Putting Words in ABC Order

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by vsimpkins, Jan 6, 2007.

1. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jan 6, 2007

I have 1st graders that have a difficult time putting their spelling words in ABC order. I have been doing this as a whole group, but I feel that they should be able to grasp this skill by now. I thought of making small flash cards with the spelling words that the students can cut out and place in ABC oder before writing down. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 6, 2007

I think the flash cards are a great idea. My third graders had a very hard time grasping the concept at the beginning of this year (apparently they had never done it before). I found that they got very frustrated with the assignment if they needed to erase because they forgot or misplaced a word. The flash cards would solve that problem.

One of the things I have my students do is write the alphabet down on a sheet of paper and cross out the letters as they go along. This keeps them from skipping letters.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2007

I don't know how common this is, but my son's teacher had them number the words before they wrote them in order. If they somehow missed a word, at least all they had to do was re-number, not re-write.

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jan 6, 2007

My son just started doing abc order with his spelling words this year and he is in 5th grade! Personally, I think first grade is too soon.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 6, 2007

I don't think it's too early. They're definitely capable of mastering that skill.
    Keep in mind, first graders don't usually have as many spelling words as the kids do in the older grades.

7. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jan 6, 2007

I don't think first grade is too soon either. I do alphabetical order (whole group) with my kindergartners.

8. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jan 6, 2007

I teach 2nd grade and do the ABC order with their spelling words together as a class until December. I put the words on magnetic flash cards. I have them in order of their spelling in in their workbook so that it lloks the same. I have them number the words in school and then copy them in order for homework.
    After the holiday break, they start doing it for homework.

9. CBean

CBean Rookie

Jan 6, 2007

You can put the week's words on word cards in a pocket chart. Then, you can mix them up and a warm-up activity, have the class help your or take turns putting words them back in order. At the end, mix them up again and let the students work in pairs using the pocket chart as one of your centers.

10. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2007

I teach first and we often put our spelling words in ABC order. They have caught on pretty good this year.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 6, 2007

You could make a spelling dictionary.
    Type all their words so far, then add lines under each alphabetical page for more words. Each page is a separate letter. It doesn't have to be ABC order under that letter.

Our kids copy their new words in it every Mon. Finding the letters with so many pages, helps master the skill (w/ practice). We follow up with ABC order homework. You can play games with it later too. "I know a word, starting with an "s" that is an animal." (snail) They can take it home for the summer. Also practice writing neat.

Struggle Prompts: Stop them on that page. Ask them to look at the ABC chart and find the letter from their page. Next, find the letter they need. Is it before or after?

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 6, 2007

Maybe do a mini-lesson a couple times a week with 3-5 words during your reading block...?

13. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jan 6, 2007

These are some great ideas. I did make a dictionary for the students to ask for spellings of words that they are writing a sentence with the spelling words (we do this once a week) and when they are writing a story or whatever the task is. We are just getting the 1st graders ready for 2nd grade to put words in ABC order.

14. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2007

We do it occasionally whole group but I don't think my first graders could do this independently...too hard
    :eek:

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 7, 2007

I do it with my special ed. class (K-2) and my 1st and 2nd graders can do it with at least 15 words and I usually put in a couple of words that they have to look at the second letter. They love putting things in ABC order -- I usually do it as a cut and glue activity. They cut them, put them in order, show the teacher, and then glue them. My class also likes looking up words in the dictionary. They actually cheer when I tell them they get to ABC order or a dictionary sheet :rolleyes: .

I have 1 non-reader and 1 very low reader and although they do not need these skill now, they always want to participate too.

16. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2007

Hanvan they could. We have been doing it for about 2 months now. At first we did whole group now they are on their own. Of course we only have 6 spelling words each week. Ocasionally I will throw in some extra bring it up to 10 words but really, they can do it quite well on their own.

17. Teach2007

Teach2007 New Member

Jan 7, 2007

Hi! In regarding to your question I have found this strategy to work well. I work in small group with an alphabet strip. I have the words(high frequency,spelling etc. already on index cards)and they place them on the alphabet strip. It's vertical if it's ABC Order to the 2nd letter. I have found that they need the visual that this technique allows. I hope it helps. Donna

18. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

Jan 7, 2007

I just startred this this week and they seem to be catching on - but I am not getting very comlicated at all.
    I started with words that start with the letters ABC and put the first letter in red.
    It looks like this
    all
    big
    cat
    I explained that the first letters are in abc order. Then I erased them, and they put them in abc oder. Keep putting that first letter in red. then I tried other words with consecutive first letters, like gef, rst, and they really caught on. I stopped there, but I plan on doing non consecutive letters this week. Then maybe aftyer they have it really down pat in a couple of weeks I'll start with looking at the second letter. I just think that this can get really confusing if you dont break it down into very simple steps.

19. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jan 7, 2007

I taught 1st Grade during student teaching and 2nd Grade the past 2years. Something that was always helpful for my students in both grades was making cards with the words and having students come up and hold them. We would physically move the children around and talk through the thought process.

20. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 7, 2007

It's also a good idea to start with putting letter cards in order, before moving on to whole words, especially with your low readers. This can be whole group and a center.