Project/ Performance Based Assessment

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Aaron123, May 17, 2018.

1. Aaron123

Aaron123 New Member

May 17, 2018

Hello all! First time poster here on AtoZ.

What are your thoughts on PBA's? My specific concerns would be differentiation for behaviorally challenged classes and getting students to put forth effort.

3. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 17, 2018

I know PBA is highly popular in some sectors and I've even been known to use it on occasion. However, I believe projects should just be used as a way of encouraging students to apply their knowledge to a real-life situation - e.g. investigating a person, place or area of interest, solving a problem, etc. The assessment rubric should be limited to evaluating the student's ability to meet general expectations: e.g. statement of purpose, description of procedures, illustrations, results/conclusions.

If you intend to use PBA to assess students' mastery of a particular unit or the subject matter, keep in mind that there are many variables that could possibly affect the quality of the projects. The variability of students' organizational and research skills, ability to follow directions, concentration and perseverance will determine the quality of the final products - and may prevent some students from fully demonstrating what they know. Some students may even have an unfair advantage if their parents become too involved (arranging interviews with VIPs, constructing a scale-model, typing the report, etc.). PBA - show your enthusiasm only if it's expected by admin.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    futuremathsprof and Aaron123 like this.