Pre-employment Drug Screening

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Maggie Carly, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Maggie Carly

Maggie Carly New Member

Jul 6, 2018

Hello! I just recently graduated college and have been looking for a job. I was wondering if someone could shed some light on drug tests surrounding teacher hires. Most of my friends have never taken one, and yet I know schools do. Is there a way that I can tell if a school applying to will have a drug screening? If so how? Also: what's your personal experience with pre employment procedures surrounding drug testing?

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 6, 2018

To my recollection, I’ve only had to do a drug screening for 1/4 of the schools where I’ve worked. I think the only way to know for sure is to contact HR and ask, or just go through the interview process and see what happens.

I have to think, though, if you’re so worried about a drug test that you want to find out which districts require them before you apply, maybe teaching isn’t the right path for you.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2018

I did not have to have a drug screening per se, but I did have to get a physical which included blood work, a urine test, and other tests.

We also have random drug testing during the year for all faculty, staff, and student athletes.

Teaching and drugs don’t mix.

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jul 6, 2018

I've never heard of random drug testing for faculty. We have it for student athletes and those who park on cammpus though.

I've never done drugs, but I would be slightly offended if they had us drug testing.

6. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jul 6, 2018

We randomly drug test for student athletes and students who park on the campus. I don't actually remember if they drug tested when I got hired but I don't see the issue with it? I mean I think the only reason to fear a drug test is if you know you're going to pee dirty... And yes we could get into the debate of legalizing drugs and what not (don't get me wrong I'm fully in favor of legalizing drugs) however being high on school grounds is not a good combination.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 6, 2018

My district doesn’t do drug screening for employees.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2018

I have been drug tested at the hire and physical. My only concern was that the prescribed drugs sometimes used when I have a migraine would indicate a problem, but since I had a legal prescription, it was a non issue.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 6, 2018

I've never heard of that around here. I've never been drug tested at either of the schools I work at. If we have a workplace accident, they can ask for a drug test before a workman's comp can be filed but that's it.

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 6, 2018

Drug AND alcohol tested here along with the physical!
    Yes, the alcohol test was a breathalyzer..

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2018

And I will gladly go on record as thinking that this is appropriate. I have seen teachers who hit happy hour at the end of the week, and rush out to drive home after chugging the last half of their drink or beer. I never cease to be amazed at their actions.

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2018

Haven't heard of that at all in my state. There's a question in the application I think that asks about any issues with drugs, but outside of that, it has never come up.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2018

I've never been drug tested for a teaching job. My district doesn't do that.

Are you concerned about failing a drug test?

14. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 6, 2018

Well that makes sense, but who would drink the morning of their physical if they knew it involved a drug & alcohol test?! :rolleyes:

15. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Jul 6, 2018

Never done any of this...

16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2018

Google “moral turpitude.” If you are a user and aspire to become an educator, then this would be an example of that.

I surmise that you are trying to thwart a drug test. Shame on you if that is true.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    a2z and BioAngel like this.
  17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 7, 2018

Teachers are asked to set an example for our students. If you are doing drugs, you may want to rethink your employment path. I have nothing against have a few drinks with friends, but illegal drugs are a huge no no.

18. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2018

Let's just say that what seems sane and reasonable to you or me doesn't apply to all people. Some people seem to self medicate for stress, or just to calm their nerves.

Backroads likes this.
  19. Liliteaches1

Liliteaches1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2018

We shouldn't judge as we don't know the circumstances of the situation...And I don't think it's nice to say shame on you and make someone feel bad when they were simply asking a question.

swansong1 likes this.
  20. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jul 11, 2018

Well... It is a valid concern. The only reason to really be worried about a drug test is if you've been doing illegal drugs. This being said, I take morphine tablets for my leg (yes I do have a prescription) and could care less if they drug tested me today, tomorrow, next week, or whenever they like.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  21. Liliteaches1

Liliteaches1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2018

True. I am simply saying that the tone in which that statement was said was not very nice at all. I thought forums were to inform, help, and educate not bash... What do they say.. "it's not what you say but HOW you say it".
    That's all that I meant. I agree that drug users shouldn't teach but once again no one really knows the situation except the person who initially asked.