Proofreading for other teacher's students

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Iowa_Teacher, May 7, 2009.

1. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

May 7, 2009

Okay, I am one of 3 English teachers at a high school and, while I like helping students, I want to see what you all think of this. One of the other English teachers has a paper due tomorrow and every student has to have a teacher proofread their paper. Now, the 3rd English teacher is part-time, so that leaves me. While they COULD give them to their science, math, history, health, PE, etc. teachers, they usually ask me because they figure I should know what's wrong :) Now, that's fine when it's one or two, but today I proofed 15 papers ON TOP of my own work and prep. What is your opinion on this? Should she require a teacher edit when she doesn't edit any herself?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 8, 2009

Isn't part of the coursework learning to proofread your own paper??

I think the assignment is flawed. It's giving work to other teachers instead of giving the kids the tools they'll need to proofread their own work. (And, incidentally, it cuts down on her own grading, since the errors have already been weeded out.)

It's too late for this assignment, but I would talk to the dept chair about the validity of this assignment for the future.

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 8, 2009

I also think that she should had discussed this with you and the other teachers before telling her students that a teacher has to proofread. I agree with Alice that she is trying to get out of work.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 8, 2009

Yes, there are a lot of things wrong with this situation. She should have discussed it with you. She should have known this would fall on your shoulders.

The biggest issue here, like Alice said, is kids should be proofing their own papers. Having an adult go through and fix every little mistake is cheating, in my opinion. I don't proof my own students' essays, and I don't want anyone else to, either. Reading it for content and helping or answering a specific question (Is this spelled correctly?) is one thing, but giving someone a red pen and giving them free reign to fix everything does't reflect the student's ability when it is time to grade it.

6. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

May 8, 2009

We don't have a dept. chair :)

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 8, 2009

Then your Assistant Principal or whoever oversees academics.

8. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

May 8, 2009

We're a very small school--no assistant principal. Honestly, after everything that's been going on this year, I don't want to bother our principal with something this small---maybe next year :) We'll be back in our own building then. ;)