Pulic school teachers or private school teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mayaly, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Mayaly

Mayaly Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

Which one do you choose and why?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

I've been both- it's not always a choice, sometimes it's the job that's available. I taught private Catholic school for 2 years before moving to public school. I loved the two private schools I taught in- the families were supportive, my administration was great, and the spiritual component was meaningful....

My paycheck increased 2 1/2 times when I made the move to public- that is enough motivation for some. It's my goal to build strong family-school connections so I do foster support among the parents of the children I teach-I've been fortunate enough to teachg in public schools where family ijnvolovement and support are high to begin with...I take full advantage of and LOVE the wealth of professional development opportunities afforded me in public schools- that was something that my private schools did their best on, but reallly couldn't compete with what I experience now- it basically comes down to resources...

Some private schools have different sources of funding than Catholic Schools so it's not the case in all private schools...some private schools have competitive salaries, good benefits and professional development...and certainly, not all public schools are of the quality that I am fortunate to experience in my district.

Mayaly- why not volunteer or sub in different kinds of schools to see what kind of climate, philosophy is a match for your style? It's nice to have a choice of where to work, but truthfully, in this climate, most candidates will take any sort of teaching position in almost any educational setting. Good luck to you.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 18, 2009

I teach in a private school right now. I got this job when I didn't know where my life was going. It was the perfect job for me at the time. I love the school because it really fits my educational philosophy and the community more or less shares my values. I make ALMOST what I would make as a public school teacher. It's about 5k less a year. To me, right now, it's worth it. My school has a beautiful campus that I love walking through each day. We have great faculty that are dedicated to teaching and children in a way I never saw when I taught in public school. Mostly, I love my school because I have SO MUCH freedom to teach what I want in the classroom!

There are various factors that will go into my making a change. They are planning on putting a toll on the bridge I cross to work each day, but I am not willing to move across it to save that $. I think I can deal with the toll for awhile but my SO and I are planning on buying a house in an area rather far away... that may mean a much longer commute AND a toll. For those reasons, I would certainly go to public school or another private school within our city limits. But those are the ONLY reasons right now I would leave. It's all logistical, because my school is such a great fit for me right now!

5. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

I teach in a public school. Public schools up here pay more and have more resources. As a former private school student, I can say this teachers in private schools have far less disciplinary issues.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 18, 2009

Public. I barely make it on public teacher pay. I know I wouldn't make it on private pay. Also, the insurance, benefits, retirement and such. I needed those.

7. Ceyber

Ceyber Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

Private - who can trade a maximum class size of 18 (and I have one class with 8!), the lack of "administrivia", the ability to teach your own way, and if you have an idea, you only have to pass it through your principal, not an entire chain of command?

The pay is a bit less, but, really, job satisfaction and being able to TEACH and not MANAGE is fantastic.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 18, 2009

Public, I'm very, very satisfied with the staff and principal and, I have a sense of autonomy with many things I teach.

9. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 18, 2009

I'd take either one right now.

10. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 18, 2009

Exactly!

I also have no desire to have any connection with a union.

11. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 18, 2009

I teach private. I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to switch to public, but with my 9+ years of teaching, I find I am too expensive to get hired in public.

There are things that are good about teaching in private. Autonomy, less discipline issues, community, spiritual components of the day, etc. But the money sucks! I have a difficult time making ends meet monthly. My other big stress is I have no job security. I sign a contract that only lasts a year; in June, I have to pray they offer me a new one. And with declining enrollment, I am never sure they will!

12. sahsjing

sahsjing Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

I taught both public and private schools (Catholic and Independent), with a California teaching license in Math and Physics. It seems to me that in public school, your classroom management skill is more important than your teaching skill. But in private school, it is the opposite. Now, I am teaching at an independent school because I enjoy teaching more than management, and my two kids got free tuition to attend my school (k-12).

13. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2009

Private--I taught one year in public school and hated it. I also figured that I went to private school my entire life and send my children to private school so if I believed in them that much then that is where I should teach. I like having very few discipline issues and being able to worship with my students. I actually make more money than I would in public school.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2009

I'm in public- 19 kids in my class this year, GREAT administrators who trust professional educators, I have the freedom to 'teach my own way' but also believe that freedom comes with tremendous responsibility which I take seriously, my 'ideas' are supported by principal, parents, colleagues should I choose to include them...

