Praxis Middle School Science 5440- Test Prep via study.com?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Acamp, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

Sep 20, 2018

Good evening all,
    I want to take the Middle School Science Praxis (5440). I have limited science knowledge but I just need the additional endorsement.

Has anyone used the study.com prep course for that middle school science praxis? If so, was it adequate?

If not, what did you use that prepared you for success on that praxis having little science knowledge before you started studying for it?

Thanks again!

3. lokin

lokin Rookie

Dec 28, 2018

I haven’t specifically used it for ms science but I have for ms social studies and ELA and art k-12. Highly recommend. They felt shady at first but I highly recommend them now that I’ve dealt with them. Worth the money imo.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Dec 30, 2018

OP, have to ask - how much or little science do you have? In NJ, for MS endorsements you have to have 15 undergrad credits for the endorsement plus take the Praxis, but some states go with if you can pass the exam then you must be qualified to teach it. Honestly, I have had to dip into every single endorsement that I hold, whether I thought I would teach it, or not. That said, if you wouldn't want to teach it in a million years, don't test for it. I refuse to go after any math endorsement, even though I "could" if so inclined. I would hate teaching it, so since my experience has been that if you have the endorsement, the district will find a way to use you in it, I choose NOT to get a MS endorsement in math. Just something to think about. I hold K-6, MS Science, MS ELA, MS SS, ESL PK-12, Biology and General Science K-12, and SPED PK-12. I have been asked to use all of them at one time or another. If earning the endorsement results in a pay raise, the district notices. Earning the ESL cert resulted in my second Master's, and I have about 2/3 of a third from earning the SPED endorsement. I'm not really interested in pursing a completion of a third Master's, and no inclination to go for a doctorate in anything. I don't see an upside for me. Take classes - yes, because there is always something interesting out there to learn. Earn more certifications? I think I am done. No interest in being an administrator. I love what I do, so that works for me.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  5. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

Jan 5, 2019

Good morning and thank you for your reply! When you prepared for your MS social studies and ELA praxis exam, did you soley use the study.com test prep? And if so, I am guessing you were successful in passing all those praxis exams?

Thanks again!

6. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

Jan 5, 2019

Good morning!
    Thanks for your reply. I actually have 15-18 credits in undergrad science so fulfilling that criteria for NJ wouldn't be the problem. It is more so if I want to prepare to take the praxis exam. As you said, I love math much better than science but you never know the need of positions in school districts. My thinking was that if I had the additional science endorsement it would just help in case there was a shortage on science vs math for middle school (since I am not tenured yet).

By the way, are you a NJ teacher? If so, I see from your post that you have your ESL endorsement. I was going to post a topic about ESL but could you share your experience on how you obtained that endorsement? How the testing was? Which state?

Thanks again! Have a great day.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Jan 7, 2019

I answered your ESL question at that post.

Honestly, I would think science OR math would get you a job. If you love math, I would bank on that. If you like science better than math, which I doubt, then I would earn that cert. NJ is fairly saturated in SS teachers, but if you want to earn the MS ELA cert, that could be useful in some districts.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jan 8, 2019

Wow! I’m impressed with the number of endorsements you have. Incredible.

<tips hat>

Also, could you elaborate on what you mean when you say the district notices if an endorsement results in a pay raise. What does that mean?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Jan 8, 2019

This speaks somewhat to threads we have had in the past where SPED teachers don't actually like teaching SPED, but earned the certification to help them find a job. Some quickly want a gen. ed position, but feel locked out of consideration for those jobs because they hold the SPED cert. If you don't want to teach it, the extra certifications can come back to bite you in the behind.

Most of the time, when you earn a new endorsement you have acquired more grad credits, degrees, etc., which has a tendency to move you up the pay scale. Districts tend to notice when you are "just" a SS teacher, but you have those ESL and SPED endorsements on the books. I have been chosen to teach "a class of this or that" due to the endorsements, or to mentor a new teacher, etc. There's nothing at all wrong with being called upon to use the certificates as long as you like teaching those subjects. The truth is, I like all of the subjects that I am qualified to teach. I'm good at math, but don't like teaching it, hence the reason I don't possess that certification. I think I can stay busy with what I have, while loving what I do. Yes, those certs do provide me with a lot of grad credits/degrees that have bolstered my salary. I consider it a blessing to be paid well for what I love to do. All the money in the world wouldn't make up for hating what I was doing, making me miserable. I choose happiness.

10. lokin

lokin Rookie

Mar 12, 2019

I am sorry I never responded to this post but I did want to clarify for those in the future who are searching about Study.com. I did completely use it for ELA 7-12 (though I felt I did not need it for that one, so perhaps not the best example) and SS 5-9 and 7-12. I feel it completely held my hand and I passed easily. I started about 2-3 weeks out from the actual test. And did pay for the study.com account so I got the little tests and things but I just used the videos and took notes. And reread my notes the morning of.