Praxis

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by gbsk, Jul 28, 2016.

1. gbsk

gbsk New Member

Jul 28, 2016

My wife has been a substitute teacher for a few years and wants to take the Praxis. She is dyslexic and especially has trouble with math. She has 2 book she is studying from. She is barely passing the practice tests and is worrying about the tests she is taking on Aug. 1. Does anyone have suggestions on how or what to study for the test?

Thanks,
    GB

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 28, 2016

Today's July 28, so that doesn't give much time. She might do well to approach Aug. 1 mentally as a trial test, just to see what the thing's like; you'd be surprised how many people pass when they take a little of the mental pressure off this way.

Going forward, she might want to try working through the short videos and practice math sets on Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.org. If your own math is decent, you might get a sense from her when she comes home as to the range of concepts that was tested, and then you can guide her as to how far to go with Khan Academy. If Khan Academy doesn't suit her, Free Technology for Teachers, www.freetech4teachers.com, can suggest alternatives.

If she can document her dyslexia, she can almost certainly get extra time for testing, and possibly some other accommodations as well. I think all of the Praxis elementary-ed tests allow calculators for math - in some cases, the calculator may be part of the test software, so perhaps that will help.

4. gbsk

gbsk New Member

Jul 28, 2016

Thanks for the reply. I told her about Khan Academy but did not know about Free Technology for Teachers, I don't know if she can document her dyslexia but will tell her.She is not doing that well on the reading tests and some other tests also according to her. I can help her with most subjects but math is not my strong area. She said that i she does not pass one portion of test (i.e. math), then she has to take all the tests again. Is that right? It sounds very unfair. I was wondering why the tests are so expensive since the Praxis is supposed to be non profit. Being computerized tests, it seems that there would be low oerhead. Where does all the money go?

Thanks,
    GB

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 28, 2016

What's the number of the Praxis she's taking?

6. gbsk

gbsk New Member

Jul 28, 2016

I believe she is taking #5014 and 5018 next week and she also has to take 5712, 5722 and 5732 another time. Thanks for the reply.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 28, 2016

5712, 5722, and 5732 are the Praxis Core basic-skills tests: reading, writing, and math, in that order. Your state requires those (or something like them) of anyone who seeks a teaching license at any level.

She might want to check to see whether she really is supposed to take both 5014 and 5018. I don't see 5014 listed in the menu of preparation documents, and since both 5014 and 5018 have the title "Elementary Education Content Knowledge", I suspect that 5018 replaces 5014.