Proposal to arm teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 11, 2017.

1. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Habitué

Jan 11, 2017

Actually yes! There are news stories about crimes being prevented because someone was able to stop the "bad guy" with their own gun

Obadiah, Backroads and 2ndTimeAround like this.
  2. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Aficionado

Jan 11, 2017

yes, there are plenty of stories where good guys with guns stopped bad guys. My father carries and he has stopped two crimes (but not active shooters) by carrying. My BIL stopped a sexual assault where the victim was being subdued with a gun. My coworker stopped a home invasion by killing the man. Found out later that the man had raped two women and murdered a man during previous home invasions. You can find all kinds of cases where active shooters were stopped by armed civilians.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2017

Or from the north side of the border. I can't even imagine this.

monsieurteacher likes this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2017

So I was checking this thread when my husband told me he bought a new gun. Argh.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 11, 2017

I am actually pro-gun ownership and go to the range for fun. But I wouldn't support guns held by teachers in schools because of how many things could go wrong with it. There are enough accidents with kids getting access to guns in private homes and hurting someone or themselves with it. This is providing one gun per 30 kids with very sticky hands and only one adult to supervise all of them. Accidents WILL happen.

As part of getting my own concealed-carry license (I don't even own a gun but it was an interesting way for me to spend an afternoon one day) I had to learn a lot about gun laws in my state. Apparently it's completely legal for parents and other adults who visit the campus to concealed or open carry, but it is illegal for teachers to carry.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    dgpiaffeteach and Backroads like this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Fanatic

Jan 11, 2017

I'd be uncomfortable with teachers carrying guns at school.

If needed, I'd rather see an armed security guard placed at each campus.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Aficionado

Jan 11, 2017

decided it wasn't worth sharing!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Backroads likes this.
  8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 11, 2017

This has been talked about in my area. My teammate came from a district that was talking about arming every single teacher, which I think is completely absurd and I frankly can't see how anyone could get behind that. I don't like guns and would not feel safe in a building that had armed teachers. I would worry about students getting access to the guns and I would worry about a teacher having a mental breakdown (which unfortunately I think is not that far fetched given how stressful the profession has become) with easy access to a gun. I can say with absolutely certainty that if any policy like my teammate's old district was talking about ever came to fruition, I would quit immediately before even considering continuing to work at a school that required me to carry a gun.

Another teammate said that she knew of an extremely rural district that wanted to have armed teachers because apparently the nearest "emergency services" of any kind (including police) was over 45 minutes away. That is the only scenario where I could possibly get behind schools even entertaining the idea of arming teachers.

Upsadaisy and Backroads like this.
  9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 11, 2017

Nope, nope and more nope. I don't really care how great a shot someone is, how "well trained" they are, unless they have been in life or death situations(police officers, soldiers) I do not know how someone will react when $%#@# goes down.

I don't trust many of the people I work with to carry a gun.(Although, I do trust them to be fun to shoot with and be a fantastic shot on a range)

Working so closely with young kids....so near a firearm....nope, not in favor of this.

With that said I would not quit or leave the profession, I simply would not carry one.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Jan 11, 2017

Yes. I don't remember what state it was but an Assisstant principal had a weapon in his vehicle. He got out of the building, got his weapon, and prevented murders.

I know of about eight people on my campus who have their concealed license and some, I believe, keep them in their vehicles with permission.

I do wish they were allowed to carry on campus. I'm not at a level that I would feel comfortable getting a concealed license, but wouldn't hesitate if my ability was better.

I wouldn't want to be required to carry a weapon, but I have no problem with people with the appropriate training and certifications to do so.

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 11, 2017

I remember the mass shooting at a community college, I think in Washinton, Umqua or something, a few years ago. Fox had a live interview with a witnesses or people on campus when it happened. They were asking if they thought it could have been prevented if students were allowed to carry concealed weapons. The man they were interviewing said, "oh, me and my friend had concealed weapons".

I did not see Fox News ever replay the interview with that witness again.

dgpiaffeteach likes this.
  12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jan 11, 2017

As we are talking about research, I think we should look at the facts. In the United States there were over 33,500 gun deaths last year. In Japan there was a total of 6 deaths. That is right, 6 for the whole country, for the whole year. Japan has very strict gun control...something to think about.

dgpiaffeteach and Upsadaisy like this.
  14. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2017

I'm not entirely sure what a general gun control debate has to do with the original question of arming teachers.

ChildWhisperer likes this.
  15. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 11, 2017

Well isn't the point of arming teachers to protect themselves and students from gun attacks?
    Isn't the gun control debate about whether or not arming citizens actually makes one safer?

Backroads likes this.
  16. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2017

I think if you're arming teachers, you're participating in a form of control.

Gun control debate is more about who gets to be armed rather than if people can be armed, at least outside the extremes.

And now I'm making the thread even more political. Which was my original fear with this tangent.

:oops:

I shall go take a bath and read a romance novel now.

17. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 11, 2017

Huh? Everything you just said, sounds like a gun control debate?

18. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2017

I just don't think this thread should head into that area per forum rules.

ChildWhisperer likes this.
  19. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 12, 2017

Let's not debate other's views. Just state yours. Respect other's 2 cents by not adding disputes to it.

Thanks!

Obadiah likes this.
  20. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 12, 2017

Wow, so no conversation, just drive by posting?