Primrose School

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by prekrunninggal, Jan 8, 2009.

1. prekrunninggal

prekrunninggal Rookie

Jan 8, 2009

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has had any experience working for the Primrose School. They are building one in my area and I don't know much about it. I'm wondering what the pay is like for a lead teacher. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2009

Went for an interview with them when I first got into town. I didn't get hired, due to my reply when I was asked, "What is your way of running your classroom?" My answer, "I have the children choose what activities/centers that they would like to do. I make sure that they rotate, so they can all have an opportunity to visit the other Centers too." It didn't sell. The reply to my answer, RIGHT AWAY before I can even go on, by the snotty lady that interviewed me, "Oh! No! We do not do that at PR! We tell the children where they need to go and we believe in ALL ACADEMICS!" I wanted to tell her so badly, to shove it where the sun don't shine, BUT I held my tongue. She also asked me about working with the 2's right away, and I told her, "No! I am interested in working with the older children." Another minus for me:D BUT I wasn't going to be just a body that they needed right away for a position that I won't enjoy. I walked out of there KNOWING that there was no 2nd interview. Anyway, I found out from a parent that took her child out of the same school, and enrolled in ours, that they don't even do what I was told, etc. Anyway, the one opening near you MIGHT HAVE BETTER MANAGEMENT, and make sure you PLAY THE ACADEMICS CARD, 4 your interview.:)
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

4. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Jan 9, 2009

In my experience primrose is a "cookie cutter" school. They are independently owned and operated but the are all run the exact same way. You cannot create beautiful bulletin boards with children's art work. You are only allowed to do Primrose approved boards. You don't get to make your own lesson plans, those too are already done for you. 4 year olds do work from workbooks. I worked in one for about a month and then I left. I don't like having my curriculum written for me, I prefer to actually "TEACH". Good luck. I hope I didn't deter you from applying.

5. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jan 10, 2009

I used to work at a primrose. it is very corporate. your lesson plans are done for you, all bulletin boards must be done with children's art work and the teacher chooses what the board will be. I did not like the dress code though, i once got in trouble for having a pink stripe on my socks. It seems as though all primroses are different depending on management. We had a good management, although the pay was low.

6. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Feb 14, 2009

I worked for Primrose for two years. I started at 9.50 and increased to 10 per hour. If you work at a fast food restaurant you are treated with more respect. If you get a job with Primrose you will love any job once you leave. If I had to do it again, I would... it enabled me to really appreciate my new job.

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2009

WHAT!?! 2 years and only 50 cents raise? :eek:I'm so glad you left for something a lot better!

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 25, 2015

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add that I worked at a Primrose for a couple years and they were great. I made a lot more than that ^, I had a lot of freedom to do what I wanted in the classroom and with my kids. Yes, we had to follow their curriculum, but they didn't care if I changed it or added more to it because every child is different and every class is different. My class was advanced so they mastered lessons quickly and I had to find extra things for them to do. The management was also lovely. The only reason I left is because I moved and I did not want to commute 6 hours a day :)

9. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Jul 13, 2015

I would stay away from most of the "chain" schools. All they care about is money. They love to push their "academics." To an unknowing parent, it probably looks good since they do not know how children really learn. I have worked at corporate centers and "academies" that really promote the academics. I have also worked at corporate schools that use the "learn through play" based on the children's interests. I will tell you from lots of experience that the learn through play children learn a lot more and are more prepared for kindergarten. Staff also seems to be much happier. Bright Horizons is a great place to work with the best benefits in all of early childhood education! They are also the only child center company on the Top 100 places to work! Good Luck!

10. Evabop

Evabop Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

I have just been given two offers:
    GA Pre-K Lead Teacher in a Bright Horizons school
    or
    Lead Prekindergarten Teacher in a Primrose school.

It was a tough decision, but I chose Primrose.

Maybe some Primrose schools have bad management, but all of my experiences with this "chain" school have been positive. I have worked in some of the other "chain" schools, and I agree: They care about money solely. The curriculum at Primrose is research based, not just thrown together like some other franchises. It centers around development of the whole child across several domains. The Primroses I have been in also encouraged me to add to the curriculum already written. The already-ready-already lesson plans takes a lot of pressure off. I recently worked for GA Pre-K for two years, and a lot of the workload consisted of plugging information into tables, and uploading information into a digital portfolio. My use of physical performance assessment portfolios (i.e. Science Journals, monthly artwork, writing samples, etc.) meant that I was uploading almost 100 photos a week. Primrose schools also do a lot for families and the community. They facilitate events that encourage families to get together and focus on child advocacy.

I guess it just depends on preference. My reasons for not going to the Bright Horizons school were the coldness I felt from my interviewer, the lack of knowledge about new childcare mandates from my interviewer, the school's lack of parent and community involvement, the extra GA Pre-K workload, the higher ratios, and the ten minute longer commute.

All-in-all, any school can be great or poor; it all depends on the leadership staff.

11. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

I am sorry that you had a bad experience at Bright Horizons during the interview. I would let them know about that. If you ever decide to give them another chance, please do. The medical benefits are second to none, there is a Bright Horizons University for all of your training hours that you need and lots of other great things about it. Good Luck at Primrose!!

12. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 18, 2015

I taught Pre-K at Primrose recently!
    I loved that job. Great management; they genuinely care about their staff, families, & the community
    (The annual Spring Fling fundraiser raises money for local charities, which 100% of the proceeds goes toward)
    And their curriculum is top-notch; definitely not thrown together like others!
    My classes consistently scored above average on the Bracken Assessments. Former parents would come back to visit and tell us their children were now in advanced math or accelerated reading in Kindergarten!
    When it comes to daycares, Primrose is the best one I've ever worked at.

13. Alexis Fafard

Alexis Fafard New Member

Jun 21, 2016

Hey there I was wondering if anyone could clarify the dresscode for me. Are painted/long nails allowed??

14. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 21, 2016

Yes.. as long they're a normal length.
    If you have those long tips, I don't know how you're supposed to work comfortably with children