Preschool lead teacher 3 year old room

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by wldywall, Nov 1, 2015.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2015

Okay, this is the job I had to take.....

I am not complaining, I just have no idea what to do.

Please any and all advice is desperately needed. I know it should be play based, but from there I am at a loss. Please tell me what you do, any tips help, anything. I start orientation Weds.....

GO!

Thank you btw

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Nov 1, 2015

Depending on the area you live in, you may or may not need to teach them the basic concepts as well as how to behave in school.
    For example, where I lived previously was an affluent area so those kids learned all their basic concepts at 2 years old, so the 3-year-olds were able to go beyond that and work on cutting & gluing, writing their names, simple math & reading comprehension, etc. By the time they got to my room (4-5yo), they were learning to read & write by sounding out words themselves, learn sight words, and do K-1 Grade level math & reading comp.
    I now work in a low income area where the kids have never been in a learning environment before. These kids are still learning their colors, letters, numbers, shapes, etc. at 3-4 years old! They are still learning to raise their hands to speak, walk in a line, not to interrupt when the teacher is talking, etc.
    Either way, start with circle time where you go over calendar, weather, rules (yes, go over them everyday until they learn them. No more than 5 rules total). This shouldn't be longer than 20 minutes (especially if they're all 3yo) and then center time (or play time) should be an hour, which can be split up into two 30-min sessions if you can't fit an hour into your schedule. I use center time to pull kids 2-3 at a time to work on one-on-one things like writing or cutting, etc.

4. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Nov 4, 2015

I HIGHLY recommend that you use a PBIS approach. Develop just 3 or so simple rules. Ours are, "be safe, be friendly, and be a worker." Anything the kids should or should not be doing will fall under those rules. Then, focus on the behaviors you want to see out of the children, rather than what you do not want to see. For example, during circle time if you say, "Wow, I like how Hazel is sitting criss-cross, and how Ethan is sitting criss-cross..." everyone who isn't will typically follow suit. We tie any "rule" back to the 3 rules. If someone is running inside, we would say, "Eleanor, please use your walking feet inside. It is not safe to run in the classroom. You may run outside."

Work to develop the children's emotional literacy. Label, label, label their feelings. Teach them ways of coping when they are feeling strong emotions. Don't be afraid to use words such as angry. For example, let's say I took a ball away from someone because, after warning them, they continued to throw it at a friend. I might say, "I can see that made you angry when I took the ball away from you. You can try to use the ball when you are ready to be safe and friendly with it. When you're able to calm your body down, we can talk about it. Sometimes when I am angry, I need a hug/some space. Would you like a hug/to go sit in the safe place?"

Amazing PBIS resources: http://csefel.vanderbilt.edu/