Question about certification in other subjects...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Caesar753, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

I teach in Nevada. I am currently licensed in and teach secondary Latin. I'm interested in becoming certified to teach in other subject areas, but I'm not interested in going back to school right now.

I read an older post about how in some states a teacher can get certified in other subjects just by passing a state test. Does anyone know if this is true in Nevada? Where could I find that information?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2007

I'd check with the Nevada agency that issued your license for Latin. (Latin ought to make you a relatively hot ticket, these days. You might want to look into developing a class in academic vocabulary for kids who don't want to take Latin but do want to shine on the SAT.)

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

I'm wanting to be certified/endorsed in another subject like ELL or English just in case, you know?

Right now our Latin program is totally saturated--there are more students than seats. My classes run about 35-40 students, which is incredible to me! I'd love to add a class for legal terms or vocabulary-building or even mythology, but I don't think my school would pull me from the Latin classes. I definitely love Latin and wouldn't want to leave it, but I guess you never know what might happen down the road in terms of budgets and funding.... I'm thinking that if I'm able to teach something like ELL, I'll always have a job in my district, no matter what.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 12, 2007

I did say Latin would be a hot ticket...

Ave, magistra!