Question for Teachers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by USA70SM, Jul 17, 2017.

1. USA70SM

USA70SM New Member

Jul 17, 2017

Hi everyone I just joined this board

I have a question for Teachers on here:
    Let's say an Elementary (or 5th/6th Grade) student starts out the school year with excellent grades with out standing school attendance but then by the middle of the year that student starts missing school and grades start dropping.

What are the main causes for that to happen? If a kid goes from A's & B's to C's and D's and fform being in school every single day to start missing school on weekly basis?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2017

There could be many reasons. Have you experienced this situation in your classroom?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  4. USA70SM

USA70SM New Member

Jul 17, 2017

No was just something I was wondering.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2017

Are you a teacher? What are your thoughts on this?

6. USA70SM

USA70SM New Member

Jul 17, 2017

No I am not a teacher. tbh. I am doing some research and was talking to a relative about semtihng.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2017

Seems like a classroom assignment, truthfully.

8. USA70SM

USA70SM New Member

Jul 17, 2017

No not. I done with Schol and be done for a long time. Can't I ask a simple question?

9. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Jul 17, 2017

this seems like a weird troll of some type.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2017

We tend to respond better when someone shares their own thoughts on a topic. Especially when a first post sounds like a hw question or someone isn't a teacher and doesn't seem forthcoming. So let's start over...
    Why do you think a competent student would start failing and not attending school? Share your thoughts and we will add ours.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    anon55 likes this.
  11. TexasTch

TexasTch Rookie

Aug 15, 2017

Home. We never know what is going on at home. Someone could be gravely ill or be dying. Some might have actually died. There may be a divorce happening, fights over custody, abuse, neglect, puberty, the alignment of the planets...full moons. There are so many reasons that have nothing to do with school. I have taught in very low socio economic schools, where school is the ONLY positive thing in their lives. However, their parents may not agree, or their parents may be in turmoil. A child can only get to school with help from their parents. I've had fourth graders who had to get themselves and younger siblings up and to school. If a child is scared, sick, abused, or hungry, learning is the last thing on their minds. Try to talk to the school counselor, and admin. Come up with a strategy to help the child, if possible.

12. TexasTch

TexasTch Rookie

Aug 15, 2017

I feel like an idiot to responding, now. I just saw the more recent posts. I think maybe school would be beneficial, and please don't be "done" with it.

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2017

I thought this was a parent.

I cut school regularly, flunked my fair share of assignments, and I still turned out ok.

I have a decent level of intelligence, a family that could financially afford to support me while in school (meaning I ate even when not working, low middle class), and a strong work ethic though.