Project approach! Let's learn together!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by msj, Aug 13, 2008.

1. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 15, 2008

I love, love, love the sample pages from Chicago! Thank yoU!

2. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 16, 2008

Ok, I will restart this one. Has anyone (especially the ones new to this plan) run a lesson that looked remotely like the awsome ones in the website posted above?

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 16, 2008

I've done some of the things- but not all- it goes over a period of weeks- not days, just so you know.

4. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 16, 2008

ChicagoTurtle- I clicked on your link and the book looked vaguely familiar. I found it in my bookshelf. I think I received it last year from NAEYC and stuck it in there. :eek:

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 16, 2008

:whistle:
    Right--I have a really enjoyed my program since I let go of the constantly changing theme idea. I really like the depth of study that can happen when you aren't running for new decorations and items. I see how the theme idea works for some, but my program and I really benifited from the idea of actually looking and thinking about the things we were engaged in.

I found the web like lesson planning idea about 2 yrs after I started the change. Seemed natural. It was in a resource book called the Visionary Director by Marge Carter and Deb Curtis. In Washington these are two very, very big names. I loved the idea of the web. Seemed to fit better with what I was doing than the chart types of forms. I really appreciated how all items seemed to origionate w/ the central idea. I tried it, and I love it now.

I make the lesson plan 1 wk ahead and then add what comes up as it does, so if Bob were to add some detail that I was going to encourage the class to delve into I would add it mid week. Then next week I would have it on the web as a regular portion. ;)

I do wonder though, how would you do this type of web in more than 1 wk hunks? How would you know where the children would be later?

Anyone?:confused:

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 16, 2008

Well since project work isn't your only thing going on- we planned for many other things and then had "project work" Theme: also on the plans. Some of it is so spontaneous- Heck half the time I feel like what is on the "plans" isn't the actuality.

7. msj

msj Companion

Aug 20, 2008

I'm so excited about all the ideas! I can't wait to try it out.

8. imat

imat Rookie

Aug 22, 2008

We just finished our project approach study on sunflowers. I just started using the project approach practices this summer and this is our fist try at it. I created a page to view. Please give me feed back!!! I need input to make the next project better. One thing I did learn was you need to have a camera in your pocket at all times or you will miss great things that are happening.
    Link:

http://kidsworldexploration.com/id80.html

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 24, 2008

OK, How do you get the pages onto the net and into the atoz forum land?

10. wann2119

wann2119 Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

I am really interested in this style of teaching, and I have been doing a little online research. Most everything I have found includes taking the kids on a field trip. Is this necessary? I know for a fact that a field trip is not possible for my class. I don't want that to stop me though.

11. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Aug 25, 2008

I do the project approach & we only do 2 field trips a year. From what I've seen of the Katz & Chard brand of "Project Approach" it is very formulaic & most of them seem to involve a field trip. Project learning doesn't have to be done exactly that way. Reggio project learning is a little different-- not as formulaic. What I've noticed is that the children do tend be more interested in things they have seen & touched, like trees or plants or bugs. The best projects are ones where the child can see & touch. Dinosaurs or space, IMO, would not work as well for project topics. But, no you don't have to go on a field trip for everything.

Here are some links that might interest you.

12. wann2119

wann2119 Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Thanks for explaining. I didn't realize that there was more than one method. I get what you mean about dinosaurs and space not working as well. I need to come up with something that is very hands on. I'm going to try and pick a topic by the end of this week and start developing it. Thanks!

13. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 26, 2008

Yeah we tried to do dinosaurs and were told it wasn't appropriate.

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 7, 2008

Now that most of the classes are opening and some maybe though thier "how to work the classroom" lessons what projects are you thinking the children may be interested in. Where are you all going from here? And will any of you need to bait your children into a "theme" before you move deeper into a "project".:anyone:

15. KarenPreK

KarenPreK Companion

Sep 7, 2008

I always think I'm going to have to "bait" my kids into a project, set up a provocation to get them interested, but then projects just fall into our lap. Right now, it is bugs. We have seen so many bugs the past several weeks: ants, caterpillars, praying mantis, centipedes, beetles, grasshoppers. Bugs are everywhere. In the past I always did a bug theme in spring, so it feels a little weird to pull out my bug books & cocoons & things now, but they are really into it. They would rather go out to the garden to search for bugs than go play on the playground.