Problem Passing VCLA

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by asingh, Jan 13, 2018 at 1:39 PM.

1. asingh

asingh Rookie

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:39 PM

Hi, I am new. I have been having difficulty passing VCLA. I have taken it six times, and still hasn't passed, yet. For writing, I received one time 82% for MC, one time 77%, and last one 71%. Two times I received score of 220. I took reading two times and received score of 235. I was wondering if I can ask for re-score for my last test. Can you please help me with how should I request for re-score? I really need to pass it before March 1st, in order to receive 5 years teaching license. Please help!

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Cohort

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:53 PM

Rescores, by and large, end up with test takers getting the exact same score. FYI, your tests are typically scored by 2-3 evaluators so that your responses are fairly and consistently assessed with a grading rubric. You are still perfectly within your right to do so, but the odds are very much stacked against you if you decide to pursue this.

How to Request a Rescore: https://www.va.nesinc.com/PageView.aspx?f=GEN_RequestingARescore.html

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 2:04 PM
  4. asingh

asingh Rookie

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:08 PM

Thank you for the information! I have been taking VCLA with Pearson. Do you or anyone know if there are other test companies that give VCLA?

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Cohort

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:15 PM

The VCLA is only administered by Pearson. They are the makers of the test and have a partnership with the Virginia DOE. You probably have zero other options.

“The Virginia Department of Education has contracted with the Evaluation Systems group of Pearson to create and administer the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment® (VCLA™), which measures the communication and literacy skills necessary for Virginia educators.”

http://www.va.nesinc.com/PageView.aspx?f=GEN_Tests.html

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 4:12 PM
  6. asingh

asingh Rookie

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:41 PM

Thank you!!

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Cohort

Jan 13, 2018 at 3:42 PM

You’re very welcome! :)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:08 PM

There are in fact alternatives.

If asingh holds a teaching license from outside the US and has taught for three years, it might be possible to have VCLA waived: see http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/licensure/prof_teacher_assessment.pdf.

If asingh has taken and passed ACTFL testing, that's an accepted alternative: see http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/licensure/actfl_testing.pdf.

There might be another possibility, but the doe.virginia.gov website isn't being very forthcoming about them. It might be a good idea to ask a live person in a local state education office or at a university that deals with licensure candidates whose first language isn't English.

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Cohort

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:12 PM

OP asked if “there were other test companies that give the VCLA,” not if there are equivalent exams accepted in lieu of the VCLA.

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Cohort

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:15 PM

By the way, the first link you posted says out-of-state license, not outside the US.

11. asingh

asingh Rookie

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:35 PM

Thank you for your replies! Currently I have a provisional license in VA and have been teaching for couple of years now. I am teaching ESOL in Fairfax County Public School, and feel shame that I can't pass a basic exam. I didn't study or prepare for the first couple of times that I took both subtests. But for the last couple of times, I have been studying and preparing really hard and getting same score. I am just getting frustrated and upset that I can't pass it. My licensure told me that she needs all my paperwork and exam results by March 1st. Although, my license will be expiring in June this year. I didn't take the VCLA earlier because I didn't know that it was going to be so difficult for me to pass, and was thinking that I have until June to pass it. I have finished all my courses and other requirements. Would you know if I can still take VCLA until or before June in order to continue to teach next year at the school? In other words, would HR accept my scores by June if I don't pass it by March 1st? Thanks!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:00 PM

I don't do teacher licensure and I'm far from an expert about how Virginia does things, asingh; that's why I recommended asking locally. Much may depend on how badly Fairfax County needs qualified ESOL teachers.

What have you been using/doing to prepare for VCLA?

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:09 PM

*shrug* If I were in asingh's position, I'd want a fuller answer than my question warranted as stated. And since I'm TeacherGroupie, I decided to rummage the Virginia DOE website fairly thoroughly.

A good many states do in fact accept more than one basic-skills test, and in some cases up to three, not counting SAT or ACT.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:10 PM

True, but the question might still be worth exploring, in the right circumstances.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  15. asingh

asingh Rookie

Jan 13, 2018 at 5:40 PM

I have been practicing the test practices that are on Pearson's website. Do you have any other suggestions on how to prepare?

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:11 PM

VLCA is what we call a basic-skills test, minus the math component that figures in most of the other basic-skills tests (CBEST, Praxis CORE, WEST-B). LearningExpress publishes some books you might find useful: Writing Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day will help with the grammar questions (and should help with some of your issues in writing) and Write Better Essays in 20 Minutes a Day has useful advice for essay writing. You can find them used or at places like Barnes & Noble or online.

The best bet for you, however, is probably to find a tutor: someone who has VCLA's specifications in mind while reading what you write and giving you feedback.

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Cohort

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:23 PM

As always, a beautifully written and succinct answer. That’s why you’re a moderator! :)