qualifying Praxis scores will be based on a candidate's overall GPA

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HMM, Apr 23, 2010.

1. HMM

HMM Cohort

Apr 23, 2010

3. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Apr 23, 2010

I like the idea... It rewards the students who work at their GPA. I hear that a lot of states will be changing the Praxis requirements in the near future. On another note; here in N.C most all colleges required students in an Education program to take and pass the Praxis 1 before taking any 400 level classes and now they are doing away with this requirement. Private colleges are still holding on to this standard for now.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 23, 2010

I don't know. I'm on the fence with this one.

On the one hand, some people do really well in classes, but not so well on "high stakes" tests. This takes some of the pressure off of those people.

On the other hand, how do you ensure that some colleges or professors don't make it easier to get higher grades so their students can qualify for the lower score requirement? I think some of the purpose of these types of exams is to help ensure that colleges are teaching at similar levels. How do you keep Joe's College of Easy A's from dumbing down their standards?

5. HMM

HMM Cohort

Apr 23, 2010

That is one of the problems I have with the new policy. Grade inflation is already a problem at a lot of institutions. In addition (since is it overall GPA) what if you take a bunch of hard electives and I take the easiest classes I can find to fulfill my elective requirements.

Also, your GPA is only taken into account when you apply for your license. So if you have a 3.8 GPA and take the exam as a junior and you only pass by a few points should you schedule to retake the exam or are you going to hold out to see if you can maintain your 3.8.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 23, 2010

The thing that came to mind when I read that was a situation with the School of Nursing at the University of Miami. UM is NOT cheap. You would expect that their standards are high, yet, their nursing school was put on probation several years ago because the percentage of their graduates who passed the nursing boards was well below the national average. Now, these students had decent GPA's, but they still weren't passing a standardized exam. The failure rate indicated a problem with the school. Without something to ensure that every school was teaching to a minimum standard, what does GPA really mean?

7. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Apr 23, 2010

This concerns me as well, as I excelled on my Praxis Exam. (I got one of those nice certificate) However I attended WGU, whose competence based program gives no grades and a pass is worth 3.0, In which case I would have barely passed the test.

Maybe the answer is to use both. Figure out a way to merge the 2 into a qualifying score of some sort.

8. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Apr 23, 2010

WAIT!
    So will my old score that failed by one point now qualify?!

9. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Apr 23, 2010

Nevermind...this is PA :(

10. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 23, 2010

Even at the lowest GPA, the qualifying scores are ridiculously low (ie the lowest qualifying score for Middle school science is 150 - you pretty much have to fall asleep before finishing the exam to score that low)

11. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Apr 23, 2010

Have you taken the middle school science?
    It was insanely hard.

12. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 23, 2010

Yes, I took it in March and that's what I based my above statement on. I scored 174, and that was with needing to spend an entire hour of the allotted time fixing my essays because I had accidentally written two of them in the wrong blanks. And as such, I didn't get to go back and check any answers I wasn't sure of. I'm rather annoyed that I spent any time studying for it (though the fact that 99% of what I studied wasn't on my exam is a big part of that annoyance)

Some of the questions are hard, if you aren't familiar with the topic - ie most of my questions were about balancing various chemical equations, something I had spent 0 time on reviewing. But when you look at all the score components for the entire test, even with multiple hard questions, there's no reason at all why someone shouldn't be able to score 150 on their first try

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Apr 23, 2010

I scored a 156 without studying, but still found it insanely difficult. One of my essays asked me to find what elements I had by listing their half life. I bet who ever my response had a nice laugh.

I think GPA should be a factor though because I missed passing by 1 point.

14. Rags84

Rags84 New Member

May 19, 2010

I'm new here so I hope I am posting correctly.

Here are the facts:

I received my bachelors degree/certification in Elem Ed at Florida Atlantic University.
    My GPA was 3.8
    I took PRAXIS 1 and passed all the tests.
    I took PRAXIS 0511 and 0011 in march. I passed 0511 and failed by three points for the 0011 test. I received a 165 and needed a 168.
    I retook the PRAXIS 0011 test in April and received a 167 (2 points below passing score.)
    On my score report, it says that I did not pass.

According to the link posted and my GPA, I should only need 161 points to pass the 0011 test.
    Why is my score report telling me that I failed it by 1 point if the GPA number requires a lower score? The score report even says that my GPA is 3.5-4.0.

I am going to call the PA board of education tomorrow but maybe someone can shed light on whether or not I'm getting excited for nothing.

Thank you.

15. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

May 19, 2010

PA already has a GPA requirement. You have to maintain at least a 3.0.

16. Rags84

Rags84 New Member

May 19, 2010

"PA already has a GPA requirement. You have to maintain at least a 3.0. "

I'm not sure what you mean, if you are responding to me. Do you mean that I do need to receive a 168 on the PRAXIS test 0011, regardless? I am no longer am in school, I have my BA degree in elementary education. When I graduated, my final GPA was 3.8.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 19, 2010

The link HMM posted said it applies to scores received after January 1, 2010.

18. Rags84

Rags84 New Member

May 19, 2010

Right, and my score just came out yesterday. So does this mean I don't have to take it again since my GPA is 3.8?

Did this mean I didn't even have to take it again when I got the score in March and I received a 165?

If indeed the GPA determines what the passing PRAXIS score must be, why would the PRAXIS score report say I need a 168 to pass?

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 19, 2010

Oh, sorry, for some reason I thought you were talking about 2009. I would assume that passing scores are set by the examining board, and since PRAXIS is a test that's used in multiple states, then they just say what's passing or not according to their standards. If PA wants to use lower qualifying scores to issue a state license, then that would be at the state level, and not having anything to do with the PRAXIS people themselves. If you're trying to get licensed in PA, then I would contact the state DOE.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Multitudinous

May 20, 2010

If Praxis still issues both a preliminary or unofficial score report and an official one, wait for the official one before you panic, please, Rags.

In any case, do contact your state board of ed, but you're asking for clarification.

And yours wouldn't be the first case of its kind.

21. teach42

teach42 Comrade

May 20, 2010

The variation in scores aren't that much so i don't think it really matters unless you have a score that's on the border. anyhow, i think it odd though that they would list qualifying scores for gpas less than 3.0 since i thought that was the requirement to get certification.