Prize Box?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cheer, Jul 8, 2010.

1. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

I know there has been a lot of discussions on this but I am curious how many people use a prize box. I am curious to which grade you are teaching if you do use it. If you do not use it, have you ever had an issue with last years teacher having one.

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 8, 2010

My prize box does not consist of so called toys, pencils, erasers, etc. Instead I use the following that are awarded for my weekly behavior plan. The children whose number is selected can choose any one of the following...
    a book pick from the next Lucky book form I send home
    a book from my box of new books
    a homework pass
    a pass for not having to complete an assigned morning worksheet
    sit in teacher's chair for the day
    a pass for a "sugar free ice cream treat"

Each student is responsible for keeping their pass until they are ready to use it. This costs me basically very, very little money. I use my points for the books and I purchase the ice pops when they are on sale and keep them in the school's freezer. The kids love it as do the parents.

4. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 8, 2010

I teach K-2 ED.

My students earn tickets through good behavior. When they earn 20 tickets they earn a sticker. When they've earned six stickers they get to go to the Prize Box.

They love counting their tickets, figuring out how many more they need, etc. Opens up some great math questions (What would happen if I had 40 tickets, etc.)

My prize box has lots of items that cost between $1 - $2. I try to keep a random assortment of stuff in there to keep it fresh and interesting. :haha:

5. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

I use one for 2nd grade. The kids have one of those incentive charts in their agenda. Once they fill it up they get to go to the treasure chest. ( I believe that have 25 stickers). They get a sticker everyday if the met the expectations. I also do special treasure chest awards on occasion. I buy things very cheap at the dollar store or Party City

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 8, 2010

I have a prize box in kindergarten. I still don't know how I feel about it...For every 10 days of good behavior, they get to pick a prize. It's actually a big motivator for them...Every morning there are kids crowded around the chart, and if they have a behavior problem during the day they get really bummed out that they won't get a mark for the day.

The downside is that I spend SO much money on prizes every year. I shop at party stores and the dollar store, but I still go through so many prizes.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 8, 2010

I'm a big fan of the random "good job, you get a prize" idea. I think it's a good way to generalize positive behaviour.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 8, 2010

I, too, am very torn on this idea. I have a box full of little items I've collected, so the prizes aren't a deal at all. And I love that cute treasure chest another poster got at Ikea, which I could easily pick up. I'm just not a huge fan of physical rewards-I like intrinsic motivation. I'm also terribly at consistency-I forget to pass out tickets, or stamp little cards, etc. I think I may use it for my desk fairy this year-that way I can just pass out the postcards on the desk, and then they bring them to me to exchange for a prize and I can re-use the cards again. Actually, that's exactly what I'll do...

9. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2010

We do a monthly auction using "tallies" that the children have earned. I also use "non-prize" prizes such as lunch with the teacher, homework pass, etc.

10. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

I have a prize box. The kids love it. My general rule is that I don't buy anything that costs more than a quarter. I get a lot things at party stores, in the party section at Walmart, and at oriental trading. I keep track of points for each table. The group who has the most at the end of the week gets a prize. I will randomly give prizes when a kid does a really good job one day, and on birthdays.

11. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

Target Dollar bins are a great place for prizes. I don't spend more than $1, but it's even better when I find 4 for $1 bargains somewhere. I use the prize box when we play games or if something gets a 100 on a TAKS practice passage, they get a prize and get to press my "Easy Button" from Staples.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 8, 2010

I teach 6th grade (elementary) and I don't have a "box" but I do have prizes. They consist mostly of passes (homework, early lunch, seat switch, microwave, fridge, computer, and hi 5) or small fun items like folders, picture frames (dollar tree), high lighters, gel pens, candy bars, chips, or capris suns.

A few of the 4th and 5th grade teachers at my school do the money system and have auctions. I think sometimes my students are disappointed that I don't do that, but they get over it.

13. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

I've used one every year I've taught (in 4th/5th, 1st, and 6th/7th/8th) and I'll be using it this coming year again in 1st.

I keep mostly Dollar Tree stuff in there. Sometimes I buy packs of party favors at Wal-mart.

Clearly, my 7th/8th graders were too old for it, but they thought it was funny so they'd pick the dumbest stuff from it when they got to use it and they'd turn it into a big joke. They got so excited if they got to go in it. :rolleyes:

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2010

I do have a prize box. I give groups points during the week. The group with the most points on Friday gets to pick a prize. I recently added in a new prize-play a game with me during workshop (I do educational games). It's the most popular prize.

15. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 8, 2010

I saw a teacher one year do a tiered prize box using one of those three drawer organizers. The prizes got better in each drawer. Kids could save tickets to draw from the boxes every other Friday. I think I am going to do something like that this year.

16. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jul 9, 2010

Can you explain microwave, fridge, and hi 5?