Question for parents and/or teachers about school projects

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mandagap06, Feb 4, 2010.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 4, 2010

Ok what do you think as a teacher when you give your students a project to do and then their parent(s) do it for them? Or what do you think as a parent would you do a project for your child? Example: I know a lady(who is a teacher mind you) who has a kindergarten child and they were working on 100th day projects(I am sure you have all heard of this).Well The mom made the project for her. It was a tshirt with a painted on gumball machine(using fabric paint) and the 100 gum balls were made using those cotton ball looking things that are all diff colors. I mean I am sure the teacher didn't say parents here is a project for you to do and bring in, but she might as well. I mean ya a 5/6 yr old is not going to be able to go to the store, pick out materials and buy them , but they can do a project as long as it is geared for there age. I can always tell when I see projects on the halls when a child did it or there parents.

3. Toak

Toak Cohort

Feb 4, 2010

When I was going through college there was a student at a local elementary school whose parent always did his homework (and made no secret about it). The kid never had any clue how to do anything, but his mom felt he should get A's because his homework was always correct. I heard that the school started having the boy due all of his homework during the school day so that his mom couldn't do it for him

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 4, 2010

I think its fine for a child at that age to work with their parents to plan out, design and decide what materials to use, and have parental help making the project. Sometimes a student needs the support and encouragement of a parent to get something done. But the child must play a large role in it--- not the parent.

My Mom would help me write out research papers, go over grammar with me, and would type it for me (at that age I couldn't type fast enough yet). But during that time she taught me great lessons on how to research, plan an outline, improve upon my grammar (I still stink at it though), and now I'm typing at over 80+ words a minute. So while she helped me with the project, she taught me much more than if I had done the project on my own.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2010

I think that as long as teachers continue to reward parent made projects with good grades, it's going to continue.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 4, 2010

Excellent point Alice.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2010

I agree Alice!

I try to do many projects in school so that I don't run into that issue. I do my best to provide resources and materials and let the kids go from there. But of course at the k and other early levels, a project that goes home is going to have parent help.

8. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Feb 4, 2010

I don't think it's fair to the other students or the child at all.

When I was in 5th grade, we had a project to make an indian house. I was really excited because I have indian background. I asked my mom to help me get stuff for it. Well, as it turned out, she ended up doing the whole project because I wasn't doing it right. I was furious that my mom did MY project. I got an A of course but I thought that my mom got an A while I didn't.

9. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Feb 5, 2010

I specifically write on any at home projects that "I expect to see the work of a x grader and this project should be done with minimal adult help." I also say that I will not accept any work that appears to have been done by someone else, and that any project like that would have to be redone. I'd do this for K, too, maybe not for the student but to get the message across to their parents.

10. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 6, 2010

That is just it the parent did not help her. She did it for her the child did not help at all.