Printers not allowed in classrooms

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Sep 30, 2014.

1. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 30, 2014

I have a printer in my room, and few of my colleagues do. It saves me a ton of time, and I never have to worry about it not working when the network is done. Sarge, you are right. I wish you well. I wish I knew what to say to get people to listen to common sense. I am still working on that one.

2. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 1, 2014

I consider myself super lucky. I have a laser copier and a color inkjet. If they took these I'd lose my mind. Hope you win this STUPID battle!!

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 1, 2014

We have the same system-it is really frustrating. The worst part is when you print it to the workroom and get down there to pick it up and the printer is jammed or out of paper-so it didn't print. You have to walk back to your room and print it again. Or you get down there to get it and someone else must have taken it by mistake because it's not there. Some things I think should be a no-brainer.

4. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Oct 1, 2014

nothing is more frustrating than navigating artificial obstacles and barriers created by those who should be supporting and aiding the efforts of those who are dong the teaching.

I dealt with this in the private sector with the corporate bureaucrats, but in the education system, it is beyond mind boggling. In my district, if the central office were to disappear I don't think anything would change (for the worse). That is a lot of overhead (and taxpayer money being wasted).

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2014

No printer in the office, but it isn't too far from my door. The only thing I have to worry about it 1)something taking it by mistake or 2) the printer jamming up. Sometimes I have to wait because someone is using the copier.

6. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Oct 10, 2014

Our district has the same set-up. Although our work computers are desktops, and not laptops, our workroom printer breaks down often enough for me to not want to deal with that headache each week. Sooo, I bought an older simple printer that connects via a USB cord. Any newer printer you buy now will want to connect using a wireless connection, which your laptop will not allow per district policy and IT admin priviledges. So, hunt around eBay or Amazon for an older printer. The HP d2460 I have works well at work.

7. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Oct 10, 2014

WOw!! Sounds like a control issue...what about if kids are printing up reports or notes or information????

I am at home as we speak, working on report cards and printing on my home printer--can't imagine trying to fit this in during my work day.

8. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Oct 10, 2014

We don't have any in our rooms either.
    I think the reason is that people were printing personal things on their classroom computers, yet the school was having to pay for the ink. By printing in a central location, there are more eyes watching and people are (apparently) more careful about what they print.
    Just a guess.
    I miss the convenience.

I would definitely bring it up because it sounds like you are more knowledgeable than the IT guy!

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2014

I've never heard of such a thing. I don't understand how you printing at home has anything to do with the reasoning for restricting the access to printers. We have plenty of teachers without printers in their classrooms because they're broken and/or old. Your situation just doesn't make sense. Hope it's resolved soon.