Prepping a student for a sub

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, May 11, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

May 11, 2017

I learned earlier this year my severe ADHD student does not do well at all with a change in teachers (or, rather, I found out from by TA and sub notes). I sort of forgot about it until this morning, when I took my students to their Spanish class. The Spanish teacher is for the next ten days chaperoning a field trip so, obviously, there is a sub.

Kiddo, who has been heretofore awesome today, refused to go to Spanish class and admitted it was because of the sub. Poor Kiddo then listed everything that he does wrong when there is a sub. He wound up chilling in the AP's office (an option for him), but wow, this sub will be here for pretty much the rest of the school year. Spanish Teacher has confirmed her Big Curriculum was finished prior to the field trip and it's mostly review and fun with the sub, but the stickler in me hates the idea of him just skipping that class for so long. My room is not an option as another class meets in my room during Spanish time and he's one of my top students academically so there's really even no intervention I can give him.

I'm just not sure how to convince him to go. The sub happens to be my neighbor, but even telling Kiddo I'm tight with her didn't help.

3. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

May 11, 2017

What kind of things does he say he does wrong? Do you think some of it is anxiety/fear of change?

4. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

May 11, 2017

His usual class misbehavior: calling out, running around the room, throwing things. Myself and his other teacher have plans for these, but I think the newness of a sub makes him worry about them. One of his diagnoses is anxiety.

5. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

May 12, 2017

I wonder how he would do with a gradual "easing in" to going? Maybe he could go for half of the class (or maybe even less) for a day and build up from there.

Backroads likes this.
  6. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

May 12, 2017

I like this. Yesterday the AP was able to coax him back up after about twenty minutes (and he wound up not being the kid my sub wound up reporting back to me for trouble, so yay there!)

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

May 12, 2017

Is it possible for him to meet the sub with you during a free period or after school?

Backroads likes this.