Question for English Teachers

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Ben0075, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Ben0075

Ben0075 Rookie

Apr 29, 2013

How would you describe your teaching style? How do you teach reading and writing? Need help, I have an interview for a 7th grade English/History position and I need help.

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 29, 2013

Not to be flippant, but isn't this something only YOU can answer in an interview?

Feel free to put some ideas together to share with us and we can help you hone them for an interview.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 29, 2013

When's the interview, Ben0075?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2013

My district uses a workshop approach...you should answer in a way that paints a pcture of who YOU are as a teacher of literacy.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2013

Breathe and remember what you were like when you student taught. Have you grown since then? Talk about that.

7. Ben0075

Ben0075 Rookie

Apr 30, 2013

I have two. One is tomorrow and one is on the 8th. My reservations is that I have Multiple Subject Credential to teach K-8. Both jobs are in ELA/History but at the middle school level. My student teaching was in a 5th grade classroom. I learned a lot of strategies that work at the elementary level and, as a result, I do not want to go into the interview with strategies/teaching style that "they" feel will not work with middle school students.

I love Reader' Writer's Workshop, and would love to use aspects of it at the middle school level. In particular students' ownership of the reading and writing process and the use of student collaboration (exchanging ideas, cooperative group discussions, peer review). In addition, I just learned how to do/use an Interactive Notebook in the class and will want to incorporated them into my mini lessons and the students' workshops. I love children's literature and poetry and that is what I use to teach reading and writing.

Sample Rough Sketch
    Warmup: Journal Prompt/Grammar

Mini Lesson: Teaching a reading/writing or sometimes a grammar skill

Workshop where students are reading/writing...I found this resource online and love it

http://www.greatsource.com/rehand/6-8/pdfs/Writing_Workshop.pdf

Sorry if I am all over the place, typing before work.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 30, 2013

This is all great stuff to talk about.
    Writers workshop works all the way up the collegiate level. I use it in my HS and college classes.

Modeling is important (I model writing and use students writing as a model). Exemplar texts is very useful (this may be what you mean when you mention using children's literature).

Stay away from teaching grammar in isolation. (You didn't mention that, this is just an idea that used to be popular).

We stress the writing process: planning, drafting, revising, editing, publishing.

You might consider ways to publish your student writing so their reading audience expands beyond peers and instructor (blogs, etc).

We assess writing on the 6 Traits.

My favorite writing/reading guru is Kelly Gallagher. A google search will get you to his materials.