Pumping Breastmilk in School

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by orangetea, May 31, 2014.

1. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 31, 2014

Hi everyone, does anyone have any experience with pumping in school? I am pregnant and am leaning towards breastfeeding if possible, and am also hoping to go back to work. I was wondering if other mothers have experience pumping in school and whether it was feasible.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 31, 2014

I teacher in my hallway pumps but does it when the students are at lunch, Art, etc. (she has a DO NOT DISTURB sign on her door). The only obstacle might be finding a private place but you can do it during your free periods without anyone having an issue with it.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 31, 2014

A teacher I knew was able to use a small room in the library....

5. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 31, 2014

I pumped for five months when my youngest was born. Pumping once a day while my students were at lunch worked well. The principal helped me to locate a room where I would have privacy. Another teacher in my school pumped in her classroom, and that worked well for her.

6. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 31, 2014

I've know three teachers who did it before they came to school, on their lunch break, and their planning period. One of the nurses when I was in the hospital with DS said you could kind of "train" your body toward the end of our your maternity leave to pump at certain time so that you don't become engorged. Now, take that for what it's worth-she wasn't the most knowledgeable one of the bunch. :rolleyes: The teachers at my school locked their door and sent out an e-mail telling people what they were doing and asking that nobody unlock their door during that time.

Most hospitals have a Lactation Consultant. The hospital I delivered at didn't, so I went to another hospital for a consultation with her. She was VERY helpful. She said some insurance plans pay for pumps.

Good luck!

Beth

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 31, 2014

I pumped on my plan and at lunch. I had a great schedule so those times worked for me. On the days my pull out was in my room, I borrowed a friend's very large closet that locked. If our schedule was off due to testing, field trips, etc., I have an amazing grade level team who would cover my class so I could pump. It's very doable! I would suggest investing in a small fridge for your room to keep the milk in. Some people would be weirded out by breast milk kept in a communal fridge! You can also keep your pump parts in the fridge between pumps if you don't have time/ resources to do a full cleaning.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 31, 2014

I know the mom that pumped at school had a little like "lunch bag" that was black and kept it in there... in a fridge in main office... that way they knew what it was...

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 31, 2014

Congrats!

What is your schedule at school like? Most teachers I know who pump do so during their planning periods and lunch. They also nurse at home immediately before coming to school and immediately upon arriving home.

If you can have a small fridge to store milk in, that will be handy. If not, most pumps these days come with a small insulated bag and ice pack for temporary milk storage. You might even get a few of these insulated bags and ice packs for free from the hospital. Breastmilk is good at room temperature for 5 hours or so and in the fridge for 5 days or so. Even if you can't keep it in the fridge, it should be perfectly fine in an insulated bag with an ice pack.

Your school is obligated to provide you with a secure, private room (not a bathroom) for pumping. This is federal law. Most teachers I know use their own classrooms, but obviously that would only work if no one else uses the room, windows can be covered, doors can be locked, etc. If your room doesn't work for whatever reason, your school officials have to find you some other place to do it.

If you do decide to pump at school, I recommend a hands-free double electric pump. You can still grade, eat your lunch, work on your computer, and all that stuff while you're pumping. If you get the kind that requires you to hold onto the pump, you pretty much won't be able to do anything other than sit there and pump, which could be really inconvenient.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 31, 2014

We had three teachers at my site who pumped this school year! It wasn't a problem for any of them (at least, not that I know of). We knew that their classrooms were off limits during recess (20 minutes) and lunch (50 minutes). The only hiccup we had was when a teacher needed to house some kids in her classroom for detention. My principal covered her classroom and she went to a room within the nurse's office to pump.

11. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

May 31, 2014

I did it last year when I came back from maternity leave and again for over half of this year. I was able to do it in my own classroom during lunch and preps. My grade level team was AWESOME whenever something extra came up and always covered for me. Not the most fun way to spend lunch but definitely doable.