Prenatal vitamins

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by blue678, Sep 9, 2012.

1. blue678

blue678 Rookie

Sep 9, 2012

Random question for moms or moms to be...

Did you start taking a prenatal before you actually became pregnant? Like to get the necessary folio acid and iron into your system before conceiving? Trying to decide if it's necessary or if it's ok to just stay on a regular woman's multivitamin.

Thanks!!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2012

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 9, 2012

I would definitely switch to a prenatal ahead of time. Some of the extra vitamins, including folic acid are actually needed in the timeframe before you would even know you are pregnant.

You should be getting at least .4 milligrams each day before and during early pregnancy to reduce the risk of a serious neural tube defect by up to 70%.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2012

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 9, 2012

I took them when I was trying. I bought the prenatal gummy vitamins. They were good.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 9, 2012

Also, they may be covered by your insurance and I found the prescription ones to be a little easier to keep down when I actually was pregnant.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2012

I think that if you're in a position to make plans for a baby, you should go ahead and take the prenatals. Why not? They're inexpensive, likely covered by your insurance, and have a little more of what your future baby needs than a regular multi. A multi and a healthy diet are just fine, but a prenatal in addition to those things might be a little bit better for you and baby, so why not?

My doctor believes that all women of childbearing age should take prenatals just as a precaution. I've been taking them for almost three years. The ones I take are prescription and 100% covered by my insurance, so they are obviously cheaper for me than taking a regular multi. I do take a regular multi in addition to my prenatal (at a separate time of day) just to make sure I get everything I need, also on the advice of my doctor.

9. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Sep 9, 2012

I started taking my prenatal vitamins when we decided we were going to start trying. My diet probably isn't as healthy as it should always be and I figured it was a good way to get my body ready. My vitamins are covered by insurance, but there is a copay. I know Meijer has some prenatal vitamins for free with a prescription.
    PS My doctor's office provided a bag full of samples that I tried. All I had to do was call and ask about prenatals and they had it ready for me to pick up the next day. When I found one I liked, I called and they called me a prescription in.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2012

My husband and I are trying to conceive, and I've been taking prenatal vitamins. When I went to my yearly women's appointment, they recommended it.

11. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Sep 9, 2012

I started taking them before TTC. I use the Walmart brand and take them right before bed so I don't get nauseous. I'm actually taking them now even though we don't play to TTC again until next year. My OB said I might as well, they won't hurt!

12. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Sep 9, 2012

I started taking them a few months after we started TTC. I wound up seeing a homeopath who did biofeedback and she suggested them (we were working on regulating my cycle). I take them in isotonix form (a powder I mix with water and drink) because she said my body would digest them better.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2012

I am going to talk to my doc about them at my appt later this month, even though I am a couple years off from baby time.

14. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 9, 2012

My husband and I just started officially trying and I've been taking my prenatal since December.
    I read the book "What to Expect Before You're Expecting" too... Definitely recommend.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2012

If you start taking the ones in the store, they may give you a rx for them once you are pg!!!

I found taking them at night worked best for me. I took them with dinner.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 10, 2012

I still take them, and my youngest is 2. I find the prenatals do more for my hair, skin, and nails than a regular multi. But, I never had issues with nausea, like a lot of women do.

17. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2012

Yes, definitely. Every time I look, research keeps showing more and more things are helpful to babies longer and longer before conception. I believe it's recommended for anyone of childbearing age to take them regularly.