Preschool management

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ZoeMarie, Jan 11, 2018.

1. ZoeMarie

ZoeMarie Rookie

Jan 11, 2018

I teach an integrated full day preschool class. This year, my group is having a hard time following the rules in the pretend play center (kitchen, dress up, stuffed animals, etc). It is definitely the most popular center but they do not play appropriately. They make a huge mess, become overly silly, and become quite loud. I don't mind and am used to noise but it is far too loud for inside play.

I've already limited the materials in the center, modeled correct behavior, and closed the center completely for the remainder of the day after poor behavior. I've taken the "choice" away from students. In other words I choose the center for them and they are not able to switch until a certain amount of time. We'll have a few good days but then back to the old behaviors. There doesn't seem to be even one student who plays calmly in that center. I have whole class behavior management set up that works for everything except this issue. I also choose a star student as individual incentive. Are there any suggestions on how to better manage this center?

3. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Jan 11, 2018

reward system maybe? Or perhaps smaller groups in rotation so it will create less chaos in the center.

4. ZoeMarie

ZoeMarie Rookie

Jan 11, 2018

I have a reward system (individual and whole class). I only allow three in a center at a time. They use name tags to sign in and out. I could limit the center to two.

5. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Jan 11, 2018

I like the groups of three. I am trying to think of other ideas. Yes they are preschoolers so you have to understand but I will come back! :)

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jan 13, 2018

When our kids start getting rowdy and won't listen after several reminders, we make them clean up and sit on the rug while the others are allowed to continue to play at centers. They all know this, so most of them will settle down after we tell them they're getting loud.