Project approach! Let's learn together!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by msj, Aug 13, 2008.

1. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 7, 2008

wow, that could turn into a brand new sort of "hibranate" issue in the later fall. Sounds like a lot of fun. :D

2. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 7, 2008

Right now I am planning to start the apples/orchard idea. We began it with peaches last month. At the same time we have a huge interest in rodeos and related sports. So I think we will be firmly on the "ranch" somewhere. I don't know where yet. We have a transition week of lightness usually right when school starts, even though we are year round the act of older sibs going to school changes the environment.

3. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 9, 2008

I think we are going to do a Ladybug project. We have lots of them on the playground. The kids are really interested. I can expand it into beetles or bugs if necessary.

We will either go to a nearby farm as a fieldtrip. They release ladybugs on the crops with the kids or I can bring a box of them into our playground to release.

I'm a little nervous.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 10, 2008

Oh, I love the ladybug lesson. I usually do it in spring-but I guess it really wouldn't matter. Will you be raising them from babies (then I would imagine they would need to stay indoors with your class if you have winter) or just viewing adults?

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 10, 2008

Language project perhaps?

My projects have always been about science before. I am not sure if they always have to be, that is just what they were. So I think my class chose their project today. It is to learn to count 1-10 in 10 languages by next fall (when they enter kinder). So far we have english, spanish, chinese, japanese, american sign, we are looking into french and german and arabic. Any more ideas?

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 10, 2008

I've never thought about raising them. What a great idea. Where do you find the eggs? We don't have a real winter here. In fact, it should be pretty warm for another month.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 10, 2008

great. Insectlore.com sells catepillars, prying mantis egg sacks, tadpole eggs, and ladybug larvae. They are tiny when they arrive and I talk about how they are eggs in the mail so we can let the babies out. They also have incrediable life cycle posters. We make a small paper plate into a lady bug w/ paint on front and then draw a "map of how to grow" on the other side. We make fractions out of the plate w/a pencil and then draw what each stage looks like. it is fun. the cage insect lore can sell you for the ladybug babies will allow them to escape. we cover the cage w/ a hand towel so the babies just get out and hide. check it often. This ladybug roundup is how we decide to make the map.

see?

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 10, 2008

The other thing we are thinking about turning into a bigger project is the rodeo/ranch idea we have.

Does anyone have info on ranches, horses or any related topics? I have done horses as they fit into fair but not really much past that.

We currently have stick poines for rodeo/barrel racing (and obstacle courses) and roping area w/a real lasso (thanks Ranch and Home) and a calf head to rope, a plastic climb through barrel on its' side w/rugs on top for blankets to ride, a bounce horse, and our outdoor rabbit is out there to pet and visit. In our garden we have produce that is ready and we made an apple pie and tiny pretend carmel apples (thanks Family Fun Mag). So our fair study went well, but not to exstensive once you leave the playground-See? Can anyone help me fill out the learning centers - since I am not sure we are going to give it up?

9. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 10, 2008

Thanks WA. I did some hunting today and found Insectlore. The web site said they won't be shipping ladybug larvae until October because of the heat here in CA. But when I called the customer service rep said they are shipping Monday. I am so excited.

I'm hoping to get a Praying (Preying?) Mantis after I make my terrarium. The CS Rep said the Mantis eggs will not be available until January.

She is sending me a catalogue.

Great idea about the ladybugs with the plates.

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 10, 2008

welcome. That is what networking is for. Do you think that will be enough to get your people started? We usually read the Eric Carle books that start our "an egg lay on a leaf" to get them in the mood. So that may help you pass the time. There are a few that start that way.

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 11, 2008

Today I read a ladybug page from a scholastic bug book. We webbed what we know about ladybugs then drew pictures.

I have The Ladybug Lifecycle Series, and Labybug from the Heinemann coming early next week along with the Ladybug larvae and habitat.

I hope to visit the local nursery and have an empoyee describe how ladybugs work, what they eat, and where they live and take some back to our playground.

I'd also like to visit the local farm. They release ladybugs on the crops for the kids to see. My Kindergarten teachers do not want us to go because they want to go there. :dizzy:

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 11, 2008

they go there for ladybugs or for pumpkins? i will think of more field trips. do you have a "school garden" you could make one in a kiddie pool? getting it going could work into a trip somewhere.

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 11, 2008

Both. We tour the crops: tomatoes, green beans, corn, cucumbers, and strawberries. At one point they bring out ladybugs and put them on our arms and explain how the ladybugs are good for the crops. We watch them fly off. We pick beans or cucumbers, then walk to the pumpkin patch.

I found another farm we can visit for crops, but they don't do the ladybug thing.

We have a rose garden near attached to our campus where we can release the ladybugs. I have a few planters in my playground for planting. Its kind of late in the year for veggies. OMG I just remembered we have a garden attached to our campus- 20 feet from my back door. We can release them there!!!!!

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 11, 2008

You can release there, but you could also add a planter or whatever of dedicated ladybug habitat so that they "may stay with us". That would mean you would need to know about them-hence the studies. and that would take you to the rose bushes. Then the kids in kinder would really understand what they are doing there rather than just be standing there w/bugs on their arms. now it is a review for them?

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 12, 2008

Dzenna-

today in the school garden we say 200 million aphids and the child I was with remember we needed lady bugs. Well then we found some on the same plant. Then-Then we found eggs!!! I though of you!!

We went to the lib today to find the books for our horse unit. You would have thought that they hadn't ever seen a book-they were so excited. We go 2x a month, but this was important business since it was thier topic!!