Preschool classroom management

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by twinmamma, Nov 6, 2014.

1. twinmamma

twinmamma New Member

Nov 6, 2014

Hello all! I am new to this site and forum and am in need of support/advice. I am currently teaching (from August) a class of 26 preschoolers ages 3-4. About 50% will attend Kinder next year and the other 50% will have another year of Pre-k. I have one aide. This is a half day, 5 days a week class. I am also a mother of 4 year old twin girls and working on my Masters in early ED.

So after much struggle I have gotten most things down in class. We have a very set routine that looks like this:
    8:15am-8:30am Welcome/Manipulatives
    8:30-8:35am Clean up
    8:35-8:50- Circle Time
    8:50-9:30 Centers (3 play centers and two academic centers with teacher/aide)
    9:30-9:35n Clean Up
    9:35-9:45 Story Time
    9:45-10:00 Snack
    10:00-10:35 Recess
    10:35-10:50- Bathroom break
    10:50-11:05 Music and Movement
    11:05- 11:15 Pack up

This schedule is very similar to what the very successful teacher across the hall is doing, though she has older 4's. Some days are awesome where kids are listening and things go smoothly. Other days they are so loud and classroom management is out the window. For discipline we use a traffic light sytem but seem to affect them very much and I am not a big fan of the system anyway. How do you manage this many children in a highly academic preschool. I feel like I am consistent, firm and kind but yet I never know how our day will go.

3. Alika0121

Alika0121 New Member

Dec 2, 2014

I think you miss the play activity.All the kids love to play in their early childhood.

4. jacob

jacob Rookie

Dec 17, 2014

The problem is not that we have a bunch of racist teachers and administrators. I believe most educators want to help all children. But many aren’t aware of the biases and prejudices that they, like all of us, harbor, and our current system offers very little diversity training to preschool staff.

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jan 24, 2015

I am using Tools of the Mind in a special education preschool. I am still learning the program. My schedule is two half day sessions for days a week. My times are similar to yours. I like your better. I have a speech therapist in my room 2 days a week. We work together to structure the activities for the speech needs of our students. I do have an educational assistant.

Enter and trace names (10 min)
    Read/look at books (5min)
    Circle (20 min. includes calendar, songs, attendance and mystery question. I keep forgetting weather)
    Snack (15-20 min)
    Recess (20-30 min)
    Story (10 min)
    Activity or committes (15 - 20 min)
    center play (30 min)
    clean (5-10 min)
    go to busses

Wednesday is early release and we have 1.5 hrs.
    Read books
    Circle
    Snack
    Recess
    Busses.

Management:
    Rules: nice words, hands to yourself, be a friend. Kids get three chances then sit out for three minutes.
    I have several sensory bottles kids can use to calm down. I also have two calm down cusions. A teacher can have a student sit on the cusion or students can sit on their own. A few will which is great. (some are working on self regulation)
    My morning class is 3, 4, and 5 years old.
    My afternoon class is older 4 and 5 year olds. All go to kinder in the fall. This class has the above. We started a behavior intervention with one and expanded the intervention to all the kids. The kids can get strikes for unkind behaviors. (it was a major issue). At 5 strikes they do not get a sticker. If they earn 3 stickers in a week they get a treasure box prize. We are on week 2 starting Monday. It is working nicely. (I do not do this with my morning class. They are on the M&M mini system for reinforcing desired behaviors. I have various issues in the morning class-treaure box would not work right now....maybe by April.

alanabrown15 likes this.
  6. alanabrown15

alanabrown15 Rookie

Apr 22, 2015

I would suggest you to keep the children engaged with some interesting and fun activities.

7. leecook

leecook New Member

Apr 29, 2015

The best activity at preschool is playing, as at that time they learn many new things. Other activities are important for their development in which they can nurture their inner skill.

8. UditGanguly

UditGanguly Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

The schedule seems good but you are missing the playing time which is more essential for pre-school. So it is good if you add the play time in this schedule.

9. dgetlucky1

dgetlucky1 New Member

May 25, 2015

Seeking for information about the prek-3rd test

10. alanabrown15

alanabrown15 Rookie

Jul 27, 2016

I completely agree with Hatima here. this perhaps the best strategy to go with for you. Later on may be you can alter this according to your comfort but just to get started with things GO AHEAD with this.