Project Read Phonics

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by kate2, Aug 18, 2007.

1. kate2

kate2 Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Hi Everyone,

I've been busy reading all the great tips and advice posted here. I will be teaching 2nd grade this year!!! This is my first teaching job in about 11 years. I've been home raising kids!! So much has changed and I've been trying to catch up. When I went to school, the focus was on "whole language" and no phonics.
    Our school uses the Project Read Phonics program. Anyone else use this? Their website didn't provide a whole lot of information. We also use Houghton Mifflin reading which has a lot of phonics incorporated in the lessons.

Thanks

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 18, 2007

I used it briefly about five years ago. Since it's been a while, I may not remember the details. Do you have any specific questions?

4. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Aug 18, 2007

I know you are asking specifically about phonics, but I just want to tell you about another reading theory you may have "missed" while you were away. I just finished my Masters in reading and we talked a lot about it. Whole language mostly fizzled because so many teachers came to believe that you could not or should not include phonics. Then phonics began to come back, and then a new theory emerged that said there really is merit to having both... whole language activities and direct instruction in phonics. That's briefly how the "balanced approach" to literacy came to be. This strategy focuses on all the good stuff that whole language offers... real literature, not contrived stories, connecting real life experiences with hands on reading and writing, understanding that reading is developmental. It also recognizes the importance of giving direct instruction and experience in phonics patterns and phonemic awareness at developmentally appropriate times.
    I believe you should not totally give up on what you learned and valued with whole language, but simply expand your teaching so that you are sure to include the phonics. Some teachers find that difficult, with district or school mandates to follow, but I believe it is possible.

5. kate2

kate2 Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Just wondering how this program works compared to the others I have read about. I am currently reading Words Their Way and ordered Month by Month Phoncis for second grade. I haven't really had a chance to read through the Project Read manuals as I have not been able to get into the classroom yet to go through everything. I know there are 3 volumes to the program, seems like a lot. Thought I would spend 20 minutes a day on a phonics lesson that relates to the story in the reading anthology.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 18, 2007

From what I remember (which isn't much), it seems like the lessons were fairly scripted and long. I do remember that we didn't follow the book but combined the reading basal phonics, month by month phonics, and the project read phonics. That was in third grade though. I combine several programs and tweak things, which makes for longer planning, but better lessons in my opinion.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 18, 2007

I forgot about the training. Have you gone to the workshop on Project Read Phonics? There were lots of hand signals and things to help the kids remember the rules.

8. kate2

kate2 Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Thanks for the info. I agree, the lessons look very long. I was starting to get overwhelmed. I think using parts of the lessons combined with the basal reader is the best approach. I have not attended any of the Project Read worhsops yet. I am hoping there will be one in the area this fall.

9. funkychickenchi

funkychickenchi Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I recently took a training on the Project Read Phonics program. The lessons look long, but they are actually very short. Everything is broken down into short/small concepts. It tells you step by step what to do. The lessons are made to be short so you can incorporate repetition into every lesson. I chose not to use it with my students because it is a program that is ongoing (over years) and my students were in high school and it was more important to just focus on sitewords.

There is a writing program through project read as well that breaks everything down into smaller concepts.

Heidi

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 19, 2007

I love the Written Expression part of Project Read. We don't use that as a program at my school, but I use as much as I can sneak in.