Put on some pants!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by porque_pig, Nov 2, 2010.

1. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Nov 2, 2010

Hello all,

I have a question about dress code rules. Quite a few of the young ladies at my school wear leggings on a regular basis. Many wear them under dresses or skirts (some short, some long). Others wear leggings as PANTS, and I'm curious about what your schools have to say about leggings. Do your schools have any explicit rules about leggings? I would like to approach my female students and request that they go back to their dorms and get dressed, but I don't know if that would be out of line.

On a related note, we were doing an activity in which I named a brand of some consumer product and my students named the body part associated with that product (it's a Spanish activity). When I named a few brands of pantyhose hoping to elicit the response "legs," my students stared blankly at me. None of the girls in my class wear pantyhose! I'm not much older than my students, so I was surprised that we held such distinct views on clothing. It's no wonder many girls are unable to dress appropriately for jobs once they move on to the professional world.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2010

Well, each school is different, of course. We are professional/casual. I see teachers wear leggings, but they are under dresses. I am not sure I have seen any wear them this year though, and I remember our coordinator mentioning them in a meeting once. So, I guess I am not sure if they are still allowed or not.

4. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2010

What kind of school is it, and is there an explicit policy in place?

"go back to their dorms" sounds like college students.

5. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Nov 2, 2010

They're college students. I doubt that there is an explicit policy in place, but I was wondering about what middle schools and high schools say. I hope to teach in a high school next year, and I want to know if most schools have a policy about leggings.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2010

My kids are in uniforms.

But for a dance or other school events, leggings do NOT count as pants.

7. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Nov 2, 2010

We really don't have a problem with students wearing leggings -- but, there are a couple of young teachers that do! :down: Leggings with a blouse or short, short dress -- my 8th grade guys LOVE it. :eek: It's rather embarrassing to the rest of us and not because we are older and pleasantly plump. :eek:

8. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Nov 2, 2010

You can be professional without pantyhose--I wear opaque tights with dresses/skirts or I wear pants suits.

Our kids wear uniforms which can include skirts and girls will wear leggings under skirts--they are not allowed to wear leggings in place of their uniform pants though. I see some of the teachers and staff in tunics and leggings sometimes but the tunics are pretty long.

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 2, 2010

I work at an elementary school and our children are only allowed to wear leggings the way you would wear tights -- which means that they have to be under a skirt and not a super short skirt either. It has to come to at least their finger tip, but luckily, most of our older girls (4 - 6th grade ) prefer to wear pants anyway.

Alot of the little girls (k - 2) wear leggings under their jumpers or skirts in the colder months.

I think we're lucky because leggings are kind of considered a little "babyish" so the older kids, who would more likely be the ones to try and wear them like pants, don't.

I think it's totally uncalled and unprofessional for for younger teachers to wear leggings to work as pants! I'm a young teacher myself (started teaching when I was 23 and I'm 27 now) and I never wore leggings to school, not even under my clothes!

I also think teachers should avoid wearing lowcut tops -- and not just us younger teachers! My grade level chair at my old school was almost 60 and yes, she had a very nice, slim, shapely body, BUT she was always wearing these low cut, cleavage baring tops and she had a tattoo over her left breast. :eek:

10. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Nov 2, 2010

I wish leggings and skinny jeans would disappear.

11. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Nov 2, 2010

In addition to that, how about thin white pants and bright red "sexy" panties!!! :confused: She at least doesn't do this anymore. We were taught in ed school what not to wear. But even if profs don't cover this, it looks like common sense would kick in.

12. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 2, 2010

:banghead: You'd be surprised how often common sense does NOT kick in with teachers. Some of the things I've seen and heard during school hours...*shakes head, then decides to bang it into the wall some more* :banghead:

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2010

I think leggings are adorable on little girls, and they're convenient when the kids are too little to be able to zip a fly.

I wouldn't have an issue with it anywhere through the end of elementary school.

But once you hit about 6th grade, it's time to wear real pants, you know, like the big kids do.

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 2, 2010

Our dress code for students (public school) forbids leggings to be worn in the place of pants. They can be worn under a skirt or dress but not a long shirt. Getting all the teachers to enforce this is however an issue and I see several girls in leggings every day being worn with a longish shirt. If they're in my class I send them to the center to either get changed or sit in ISS for the day.

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 2, 2010

:hijack:

16. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Nov 2, 2010

I teach high school and tights are pants are a huge problem. Too often the tights are see through and you can see the girls thongs! It's kind of gross. Our school has began cracking down on them. As for the pantyhose I'm with your students here. I never wear them. I wore them with my halloween costume this weekend and was terribly uncomfortable.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2010

I wear pantyhose almost every day, as do all my female students.

18. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Nov 2, 2010

I don't wear pantyhose all the time (I only wear them in the fall and winter). And I'm with you--I prefer opaque tights most of the time. But some of my students did not even know what pantyhose were, and some situations warrant wearing them. Even some teachers on this site have dress codes that require stockings. I think a complete unawareness of what pantyhose are on the part of some of my students is what surprised me, not the fact that they don't wear them.

Also, bare legs in the winter in Massachusetts seems terrifying to me.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 2, 2010

It's not the leggings, but what you wear with them.

Someone at work showed up in leggings, super-high heels, and a tight shirt that didn't cover her entire behind. There were all kinds of comments about that outfit.

Others wear leggings with mid-thigh to knee-length shirts, dresses, and skirts. They look fine.

I've purchased my first pair of leggings since the late 80's. I haven't worn them yet. They're thick knit leggings, and I bought them to go with a mid-thigh sweater dress. I like the outfit, but I've not removed the tags from it yet! I've never been a huge fan of leggings.

The outfit is similar to this one.

[​IMG]

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 2, 2010

Well....I could describe some outfits from my classmates when I was in HS that would make everybody's hair curl. I went to a boarding school that specialized in the performing arts. To some extent, "anything goes" was the rule. I will never forget one girl who lived down the hall from me. She was, um, eccentric. Her major was Visual Arts with a concentration in costume design. Her favorite outfit was a clear vinyl sun dress with black lace underpinnings. By clear, I mean completely clear, and no, that wasn't a misprint. Even the resident drag queens thought that outfit was over the top.

I'm glad to live in the land of professionals these days. :)

21. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Nov 2, 2010

Leggings with tunics and sweater dresses are the trend right now. Lots of kids and teachers wear them these days. I see nothing wrong with them.