Private Kindergarten and another complaining rant from yours truly!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Feb 13, 2018 at 6:23 PM.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Comrade

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:23 PM

So my mom called me today and explained that she wants to expand the family's business and extend it to Kindergarten. She wants me to be the teacher once I am certifiedo_Oo_Oo_O. I do not know how to feel about this being that they pay me when they want. Do anyone have information on private kindergarten?

Also, I received a rejection email from the first interview I had with the high school I graduated from as an ESL parapro. I knew that I wouldn't be hired because the vibe was not right for me. I went to a 2nd interview with the same school today for another position. I think I did ok but I still feel as if the job is not for me.

I am also awaiting an email from the migrant school for the second interview and location.

I then managed to speak with a parapro at the elementary school in my hometown and she told me to stay away from there and try other places.

I am saying all of this to say that I am really starting to second guess if I made the right decision to leave social services for education. I am really feeling upset about being rejected and being told horror stories about the elementary school that wanted to hire me. My mom wants a private kindergarten but I am not sure about being employed by her!

The good news is I have lost 26 pounds and feeling less pain from the ovarian cysts. :)

3. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Feb 13, 2018 at 7:09 PM

Do not go back to your parents' daycare. I can't offer much advice regarding your job hunt but from everything you've posted about working for your parents, it's just not a good move for you. They take advantage of you and do not treat you professionally just because you're family, and that's not ok. The job hunt may take a while, but going back to your parents' daycare will only yield the same results as it has in the past.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Habitué

Feb 13, 2018 at 7:34 PM

Whatever you do, do NOT work for your parents. I'm begging you. You will find something better. I know it. Just have hope

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Habitué

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:58 AM

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Ms. I likes this.
  6. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:03 AM

OP, I think you need to consider that your certifications will not be in FL, but in GA. As far as the interviews, frankly, you have barely started the process, so hold off on the giving up on this career choice. Isn't this the month that you take the GACE exams? I would be studying and concentrating on that for the time being. Furthermore, you still have a full year of education before you are qualified to go after the full blown teacher interviews. You need a job that allows you to pay bills for the next 12 months, while allowing you to actually study as you finish your degree. I don't understand the fascination with an hour and a half of driving to and fro for a FL job, while you live in GA. I don't see how you could each K in FL without your certification, so, to me it is a moot point. However, if Florida is lazy enough to allow private schools who employ teachers without certificates, that says a lot about the education system, doesn't it? Staying in GA would certainly save money on fuel, wear and tear on your car, and possibly insurance, since that is often based on how many miles you drive annually.

I notice that you are quick to throw in the towel and give up on things. I am going to point out that you are going to have a mountain of debt for your education, so how about staying the course until you are truly qualified for a real teaching job? You will find out that it is hard enough to find a great job W(TH your credentials - I don't know how you can expect a great job while still in school, lacking in certificates. Stay or go, your choice, but I am pointing out that you have a tendency to put the cart before the horse.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 1:32 PM
  7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Feb 14, 2018 at 6:47 AM

I was thinking the same thing!!

8. a2z

a2z Phenom

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:24 AM

Your life, your choice. You have all of the details you need to make a sound choice. Choose wisely.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 14, 2018 at 1:24 PM

I wouldn't dare go back to working for your parents as badly as you talked about them in the past! You'll regret it.