Question about courses that are valid for renewing teaching license

Discussion in 'General Education' started by electra, Sep 9, 2017.

1. electra

electra New Member

Sep 9, 2017

Hi everyone, not sure this is a topic discussed here. I'll try it, anyway! So, I have to renew my professional teaching license (Colorado) by next year, and have found a whole slew of related courses on EdX. You can pay to get a valid certificate stating that you've completed the course, but it doesn't have the hours on the certificate (i.e. I need 90 clock hours, eventually). It DOES state the expected 'effort' and hours of the class in the course description (self-paced class), but...Nobody at CDE can tell me if this would be accepted or not. Does anyone have experience with these (or MOOC) courses? Thanks so much.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2017

I would tell you not to waste your time or money on something that doesn't have a policy in place already. I have no knowledge but if it's needed for credit it's not worth the risk.

If it's just yearly PD for your school (we have a 20 hour per year requirement), talk to your school about creating a policy. They could even create certs for you probably.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 9, 2017

are you currently employed as a teacher?

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2017

I got the impression it was more of a pd hour situation, but now that you say that, maybe they still require pd to keep the license whether it's being used or not.