Preschool on track to kindergarten homework sheets

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & FAQ' started by Tonya Naftel, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Tonya Naftel

Tonya Naftel New Member

Feb 5, 2018

Where I can I get the weekly, on track to kindergarten homework sheets?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2018

4. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Feb 7, 2018

Yes, it's sad, but surprisingly, a lot of parents request it. It doesn't matter if it's a wealthy affluent area or a low income free preschool, you will get many parents requesting homework! I've worked in both types of schools

mathmagic likes this.
  6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2018

I started giving it out, and after Christmas - stopped doing it. It's way too much work. Only 2 or three kids were doing it. I don't have access to storage files, folders, or a lot of time to copy. Put all that stuff in your child's cubby and it never comes back on Monday. Why bother? Then you get the one parent who wants more. Sigh! Ditto sheets are not developmentally appropriate for preschool children. They will get a ton of them starting in kindergarten. I don't reward my children with treats for doing something that I know half their parents did. It just doesn't make sense to me. When somebody calls me on it, this is what I will say.

NAEYC says the use of dittos is not appropriate for young children. There is no space for teachers to keep track of papers that must be generated and graded on a weekly basis. Additionally, the photocopier can only be used a certain times of the day. I think it is much more practical for me to focus on teacher-created projects and assessments that can be conducted during school hours.