Preliminary Educational Technology, what can I teach with this?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by meeg, Oct 14, 2018.

1. meeg

meeg Rookie

Oct 14, 2018

I have a multiple Subject teaching Credential. I was going to get ant Art credential this year but I stumbled upon this cset exam " Preliminary Educational Technology." I'm very much into computers as a hobby, coding, building my own pc's etc. I tried a practice test and scored a perfect score. However, I don't know how useful getting this credential is, what exactly can I teach with it? are districts more picky? Any advice would be welcome.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 15, 2018

The Preliminary Educational Technology exam first appeared in 2001, the year the first iPod came out; it was intended for teachers from other states who wanted to transfer their licenses to California and needed to demonstrate that they were more or less competent with email, word processing, and simple spreadsheets. Whatever coursework on technology you had as part of your credential program covered the ground that's tested by this exam.

To teach coding and building computers, what you want is a subject-matter authorization in computer science. The single-subject exam that's applicable is CSET Career and Technology Education - which will also require you to know things about building trades and manufacturing, among many other things. Pass the test, take the appropriate single-subject pedagogy course, submit the application with fee to the CTC, and you could start teaching CTE in middle school or high school. But you could also look into a supplementary authorization - perhaps, if you mean to keep teaching in elementary school, a supplementary authorization in the special subject of computer science (see https://www.ctc.ca.gov/docs/default-source/leaflets/cl603.pdf?sfvrsn=b8e7b402_0, page 3). The rules for supplementary authorizations can be a bit arcane, so let me steer you toward the credential analysts at your local county office of education (COE) for guidance.

futuremathsprof and meeg like this.
  4. meeg

meeg Rookie

Oct 15, 2018

Thanks, you cleared up a lot for me. I guess its not good enough to really get a middle school/ HS gig. I'll commit to my Art path and do a bit of research on that Career and Technology Education Cset.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 15, 2018

Art, you say? Do please chat up the COE credential analysts sooner rather than later, then, if any of your art involves computers and especially if your grasp of that is backed up by any coursework. If you do have relevant units, take an informal transcript with you.

Before you chat 'em up, have a look at the state's Career and Technology Education framework. CTE is divided up into a number of pathways, and you'll want to know something about how all that plays out so both your questions and the analysts' answers will make more sense. The CTE framework can be downloaded or viewed for free from https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/cr/cf/allfwks.asp.

futuremathsprof likes this.