Proposal for an idea and grant money to pay for it

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PEteacher07, Aug 12, 2018.

1. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Aug 12, 2018

I want a GaGa ball pit for our playground. Gaga is great cardiovascular exercise and I make a makeshift pit every year for field day and the kids absolutely love it.

I have been writing a proposal to present to my principal for a few weeks now but I have had some issues so maybe yall can help me.

The brand of pit that I want is called Coach Cliff GaGa ball pits. I want them because they have a handicap accessible kit. I do not currently have a child in a wheelchair but that doesn't mean that that can't happen in the future and the swinging door would be great for younger kids to get in and out. BUT, they are not an approved vendor for our district.

I have been looking at grants to pay for it. The Coach Cliff cost varies from $1,500- $3,000+ depending on type of wood used.

1. The Lowes toolbox for education grant will only issue the money directly to the school or to the parent organization. The school can't pay for the Coach Cliff GaGa ball pit because it's not an approved vendor. Our PTA Treasurer asked the district president if they could do it and he said no but she's going to ask for more clarification bc she doesn't understand why they can't.

2. I looked at the Home Depot Grants but they will only award the money through Home Depot gift cards. So I could buy the lumber, stain, and paint brushes, Etc through Home Depot but I can't get the Coach Cliff stuff that I want through them so I wasn't approved.

Do you have any other Grant ideas or fundraising ideas? I could do a donors choose special request project, but I'd like to avoid that.

Should I hold off on presenting my idea to my principal until I have figured out how we could pay for this? There are other Gaga pits that are available through the district approved vendors, but I wanted the pit with the accessibility. I'd be willing to compromise and go through an approved vendor vs getting nothing at all though.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 26, 2018

I've never heard of Gaga pits but our PE teacher has been successful with several grants. She posts them on Donors Choose and shares with parents and community members. Last year, she had several projects for recess and PE supplies fully funded.

Good luck. If you truly think it is something that would benefit your curriculum, perhaps your principal would be willing to fund it with school dollars.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  4. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Aug 26, 2018

The game itself covers many of my physical education TEKS with social skills, cardiovascular exercise that increases breathing and sweating, and physical learning like contrasting movement and striking, but he'd never give money to it. In fact, he takes money away from my program despite being my school's teacher of the year and one of the 4 finalists for elementary teacher of the year last year for the whole district. Because of that, I have gone through donors choose and in the past almost 2 years I funded seven projects worth over $2,000. I'm a huge donors choose advocate.

I did go ahead and share my proposal with him last week and he didn't tell me no. He told me to pass it along to my coordinator at central office to hear his thoughts. I think what this will come down to is a liability. I think the Gaga structure should be included in the liability that comes along with having a playground. Kids fall and break their arms and get hurt on the playground all the time. GaGa ball is actually a very safe game because you're playing on the ground, but that doesn't mean someone couldn't hurt themselves. It's been almost a week since I share the document with my coordinator at central office so I am going to follow up with him soon and I hope to hear some good news!

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Aug 26, 2018

What is the process for applying for a grant generally speaking? I would like to know this for professional development purposes. For example, do you first approach your department head? Or your VP or P? Once you have authorization from one or more of those individuals, do you pass along the request to the district office? Or is it just a matter of you, yourself, applying directly for it?

Thank you for your time!

6. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Aug 26, 2018

I am not an expert at grants by any means. I figured the first thing to do is to speak with your principal first. For my projects for equipment in my gym, I just did Donors Choose projects.

I thought it responsible to speak to classroom teachers and my principal first when it comes to the Gaga Ball pit because it's not something that is for my PE class, it's for recess. It's for the whole school and neighborhood to love and use. The teachers would have to monitor during recess so I didn't want to create this awesome project and push all the responsibility on them before getting a thumbs up from them.

I feel to get approval, you should go through the appropriate people. I'd start with your principal and see if they recommend going to your central office contact?

If you ever wanted to set up a Donors Choose account, you can do a professional development project where people can donate to the PD project. I don't know how many points a PD project is. (DC runs on a point system and you can earn, spend, and lose them.)

Here is a link on professional development projects.
    https://help.donorschoose.org/hc/en-us/articles/360007593013

Here is my Google Slides presentation to help you get set up. I'd get $25 to refer you, and you will get matched donations up to $50 for the first week of your project.
    https://goo.gl/cTqXXm

Here is my D.C. page so you can see what I have done: http://www.donorschoose.org/amyhancock

What type of PD do you want to do? Good luck!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Aug 28, 2018

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but it sounds like you asked your PTA about it before talking to your Principal?

8. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Aug 30, 2018

I wanted to try to get fundraising ideas in order before sharing the idea with my principal. In a Lowes Foundation grant, they'll give the funds to the school or to the parent organization. I wanted to see if I got that grant, could the PTA apply the money like I wanted them too.

In my experience with my principal, he is more open to ideas that are well thought out from start to finish.