Preferred Activity Time (PAT) - Trial Run

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Oct 4, 2018

Before school started, I talked to the new P about a classroom incentive program that would help me with classroom mgmt. He said he trusted me to do what I needed to do in the classroom. I read from my own thread last year about not starting PAT too soon so I waited. I also didn't want to start PAT for everyone so here is what I did.

I started this week with a trial run of PAT for only my 8th grade students. It was getting harder and harder for me to start instruction for them because we go and come back from lunch and then class begins. It had gotten to the point where it would take forever to get them settled. So I told them I was reading up on an incentive program that would reward them for hustling, getting ready, and quieting down.

On the board, I wrote "Earned Leisure Time" as a heading with each day filled with 5 lines that indicated minutes earned to be redeemed as free time on Friday. I told them if they hustled back to class and got ready (paper, pencil, book, and calculator) and seated before a certain minute, they can earn more time. If it took too long to get ready, they would lose time. They would also lose time if there was excessive talking and they took too long to quiet down.

On Tuesday, they lost a minute for excessive noise. On Wednesday, they gained a minute for getting ready for class a minute before starting time but then lost a minute for excessive talking. Today, they lost a minute for starting late. Overall, the class has responded to this incentive. Every once in a while, I would walk toward the board that showed their marks and the class would hush down. The class will be redeeming 23 minutes tomorrow. Hopefully, this will give my 8th graders more incentive to keep PAT going!

3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 4, 2018

I actually really like the idea of PAT as long as it is academic. The issue with one of my groups this year is that PAT might turn into a behavior problem itself & I struggle to get through the curriculum even without the "extras."

4. rpan

rpan Cohort

Oct 4, 2018

I think it’s got to be something the kids really wanna do for it to work. I don’t think it necc has to be educational because most students wouldn’t see something educational as “preferred”. If they work really hard to be good for PAT and it’s something they dont prefer, it won’t work.
    My PAT is movie time or game time or going outdoors to play sport. Let the students choose the PAT because when they get to choose the PAT they are also conscious that it’s positive choices that will get them what they want.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 4, 2018

I use PAT and find that it helps. I don't think it should be the only classroom management strategy, but it is one that does save time in the classroom. I find that actually timing the seconds can be very helpful. That way every second they save can count.

6. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Oct 5, 2018

I also use it and it works well and it isnt always educational-but if they can earn it then they have saved so much time that would have been eaten up by talking and behavior that I feel like they are still coming out ahead in terms of instructional minutes that it doesn't bother me at all.

Sometimes the kids play prodigy during this time and it is educational...but only a little. I almost said something about how in 20 minutes of PAT they should be able to answer more than 3 math problems in prodigy but then I stopped myself-if I am going to suck the fun out of it then there is no reason for them to work for it.

For your rough class Ms. Holyoke do it for individuals rather than whole class. When I have a really rough group there are always those good kids in the middle who never get to do anything because they are stuck in a class with 15 chuckle heads. For them they had to "buy" fun Friday. I gave tickets all week for things like being ready on time, being quiet during independent work, being on task during instruction, completing classwork on time and then I charged them for poor behavior. Then they had to buy their PAT time so the good kids could get what they earned. Also with the class broke up in to PAT kids and kids who need to keep working (maybe on different sides of the room so that the kids who dont earn it dont try to do it anyway) it was easier to pull my low kids for small group.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2018

I haven't done this in the past, but am seriously considering it for my group this year.

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 5, 2018

We are not allowed to do anything not educational/standards aligned!!!

9. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Oct 5, 2018

Great to read you are giving PAT a go. As I'm sure you are aware it takes some tweaking to get it right. It took me four tries before PAT fell into place. Getting kids to hustle when entering the room is the perfect domain for PAT. That is, it's a hustle incentive (motivation) to find seat, take out materials and start on bell work. A problem that sometimes creeps in (happened to me) is using PAT for discipline. It works so well for hustle it is easy to let it side slip into a technique for things like talking and noise which are discipline problems and should be handled with discipline techniques like "working the crowd" and Limit Setting. In other words, if no talking is part of the procedure then students are not on task until that condition is met in addition to find seat, materials out and engaged in bell work and is part of PAT. If talking is allowed then it's not a condition of the procedure and should be handled separately and not a part of PAT. I secretly timed the class during bell work procedure before introducing PAT. No talking was part of the procedure. It took 2'43" for the last student to be on task (I was working the crowd). After introducing PAT it took whole class 29 seconds. After that I erred on the + side. I gave them a minute and told them if everyone was on task in under 30 seconds they would earn a "teacher bonus" of one extra minute.