Pre-employment Drug Screening

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Maggie Carly, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Liliteaches1

Liliteaches1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2018

By the way I laughed so hard at your profile picture! HA that's a great one:p:sweatsmile:

2. Aces

Aces Companion

Jul 11, 2018

But still mathsprof did say "if that's true". Which would indicate an expression of shame of they were in fact trying to beat a drug test. Otherwise it's not a shame post. It's not a bashing post, it's an "if else" post. If this is true, then this; else do nothing.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. Aces

Aces Companion

Jul 11, 2018

Giving science teachers playground duty is asking for trouble.

4. Liliteaches1

Liliteaches1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2018

It just came off sounding a bit harsh is all and yes I will be showing my dad that picture haha he will get a kick out of it

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2018

If you stick around the forums long enough, you will find out that for the most part, people are not asking about an abstract concept, but rather they are asking about a personal concern somewhere where no one truly knows their name. OP'S question pretty much is sure to raise the question of why it is important to weed out districts that drug test as a requirement for employment. Stay around for a few years, and you will start to see the pattern. For the most part, many people are happy to ask embarrassing questions anonymously.

bella84 likes this.
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2018

This alleviates my concerns. And I’m sure if you mentioned you have a prescription medication that you have to take and show them documentation of that then it shouldn’t be an issue.

Also, I don’t mean to be accusatory, but I take the welfare of students very seriously and I’ve had run-ins with aspiring teachers from other forums (so not on AtoZ) who thought it was okay to do drugs and still be in charge of students. This thread started very similarly to others I’ve encountered in the past and it was very upsetting to me.

Think of it this way: Imagine you have an applicant who asks if there is going to be a drug test, how it will be administered, and when it will be administered during the interview, and is very keen about getting all the details for said drug test. As the interviewer, this would be a red flag because if the person didn’t do drugs then they shouldn’t have to worry about it. Now, it is not necessarily true that just because someone inquires about a drug test they are a user, but it is inferential in his context due to the nature of your questioning.

7. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 11, 2018

I'm not sure you should withdraw your concern just yet. That wasn't the OP who said that they have a prescription.

8. futuremathsprof

Jul 11, 2018

Haha, I love this comment!

9. futuremathsprof

Jul 11, 2018

Oh, I missed that.

10. Aces

Aces Companion

Jul 12, 2018 at 5:34 AM

Yeah that was me with the prescription for the amputated leg. And of course my stuff is documented with the school but in fairness if we're being honest here I might take 1 tablet a month. If that. Most days pain in my stump is manageable without the aid of the morphine. Which is also why I use the walking stick. It takes pressure off my leg so I'm not putting my complete weight on it all the time.

And in fairness.... If they decided my prescription morphine was a problem... I kinda feel like there's other school districts that would be proud to have US Army vet on their staff... Or I should say one extra one.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:35 AM

The majority of the schools for which I have worked have required drug testing before formally offering a position. The exception is my current charter school. The difference, perhaps, is that it is situated in Ohio (like all the others where I have taught) but is managed out of California. Since I've noticed many of the teachers / administrators who were not tested are in California schools, perhaps that explains why my current school didn't ask for it.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:26 AM

I think part of the problem now is the legality of some drugs is put in question with states trying to allow some drugs while the federal government does not. So, people of the state pick and choose which side to be on. Then many are shocked that certain jobs actually follow the federal laws.

vickilyn likes this.
  13. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:28 AM

Keep your prescription up to date. They are only good for 1 year. An "expired" prescription can cause a drug test failure even if it was a validly prescribed prescription.

14. futuremathsprof

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:03 PM

Initially, I was operating under the assumption that most districts required background checks AND drug tests for all prospective employees, but that turns out not to be the case in a lot of places.

15. futuremathsprof

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:04 PM

That would be scary to fail a drug test because of a valid prescription you were taking...

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2018 at 1:23 PM

Here in NJ, I can list all kinds of jobs that require passing a drug test as a condition for employment. Commercial truck drivers, school bus drivers, medical/hospital employees, teachers and support personnel, and many child care facilities, especially if the state's Child Protective Services division is involved, will require you to pass a drug test as a condition of employment. If you work with residential students, you have even more demands, including further background checks.

I have had drug testing for employment in every full time teaching job I have had in NJ, and that is both public and private schools. My son teaches in VA, and drug testing was a condition of employment. As mentioned by a2z, I do believe that legalizing some drugs in some states but not others can create confusion, but just because certain drugs can be purchased with a prescription doesn't mean that self acquired drugs purchased without a prescription are OK or legal to use.

My humble opinion is that drug testing helps weed out employees who feel that their drug use is more important than the law, or possible impact on the students who are in their care. It should go without saying that medications that are prescribed and monitored by the prescribing physician are exempt from being considered illegal drug use when used as prescribed. Even prescribed drugs can be abused, however, but that belongs in a different thread. Abuse of prescribed medications, or even excessive use of alcohol, may create circumstances of worker absenteeism, chronic late arrival, or inconsistent performance, and hopefully the employer will be proactive in dealing with employees who's actions impact coworkers and students, alike.

Since no one action will solve all potential illegal drug use, the preemployment drug test is but one tool that can and probably should be used to at least send the message that drug use is not OK or acceptable. At least potential employees will be aware that their employers are not OK with drug use, which should give them something to consider going forward.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 1:35 PM
  17. Aces

Aces Companion

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:06 PM

Yes dear I'm aware.... You realize I'm not the OP right?

18. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:11 PM

Yes. I realize you are not the OP, but I know two people who failed drug tests because their prescription was "expired". They both had back problems and didn't worry too much that their prescription was out of date by a bit because it was an "as needed" prescription. They only got it refilled when needed rather than making sure it was updated exactly each year. So, when they had drug testing with their jobs, they disclosed that they were taking the medication but when they had to prove it was valid, it became a huge mess. Seems testing and prescriptions have become more stringent over the years and neither realized that it was now an issue when it wasn't before.

Since I knew two people who were burned by this, I thought I would mention it.

I'd mention it again in a heartbeat just in case the poster doesn't realize it because changes have happened over the years and people do get burned by it. It was not my intention to perturb you. I was trying to be helpful, dear.

19. Aces

Aces Companion

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:16 PM

Well dear I've got the updated prescriptions covered ;) mine is updated every 120 days.

20. futuremathsprof

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:20 PM

:yeahthat: