Putting My Mouth Where the Money Is...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherman1, Jan 20, 2013.

1. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jan 20, 2013

As you know I resigned my position a month ago on YouTube and some good things have come out of it. I've been asked to speak at the Department of Ed Occupation in April along with Diane Ravitch, Stephen Krashen, Nancy Carlson-Paige and Kris Nielson. I'll be the first speaker on Friday, April 5th (9:20 AM) so if you happen to be in the area, please stop by.

The 2nd good thing is that the "Montessori Madmen" have offered me a full scholarship to their teacher training school (and a position if I complete the course). I visited their school in Peacedale, Rhode Island and absolutely loved what I saw, but the problem is I'm 61 years old and not willing to spend another full year of my life going to school.

My friends and family are trying to get me to open a tutoring service, but I don't want to go through the time and expense and hassle of setting up a small business. So I'm trying something really outside the box. I'm offering my tutoring service to the highest bidder on e-bay and guaranteeing results. If I can't get your dyslexic child to read on or above grade level, I won't charge a dollar for my time. To see the ad, click here
    Wish me luck!:)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2013

That is incredibly exciting. Please let us know if it's going to be televised so we can all watch. You're going to be alongside some strong people. What an honor!

Why not take some time to learn? If I still have my brain when I retire, I'm going to spend as much time as a student as possible.

4. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jan 20, 2013

You really do think outside the box!

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2013

So, you quit because your creativity was boxed in by testing and now you offer your services to be measured by... testing?

I'm really confused.

6. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jan 20, 2013

Not sure what you mean by that. I teach kids to read. That's it. Everything I've done so far has been voluntary - and I plan to continue that. In fact, I've gotten two new students this past week.

I'm just hoping that I can connect with a few people who are well off and can afford paying what the service is really worth. Then at least I'll be able to make a living until I hit retirement age.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2013

So you're planning to continue voluntary but hope to connect with a few well off clients who can pay...like rock guy, I'm confused. You seem to be saying two things at once.

As teachers, we all 'dance to the music'. Curriculum changes, testing places demands on us,new evaluation systems,legally binding education plans to carry out with individual students. We may not agree with everything we are asked to do. Some of us have more freedom than others, some have a more complicated dance. We do what we can for our students within the parameters placed upon us...whatever those parameters are: time, budget, philosophies, edicts...but truthfully, you put yourself in a precarious position of having to 'make a living until retirement age'...some would call you a hero, some would call you a fool.
    Good luck to you.

8. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Jan 20, 2013

If you're not in danger of going hungry, I think you made the right choice. Too many do things they don't love...and life is not meant to just "get through". Additionally, we tend to think we need so much more than we do.

So your plan is to freely help students who would otherwise go unhelped, but you'll accept payment from those families who can afford it? It actually makes sense to me. I think plenty of people do similar things.

As to the ad, though, I think $500 as a starting bid is quite high. It's not too high to give your child the "gift" of reading, but there isn't much in the ad to convince someone you're worth that much money upfont. Maybe some sort of contract/payment plan?

If this eBay thing doesn't work, have you considered ads in your local papers?

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2013

For $500, I tutor 7 hours. I get results, but unlimited tutoring for that amount isn't going to pay the bills....

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2013

This is all getting to be too much.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2013

Yup.

12. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Jan 20, 2013

I agree. I think there needs to be a contract which stipulates a few things... Unlimited could lead to lots of headaches. If for whatever reason you can't help a child, you will be forced to continue giving him or her your time long after the $500 worth of tutoring has passed...which means you won't have time to take on additional paying clients. But again, if you are not in a bad financial situation this may not be an issue. If your spouse works or you have good savings, you may be able to gamble a bit.

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Jan 21, 2013

I know I'm pretty new to this, but I'm curious as to the rationale for advertising the fact that you quit publicly and made a Youtube video of it on your eBay page.

Is that a tactic to sell yourself to potential clients?

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 21, 2013

:cool:

15. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jan 21, 2013

Wow. Words fail me. :mellow:

16. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jan 21, 2013

Yes, but only if the potential client actually listens to the whole YouTube video. The fact that I was tutoring my lowest performing students from my class to get them reading (and they were) free of charge and on my own time - and then to be told that that was not allowed - was the "Icing on the cake" when it came to making my decision to quit.

17. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jan 21, 2013

Teacherman,

I have a question. I know that you are excited about the gains you made with dyslexic children and reading. I was wondering if you found that the reading program you used also helped low students in reading who were not dyslexic.

18. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jan 21, 2013

What I am doing works with any reading program. All I am doing is encouraging struggling students to position their reading material in a way that allows them to read it. Some kids have to have it on an angle to the left, some to the right. Some kids need to have it completely upside down.

What is the big deal, if they are actually reading?

I can't give you a definite scientific explanation why it works, but I do have some ideas - and no one has come forward to prove them wrong. Please look at my website - pireading.com

It really isn't rocket science. It's just common sense.

Steve:)

PS You might also like to look at the entire collection of YouTube videos.

19. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jan 21, 2013

I am not sure how good your reading program is. I am sure you have had some success or you would not be taking the time to nationally promote it. If you really can get any child to read in a reasonable amount of time, then I would suggest being your own private tutor at $30/hour possibly with a money back guarantee if they are not satisfied after ___ tutoring sessions. I think this might help lots more children than the one or two possible parents that might bite at your ebay ad. There are lots of children out there who need help with reading.

I am glad you are excited to help children to help to read.

20. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jan 21, 2013

I agree, and that is why I still volunteer at New Hope Academy. To date I've worked with Tiger, Isaiah, Jacob, and Kyra. Three out of the four have successfully transitioned to reading conventionally and one still needs some support.

Last week I started working with a bright little kindergartener named Alexandrina and this week I'll be starting with a new 2nd grade boy. Here's the video of my first session with Alexandrina and hopefully I'll be uploading another this week.

If you consider that the school's primary students total no more than 25 kids, 6 is a pretty significant portion - close to 25%....

You're right - there are a lot of children out there who need help reading.

Steve

21. cutieturtle07

cutieturtle07 Rookie

Jan 22, 2013

I guess parents should just take their kids to the free services you offer at the Academy. Why pay 500 dollars when kids can get the same services for free. Thanks for the tip. Have a good day.