Presidential candidate views on Education issues/NCLB and your reactions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2007

So it looks like some big issues for the 2008 presidential election are global warming and the environment, immigration, Iraq, same-sex marriage, and health care. I'm not hearing a whole lot about education. Am I just missing something?

I'm looking online for information about each big candidate's position on education issues, and I'll post it once I do.

In the meantime, let's consider these questions:

If you agreed with a candidate on most other issues but disagreed with him/her on education, would you still vote in his/her favor? How about the other way around (disagreeing on most other issues but agreeing on education)?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2007

I think that, regardless of a candidate's stand on education, most of the real decisions are made at the local level.They choose how to meet the federal legislation, and how to interpret it.

So for the presidential elections, I'm looking to issues of foreign policy and the economy.

4. lowiq

lowiq Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

What is the NCLB for? Is it so more people can make more money, or is it so other countries don't overtake US, is it so big business can get better employees, is it bring about equality.......?

5. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

I'm with Alice. Most of the decisions that effect us are made locally, or at least at the state level. My major concerns are the economy, foreign affairs, and immigration policy.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2007

NCLB has links to terrorism and the war? :confused: Now that's a new one I haven't heard...

7. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

I do not plan to vote for a candidate based solely on one issue. Though I would like to vote for a candidate whose direction for education may relate to mine, I don't foresee that as a determining factor. There are too many issues to only vote on one...

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2007

Or were you? you're the one who said:
    by the way, the economy is doing well- the stock market is up, up, up...

I'm getting out of this discussion now- my mother always told me not to discuss religion or politics...:D

9. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I think NCLB could have something to do with the war. If we have been leaving behind certain people, maybe they grow up to be terrorists.