Primary grades turning in papers?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by wildcat82, Jul 31, 2008.

1. wildcat82

wildcat82 Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

How do you do it? What works best? I have only taught upper grades and this year I am teaching 2nd grade.

Do you have trays or places to turn in work, or do you have other ways to collect work?

I need to land on an idea so I can set it up in my room and stick with it, and then explain it to my kids but I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

I have an "In Box" (really an in BIN). Students know to turn in papers there. If I am collecting from the whole group, I have them turn it in, sort by student number (they put it next to their name), and paperclip it together before tossing it in the bin. I've taught 2-5 and this works fine.

4. wildcat82

wildcat82 Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

Also, do you have multiple bins for different subjects, or just one big one?

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

I just had one for everything. I've never really had the space to have more than one bin! It seems like space is so precious that one bin will do it! Plus, it forces me to correct papers ASAP so there's more room in the bin:D.

6. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I have a wire basket that hangs off of the top of a bookcase. I have the students put their finished work in there. I only have one and like teacherpippi said, it forces me to go through stuff often.

7. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I have one bin for homework and one bin for notes. One of the classroom jobs is a 'Homework Collector'. I just have a small check off sheet with a list of their names and the homework collector each morning goes through the papers and checks off who brought their homework in. They hand me the list and I know right away who I need to find to ask for work. Works great!

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 31, 2008

I have one bin for the kids to turn paper in to. I have it right next to the student mailboxes.

9. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I teach 2nd grade and I have two bins, one for homework and one for classroom work. Since I collect homework everyday and I have to keep track of it I like to have the homework separate.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 31, 2008

I have them turn their work into a big bin too... however, only if it's COMPLETE. I collect all unfinished work and put it in a folder for work finishing time.

11. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 31, 2008

I also have "bins"-really they are similar to those food trays you get at a mall in the food court (Oriental Trading , pack of 6 I think.) I have 2, one for hw and one for classwork. They have folders that incomplete stuff goes in. I collect and check that every day after school.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 31, 2008

I have a different stacking tray for each subject. I am finally wising up this year and having the kids turn in all homework first thing in the morning. In the past, I have waited until the subject (science in the afternoon, for example), then I sit during my planning period 2nd hour with nothing to do! Duh me!

It only took me 3 years to figure this out!

13. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

I use one of those storage box/file holders (with the lid w/ handle on it). I have colored folders - one per subject. On the front of the container, I have a sign that reads:

red folder: reading
    green folder: language
    blue folder: math
    yellow folder: science/social studies

The children "file" the papers in the appropriate folders as they finish. The GREAT thing about this system is that, at the end of the day, if there are papers in there that I need to take home to grade, I can snap that lid on, grab the handle, and run :)

14. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Aug 1, 2008

I have all of my students turn in their work in one basket. I collect all homework at the beginning of the day and then I clip it together to keep it separate from the other work.

15. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Aug 1, 2008

I teach 1st and don't assign written homework. However, when I'm ready to pick up classwork I say, "Papers up!" Everyone holds up their paper and either I or a couple of students pick up the work. That way they don't leave their seats and are ready for the next thing.