Praxis Middle School Math 0069.....

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by bamafan, May 15, 2006.

1. bamafan

bamafan Rookie

May 15, 2006

Hello everyone! I am interested in finding out more information about the middle school math Praxis. I am a history teacher in Alabama who is decent at Algebra related math. The state is allowing teachers to take the Praxis in order to add extra endorsements to our certificate so I thought I would take the test. I am signed up for the June 10 administration. ANybody ever taken this test? Do you think someone who is not necessarily a "math" teacher could pass it? Thanks for any help.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 15, 2006

No experience with the exam you want to take. But I can tell you that if you are comfortable with the level of math on the exam (and middle school math is not particularly demanding) and do the appropriate preparation I am sure you can pass. That is what I did with CSET Math which is required to teach math in California if you have not completed an approved math program. My major was business.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 16, 2006

This is, I believe, Praxis 20069. The Tests at a Glance document (http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/PRAXIS/pdf/0069.pdf) might be worth a look, if you haven't checked it out already. The math doesn't look that challenging, and I should hasten to point out that I am no math major. Do take a look for yourself, though. And as you study, do feel free to post your questions on the material here. You may also find some of the CSET Math single subject posts useful.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 27, 2006

I was just coming on here to post a similair question. Thanks TG I could not figure out which test I would need to take for middle school math.

6. ~Teacher~

~Teacher~ Rookie

Jun 2, 2006

I now have to take this test too this summer! Any suggestions would be helpful!!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2006

First, download the Tests at a Glance document so you see what you're up against. Don't just depend on the sample questions, however: pay attention to the list of topics covered, since any of them could show up on a particular version of this test.

Next, use the Internet to help you learn the math you don't already know. innovationguy, who helps people with the very challenging CSET Math exam, passed on a nifty tip: if you want to see some topic in math animated, try Googling for the topic followed by the word "applet" (for example, "Pythagorean theorem applet"). Google will spit back a list of Web sites with Java applets that illustrate that topic.

You may also want to look through the threads on CSET Math for resources that can help you review the math you need.

8. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Jun 6, 2006

Hello,

I have taken the Praxis II mathematics (0069) 3x and still have not met my state's (Virginia) passing requirement sore. VA requires 163 for the past 2x I have taken the test I have gotten 145.

It covers basically everything except Trig and Calculus. Know your formulas, esp. those in regards to geometry, specifically, circles and cylinders.

I still am trying to figure out how to pick up those last 18pts I need to pass this test.

What are you doing in regards to studying for it? Please let me know if you have found anything that's effective and seems to work.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2006

How do you do on each of the content areas in the exam? How do you do with the multiple choice questions and the constructed response questions?

10. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Jun 6, 2006

Are you asking me specifically, Malcolm?

If so.... I do my best, that's the best answer I can give. I don't leave any of the multiple choice blank. I guess if I have too. As for the 3 response questions go. I know they are weighted 3pts being the most you can earn. I have no trouble with the first response question. And like most things they get harder and harder. I'm lucky if I put down something half way decent for the 3rd one. If it asks for a figure I draw it and label things, so they at least know I've grasped the basic concept hoping to score one or 1.5, or 2pts.

I just can't seem to score that 163+pts that I need to pass. :(

Any suggestions or ideas on how to go about studying?

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2006

Yes, you, Mr.MiddleSchool...

What I am getting at is do you consistently do better in some content categories than others. Your score reports have the raw points you earned in each content category. When you compare the raw points you earned in each content category with the maximum raw points available for that category, do you get a significantly lower percentage of the available raw points in some of the content categories than others. If so, it would make sense to concentrate your efforts on those content categories.

Likewise, do you get a significantly different percentage of the available raw points in the multiple choice questions compared to the constructed response questions? If you performance on the constructed response questions is lower, if might make sense to concentrate on constructed response. FWIW, it sounds like constructed response is part of your problem. I don't think there is any order to constructed response questions. That is, they don't actually get harder from first to last. It sounds to me like you are psyching yourself out as you go.

What is your math background? What math courses did you take in college? How well did you do? How well do you do on standardized tests in general?

How have you been preparing for this test?

FWIW ETS sells a study guide that covers this test and some others. I have no idea if it will be any help to you.

12. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Jun 6, 2006

Well, as far as my background in math goes, I've taken finite math, and algebra, and geometry, up to early trig. As for studying, I do the "basics"... look at and study the ETS Test a glance, checked out the Praxis Books at my university and did the smaple tests in them... and tried memorizing formulas (geometry.)

Alas, none of this seems to help.

Recently my school had a book giveaway where they gave away old textbooks and things, I got several Teacher Edition Math books, and Praxis I books. Maybe I should look the math section over in that Praxis book...even though it's Praxis I, and see if that helps.

Any other ideas and comments you wish to throw my way?

13. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2006

Well, you have certainly seem to have had enough math for this exam. But it sounds to me from what you have described that the problem is mastery of, or more likely recency of experience with, the subject matter, not test taking technique.

