Proposal to arm teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2017

In my state there is yet another proposal to arm teachers on school campuses during the instructional day. What are your thoughts on this issue? If your district allowed you to carry a weapon at school, would you do it?

3. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2017

In my state laws allow conceal carry without notification, even for teachers. I don't know if any or how many teachers at my school do so, if any.

I prefer this scenario to either forcing teachers to be armed or forbidding concealed carry.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2017

That's very interesting. In my state, which is very pro-gun, it is illegal to have a firearm or any other dangerous weapon on school property.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2017

I would consider leaving if I was required to.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Jan 11, 2017

I'm not necessarily against concealed guns in schools, but I sure would hope that the person holding the gun has extensive training and experience.

2ndTimeAround and Backroads like this.
  7. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

Jan 11, 2017

I would not do it. Depending on the circumstances, it could be the reason I would leave teaching.

8. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Companion

Jan 11, 2017

Depends on where you live,

I saw a online picture of a female Teacher in Israel herding a bunch of toddlers while wearing a machine gun on her back.

So, if you want to teach in Israel that might be a requirement

9. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2017

As they ought to. It's only sensible. Why have a gun if you don't know how to use it?

Pashtun likes this.
  10. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2017

I shall now answer the second question.

My school does allow me to carry a gun. Maybe I would if I were really, really good. And wanted to actually pay for a gun.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 11, 2017

It might be a good idea but I would not want to pack a gun on me.
    1. I need some shooting lessons and procedures training like cops take and are supposed to use.
    2. I wouldn't want a student sneaking up on me and taking my gun from my holster.
    3. They would have to pay for it.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 11, 2017

These teachers should not be made to do it, it should be based on volunteering.
    Training and ongoing practice should be required, not just with how to handle a gun or shooting, but how to respond in situations, and very importantly, the law. You can't just start shooting.
    The school district would have to pay for everything and the guns would be the property of the district, locked up at school in a safe after hours (obviously more accessible during the day.

I think it's a good idea and I would do it.

13. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2017

I agree it should be voluntary. If I didn't live in the most anti-gun state in the union, I would do it (with plenty of training.) The classroom I'm in has glass from three feet up to the ceiling; locking the door and hiding isn't going to keep anyone out.

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Jan 11, 2017

I think there are better ways to solve this problem. The money could be better spent. I o not feel safe around guns, so I would not feel safer knowing my colleagues were armed.

15. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2017

This is why I'm satisfied with my state on this. Some people may or may not have concealed weapons. Doubtfully most do. If stuff goes down and someone with a good shot happens to have a gun, so much the better. Concealed carry is totally voluntary and has nothing to do with the school, allowing money to go to other things and putting in place more specific means of school protection.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2017

Honestly I'm kind of surprised to see support for this issue here.

I'm not in favor of arming teachers. There are lots of reasons why. Is special certification or licensure necessary? The regular conceal carry classes wouldn't address the special issues present in a school setting. Who pays for the firearm, ammunition, holster, cleaning supplies, trigger lock, and safe? Does the state/district require special training? Who pays for that training? Does the state/district require field tests? Who administers those? Who pays for them? What safeguards are in place to limit a teacher's liability? What happens if an innocent/uninvolved bystander is accidentally shot during a threat? Can the teacher be held personally liable for the injury to the bystander? Can the teacher be held liable if he does not discharge his firearm during a threat? Is there a registry of teachers who are carrying firearms on any given campus? If so, who has access to that registry? Do armed teachers know who else is armed so that they don't accidentally shoot each other? How much will all this training and oversight and liability insurance cost? Would that money be better spent on hiring an actual police officer to patrol the campus?

Upsadaisy, ms.irene and Backroads like this.
  17. Backroads

Backroads Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2017

These are good questions to ask. I think a lot of them would probably be dependent on laws already in place in the state.

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 11, 2017

There is mandatory military service in Israel, so citizens are, for the main part, well trained in handling weapons properly. It's a very different place there.

Caesar753 and ms.irene like this.
  19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 11, 2017

I would honestly appreciate taking a comprehensive firearms class. I've fired guns before, but not in decades. Before I make up my mind on this issue, I'd want to learn a lot more about my own personal comfort and ability levels.

20. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Habitué

Jan 11, 2017

I would do it if allowed.
    I also agree that this would be better than banning (my current school) or forcing them to carry.
    I know for sure my fiance would be super happy since I work in an unsafe area. He really wants me to, but our school bans guns in the building.
    There's a no-guns-allowed sign posted on every single door, which to me just says "come in, bad guys, we're all unarmed!"

21. blazer

blazer Groupie

Jan 11, 2017

From our side of the pond it always seems strange that someone proposes that the answer to gun crime is to have more guns!
    Are there any instances in recent times where a shooter was prevented or stopped from committing a crime by an armed civilian?

Obadiah, ms.irene, Pashtun and 2 others like this.