My pay is really good, my job satsifaction is very high and I TEACH!

Guess it depends on WHAT school you're in, not whether it's public or private.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2009

Right now. . .any school that will hire me! I have 8 years experience, all in charter schools. I've loved it. All of my interviews this summer have been in charter schools. I have my 1st interview in a private school tomorrow!

16. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Aug 19, 2009

Iteach in a private school, and i LOVE it. Although, I have not been quite as fond of another private school I worked at. And when I taught in public, I always felt very bogged down by the piles and piles of paperwork, testing, requirements to document... I have a very supportive administration, highly experienced and amazing specialty teachers (swimming, yoga, choral music...) At public, I WAS THE PE/MUSIC/ART/EVERYTHING teacher!

17. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Aug 19, 2009

Did I mention 12 kids in my class?? That helps too!:rolleyes:

18. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2009

I was in private school for 22 years. The last year the school asked me to pass a kid with F's because his grandfather gave lots of money to the school. The admin. took parents' sides whenever they had a complaint because they didn't want to lose the tuition. Public school pay is much better, and the parents don't come in saying "I'm not paying for..." What it comes down to is where you are called. I believe I was called to that then, and to this now. You're the happiest when you are where you should be.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2009

Absolutely!

I'm in a Catholic high school. Our classes are large; I've taught as many as 45 kids, and last year's classes were mostly in the mid-to-upper 30's. But discipline in my building is largely a non-issue.

Our pay is also competitive with a lot of public schools; we average 10 local districts and that's how they come up with our pay scale.

I won't get into the "which is better" game-- it requires broad generalizations and will be wrong more than it's right.

But I'm in the right school for me. Not for everyone, but most certainly for me.

20. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

I won't get into the "which is better" game-- it requires broad generalizations and will be wrong more than it's right.

But I'm in the right school for me. Not for everyone, but most certainly for me.[/QUOTE]

Alice,
    Are you a mind reader? :lol: I think the same ,

I work in a private school and this is MY CHOICE, I´m happy there, it depends on several aspects, generalizing does not help ...

I consider when a teacher finds a school that matches with her values, methods and way of working, there´s nothing else to look for, cause you are satisfied and comfortable there!!!:)

21. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

I think it REALLY depends on the school. I taught at private school for 3 years and had a class size (4th grade) of 30! Just because it's a private school does not necessarily mean small class sizes. Also, the principal was a micromanager, and we did not have freedom to do whatever we pleased, as many have mentioned. The school-setting was very traditional, so I found it difficult to do anything out-of-the box. Also, I had a hard time with the religious aspect. I was raised Lutheran and taught at a Lutheran school, so I thought it would be a perfect fit, but I found that I disagreed with the ways that they taught these values to the children. If you are at a religious school, this can truly be a very big blessing, but if things don't align just exactly right with your own values, it can actually make things very difficult on a personal/moral level. Pay was, of course, less. Parents were not involved. I got the sense that they paid the high tuition and then worked, worked, worked to be able to afford it; they were so busy. I'm sorry if this sounds negative; there were many things I loved about the school, it just ended up not being the best fit for me.

When I moved to a public school last year, I had (out of pure luck!) only 18 students and a wonderful principal who really trusted the teachers she had hired to teach well. I felt like we had a lot of freedom to be creative. I actually had quite a few more parent volunteers and fewer discipline issues, which may have been due to the change of location (small town versus big city.)

I'll be transferred to a different public school this fall and I'm sure things will be different there, just as another private school may be much different (better fit) than my first experience.

The point I am trying to make is that all schools are so different. Sometimes you will find a private school that is actually more similar to a public school than another private school, if that makes sense. So, just because it is a private school, does not mean it will fit all of the stereotypes and may not be the perfect fit for you. Likewise, just because it is a public school, does not mean it will have what you are looking for. Look at each school for what it actually is. Apply and interview at all kinds of schools. Hopefully you will have the chance to choose the one that is best for you.