Preschool Open House

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by preschoolgal, Aug 2, 2006.

1. preschoolgal

preschoolgal Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and I was wondering if someone would be able to help me! I have been teaching preschool for a little over 2 years now and I am getting ready to embark on a new adventure at a brand new preschool. We are having an open house in the next coming weeks and it is the Friday before school begins. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I really don't want the children running wildly around the room and I want to get the parents involved as well. Please help! Thanks in advance!:thanks:

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

If the environment dictates the tone of behaviors, I would recommend having many activities available that encourage small group interactions, i.e. playdoh table w/ 2-4 seats, beading necklaces, magnifiying glasses and something interesting to look at (have paper and pencils available for children to draw what they see), clear contact paper taped to a table upside down so children can stick colored tissue paper to it to create a group collage (stuck to a window when done it looks like stained glass!), block building, maybe with classical music playing in the back ground. Good luck!

4. preschoolgal

preschoolgal Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

Thanks for the ideas! I'm really not sure how my classroom is even going to be set up. I can't even get into the building yet due to the fact that it is still in the process of being built/constructed. It is a private K-8 Catholic school and they decided to convert the old gym into a new preschool room, so everything is still up in the air. All I know is that I probably cannot even get into my room to get it set up until like 15th and the church is having a preschool shower (like a baby shower) on the 23rd and the open house is the 25th. I am going to be running around like crazy! Ahhh...the stress I feel! Thanks for the ideas though....I will definitely keep them in mind!

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

YEOWCH! That's some pressure, eh? I hope you have support from others and don't have to do this alone!

6. preschoolgal

preschoolgal Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

Yes fortunately I do. We are just completely clueless as to when we get to actually get in the room. GRRR!!!!

7. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Aug 2, 2006

I recommend making things you want now while you have some time. For example: Interactive charts, birthday chart, calendar, nametags, nameplates for tables, center chart or signs, job chart, attendance chart, and labels for toys/shelves. Do whatever you can before hand so it will be easier when you can get in the room.

Oh, also make copies of things you will want to pass out at the open house (copies of daily schedule, introduction letter, lesson plan/themes, etc.)

8. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 3, 2006

Boy, I can sure relate to you! I work in a K-8 Catholic school. Last summer, my classrrom was shut down all summer due to asbestos found during construction. I was unable to get into the room until a week before the first day of school. I also did not know what supplies and equipment would be left. A lot of items had to be discarded due to contamination. Dragonfly's suggestons are perfect! I set up my class in the same manner. Also, show the children their cubbies and anything else with their name. I also had a craft for the children. When they returned on the first day of school, they were excited to find it in their cubby.

9. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Aug 3, 2006

I'm about to have my first open house on this saturday, not really sure what I'm going to do. It's a two hour block, should I expect families to stay the whole time, or do they mostly pop in and out?

I was planning on having lots of activities out and all the centers open for them to check out. I don' know if I should try getting everyone together and try to talk to them as a group, or if mingling around and talking/answering questions would be ok (I would prefer the mingling).

What do most teachers do at open house? I'm pretty much on my own (besides my assistant) I dont know if the directors will be floating around or not....but whatever I want to do is my decision.

advice?

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 3, 2006

My aide and I "mingled" meeting the children and parents. We made it a point to introduce each other to those we met. We showed the children and parents cubbies, restrooms, etc. We directed children who were not engaged in activities. We answered questions.

I have a back to school night in early September for parents only. We review our philosophy, the parent handbook, and curriculum at that time.

11. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Aug 3, 2006

My suggestions:

*Cute nametags for parents to fill out upon arrival for EVERYONE. This includes yourself and aide.

*I put up information sheets regarding what children learn near each center (always a hit!)

*Information board about yourself and aid!

*Pictures of past classes showing you in action!

*Project pictures, if you have some.

*Keep Altoids in your pocket!

*We always go over important stuff for a few minutes as well. This way all the parents hear it from you.

*Sign up sheet for parent volunteers. Always inlcude stuff parents can do at home so everyone feels included.

*Camera on hand to take pictures of EVERYONE to make class book for the first day of school and to create a community board.

*If possible, have pictures of all the other staff for the building posted.

*Sign up sheet for phone numbers,address, and e-mail. It's amazing how often numbers are changed. This way you have the latest info!

*We treat our open house like company's coming!

*Always, always bend down to the child's level when addressing them.

Relax and mingle!

12. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Aug 12, 2006

I teach in a catholic prek-8 school's preschool program also. I have an open house for the parents that the principal is helping out with. See if your principal could come in and help if possible.

13. preschoolgal

preschoolgal Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

I wish I could get the principal to help, but I honestly think he is completely clueless. This is his first year at this school and he came in the middle of everything....I mean EVERYTHING!! But I guess I could always ask him for some ideas. I have only spoke with him once, so we'll see how that goes! HAHAHA! Thanks for the input!!

14. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Aug 16, 2006

Amen! LOL! There is nothing like meeting a teacher (or anyone for that matter) for the first time and they have stinky breath. Even when you don't have stinky breath normally, all the stress and running around beforehand can give it to you. ;)