Question About Becoming Teacher NC with Misdemeanor Larceny!??!?!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AtoZteacheruser, Aug 4, 2014.

1. AtoZteacheruser

AtoZteacheruser New Member

Aug 4, 2014

Okay, so I know this looks so horribly wrong and you are completely right it is! What happened was I am 18 recently started working at a daycare. I passed my background check and stuff. Well I was at the store when I was buying a large amount of items and placed a bottle of perfume in the top part of the cart. I later placed my purse on top of it not knowingly not intentionally!! Later as I left I was stopped and accused of stealing it purposely! I honestly did not mean too!! Anyways long story short I went to court was convicted of misdemeanor larceny. I am in NC and was wondering will this affect my chances of becoming a teacher?!? I really do not want it to!

In addition will this cause me to be disqualified from the renewal of the background check to continue being a childcare provider?!? I have already spoken to my boss and he said no worries as long as I pass my background check (which the renewal is not until 3 years from now). Any advice tips suggestions!:?? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 4, 2014

My advice would be to talk to a lawyer. If this is as minor as you are describing, and you stay out of trouble while you're in college, I'm guessing your record would get expunged. A lawyer would be able to tell you exactly how that would work though.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2014

Interesting first post.:dizzy: have you looked into expungement?

5. AtoZteacheruser

AtoZteacheruser New Member

Aug 5, 2014

In NC you have to wait 15 years to get it expunged. Will this be an issue with working at a school?

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 5, 2014

If it's on your record... yeah, it will be an issue.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 5, 2014

When I was applying, a lot of applications asked if I was convicted of only a felony. Your best bet would be to talk to your advisor about it. If you're only 18, you'll be able to put a few years between it. Many districts also have an area for you to explain any record you may have. In a tight job market, most applications are disregarded if the applicant checked the yes box to having a record :(

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 5, 2014

Sorry this happened to you. I used to work in retail and that happened lots of time (I believe people do forget to take stuff out of the top basket unintentionally). If job applications ask about a felony only then you're probably ok. It seems minor in comparison to the people here talking about having DUIs and drug charges on their record.

9. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Aug 5, 2014

I KNOW it isn't impossible. It could come down to what district and how high their need is. It is why I am teaching in the last county I thought I would ever teach in!

Best advice, you have a couple of years to put in between you and the misdemeanor. Make sure they look reeeaaaal good ;) Always explain the circumstances when they ask, and add in the good stuff you have been doing if appropriate.

10. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Aug 5, 2014

I agree with the advice you've been given so far.

My mom has a misdemeanor larceny charge because one of her friends worked retail and gave her things. She didn't know they were "stolen," but since she took everything that was given to her, she was considered an associate and was charged. It happened when she was in her 30's. She finished nursing school in her early 40's and was concerned about her record. To get into nursing school (and this is the same for many teaching schools), you have to pass a background check. It came up on her record, so she had to write a letter to the dean and was approved. She also had to write a letter explaining her circumstances when she applied for her RN license and when she applied for a job. She's been a nurse now for 10 years.

It isn't always a dealbreaker, especially if you are honest about it. You may have to write letters. The only difference is that the RN market is a lot easier job-wise than is the teaching market.

Good luck to you!

11. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Aug 5, 2014

I know this isn't exactly the same but my husband has a few misdemeanor charges involving assault from his 20's, he is now 38. These charges always show up on a background check. Last year when he was looking for a new job he had to do several background checks and security clearances. He was still approved to work in a state prison and a civilian job with the military, because none were felonies or involved drugs. Although he is not a teacher these jobs do many times have strict background check requirements and I would think assault is more serious than larceny and he was still approved.

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 5, 2014

I got a misdemeanor for something dumb I did when I was 19. I was a young and dumb college student. On nearly every application at that time, I was required to put down the dumb thing I did. It wasn't stealing and it wasn't strange, but it was breaking the law. Since it was a misdemeanor, it never interfered with getting my teacher's license. It never effected me getting a teacher's job. Since then, I have not broken any laws and my record is clean.

Each time on my application, there was a place to describe what happened in my own words. That might be helpful to you as well.

My advice to you is first see if there is any way to get this off your record. You don't need to say why. My second piece of advice is that if you are able to make sure no more mistakes like this happen again, it will look like you made a mistake and learned from it. It will probably effect you more with jobs in the near future than with trying to get a teaching job later.

On a side note, I use to work retail. Our most frequent items stolen were cologne and perfume. This is why a store might be a bit extra harsh with your mistake.

Good luck to you.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 5, 2014

1. Contact a lawyer. This kind of thing will have you worrying every time you have a background check done.
    2. Get the exact definition of what it is called. Some misdemeanors are not considered big enough to mention.
    3. If anyone can find a way to have this expunged or sealed, go for it, within reason. Sometimes based on flawless post incident behavior, it can be taken off, but someone connected to the law will need to be involved. Therefore, see #1.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 6, 2014

Day Care backgrounds are interested in DUI and drug charges. I would not worry until you have been asked and replied, and did not get the job. Then, I would seek legal advice. Do have it expunged when the time comes.