Looks like you definitely have to know all the common formulas.

IMHO repeatedly taking sample exams is a waste of time. One, or at most two, might be appropriate. But at best they can only point out areas in which you need to improve. Doing well on a sample exam is no guarantee that you have sufficient command of the subject to pass the real thing.

IMHO to improve your score, what you need to do is identify the areas you are strong in, and the ones you are weak in, then spend the time improving your weak areas by studying and doing lots and lots of problems. The only exception to this I can think of is when you are only a point or two from passing. Then it might make sense to improve your strong area a bit, just enough to pass, if it is easier to do than bring up your weak area.

Because I still have no idea whether you did better in some areas than others, I can give only a general approach to preparing for similar exams that has worked for me. I would build my own preparation document. I would start with the Test at a Glance document, transfer the outline of the test contents to a word processor, and expand each bullet into a mini tutorial using information from appropriate text books and internet sources. Doing this serves several purposes. First it ensures that you touch on all subjects that may be covered by the exam and don't waste time on things that won't be on it. Second it forces you to do the research which will help to fill in the concepts for any area you might be weak in, which in turn forces you to learn something about the concepts. And third, it gives you a highly focused tool to review over and over as necessary. Once you have created such a document, you can use the relevant parts of any text books you have to amplify the information in your document, and as sources of practice questions.

Bottom line is there is no free lunch. To master this stuff, you have to do lots and lots of problems. Good luck!

14. luckytesttaker

luckytesttaker Rookie

Jun 6, 2006

I took CSET math. I believe the experience is translatable (Is this an English word? Anyway, the meaning is clear).

My approach is similar to Malcolm.

Let me spell out how I prepared for each CSET test:

1. Print out the "topics" list (TES Test at a glance)
    2. Check item by item from top to bottom. Mark all areas with special codes, such as A (no need to study), B (review, low priority), C (review, high priority), D (need to study), F (study from scratch).
    3. Attack C (review, high priority). Goals: Understand concept, successfully solve a bunch of problems, feel good.
    4. Attack D and F with focused effort. Same goals as mentioned in 3.
    5. Attack B (should be a cakewalk).
    6. Look at A (Just in case).

Basically the goals for all topics are, in order
    A) Understand all concepts
    B) Solve a whole bunch of problems

Extremely important: Don't ever skip goal A. Only when goal B helps you to achieve goal A that the 2 goals can be bundled together.

By going through this process you will be able to identify every roadblock along the way, get appropriate help to overcome it, then aim at the next roadblock...

Hope this helps.

15. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Jun 7, 2006

Thanks, luckytesttaker and Malcolm. I will try to incorporate you methods in my studying to help me prepare for my test in August.

16. roos

roos New Member

Nov 10, 2007

Hello, I really need some examples of Praxis II mathematics 0069 o short term.

Hello, I read you have done these exams a few times. Do you have some example of the last exams in an electronical form for me? I do possess the books of mel friedman but I feel I need more than that. I will really appreciate your help, Future teacher.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 10, 2007

roos, the posts to which you're responding are more than a year old; of the people who are still around, I don't know how many are veterans of Praxis II 0069.

0069 tests middle school mathematics. AP Calculus preparation guides would be overkill, I should think, but a good prep book for SAT math would probably give you more than enough material. You could also look for entrance exams for Catholic high schools. What you'll find electronically is hard to say, but your local library should have some options, or you can look for used editions on eBay.

18. Martyjr10x

Martyjr10x Rookie

Nov 10, 2007

I am going to take the Middle School Praxis II for math next weekend. Can anyone tell me if they provide any formulas with the test or do you have to know them all. I know they provide some of the formulas for the high school test, but can't find the answer for middle school. I asked ETS and all I got back, was buy their study guides. I bought them for another test and found them very lacking.
    Thanks.
    Marty

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 10, 2007

I would expect that any fairly usual formula that was given in the high school Praxis II would also be given in a middle school test... but let's see if any veterans of the test pop up with a different answer.

20. innovationguy

innovationguy Comrade

Nov 11, 2007

I imagine the salient issue is: ought not a Middle School Math teacher to simply know [i.e. have "memorized"...] basic formulae such as Areas of basic Geometric Shapes, the Quadratic Formula, Pythagoras' Theorem and so on? From application flows familiarity. This knowledge, I imagine, would be an inalienable component of Subject Matter competency...

I just examined the Praxis Study Guide for 20069 [actually, sample Qs!] and deem that Math content up to Algebra II level is fair game. In contrast, middle school Math teachers in CA need to take the CSET Single Subject Math test which assesses till Precalculus and beyond...[unless there is indeed a different Praxis dispensation for non-CA teachers too!].

Jay.
    http://csetmathguru.weebly.com/index.html

21. roos

roos New Member

Nov 11, 2007

Hello Jay
    Thanks for your empathy, Roos