Prizes for 6th graders?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by dmbfan36, Aug 20, 2009.

1. dmbfan36

dmbfan36 Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

This is my first year teaching 6th graders. The other 6th grade teacher does raffles with tickets and gives them small prizes etc. I decided to adopt this idea as well. I just bought a roll of tickets.
    So I guess my question is this - what kind of small prizes might you give?

Also I have one section of 7th graders. Is this too young for them or should I do this for all classes?

I have things like mini gel pens, stickers, no HW passes (not sure how I feel about this though).

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 20, 2009

Maybe look at Oriental Trading Company online...they have a lot of little things!

4. Limegirl

Limegirl Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

I'm doing a similiar thing with my 8th grade class except I'm using Monopoly money. I plan on going to the dollar store to buy little fun things similiar to the pens. Maybe crossword puzzles or journals, things like that.

5. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 20, 2009

Here are a few I've used:

jolly ranchers
    suckers
    no homework pass
    sit next to a friend for the day
    bouncy balls
    pencils
    sit in the papasan (or bean bag or whatever) for the day
    choose partner to work with when doing partner work

6. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Aug 20, 2009

What is important to them at this age? Status, and food.

I would go with Airheads (the candy) and sitting in the teacher's chair for a day, or half day. Maybe 5 extra minutes at lunch or recess (if you have that.)

Kids like power. They like to be the one to choose... where to sit? who they sit by? what math game to play? who goes first?

Homework passes are not good, because they're used to get out of doing the subject they need most, usually.

7. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

^^^this...they love that stuff.

My 6th grade last year actually also enjoyed stuff from the dollar store, Play-Doh, and, believe it or not, Beanie Babies (I was getting rid of my collection. It went in my prize box.).

8. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

Last year, I did small prizes, but this year, I am doing tickets, which students collect throughout the semester, and I will raffle off bigger prizes (cool notebooks, giant sets of markers/colored pencils, movie tickets, McDonald's gift certificates, jewelry, lip glosses and nail polish, that kind of stuff.) I got a lot of big prizes at the 50%-75% off after holiday sales last year, some of them were gifts I got last christmas that I will re-gift - from a different school so none will be the wiser ;) and I am hoping to secure some donations from our local business partners.

In my experience, middle school aged kids try to pretend that they are too cool for school, but they absolutely love the prizes and trinkets - even the 8th graders!

9. dmbfan36

dmbfan36 Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

Thanks guys! It's good to see some other middle school teachers doing kinda the same thing. I think I'll just pick up little things as I go along that won't break the bank.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 20, 2009

One prize my 6th graders loved (when I did prizes), was saving up their tickets for a something big. I had a sundae party worth about 70 stars (i used a star hole punch on a notecard, cheap and easy that way). They could spend their stars on little things or save up. In the end, a not-so-popular student was the one "bought" the sundae party...let me just say, she was much more popular after that-bonus!

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2009

Favorites in my classroom are
    coupon to switch seats
    coupon to sit in my twirly chair for class
    mechanical or other pretty pencils
    Jolly ranchers or lifesavers
    cereal box prizes