Praxis ll or CSET??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by TeacherMaybe, Feb 20, 2007.

1. TeacherMaybe

TeacherMaybe New Member

Feb 20, 2007

Does anyone know which test is supposedly harder between the Praxis ll and the CSET? Just curious if anyone has ever taken both. I'm trying to figure out if I want to do my credential program here in California or Idaho where I'm hoping to move. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!! ;)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 20, 2007

Find out whether Idaho will accept CSET, and find out which Praxis II(s) is/are required.

If CSET is accepted, I'd recommend it, other things being equal: it will make you work harder overall, because it does expect the taker to be able to think about the subject matter and apply principles and knowledge to solve problems or draw conclusions that you may not have explicitly thought about before. Believe it or not, that's good news.

More to the point, with CSET you have the option of taking just one subtest, which is limited in the subject matter it covers, and having all five hours of testing time for it - so you're not sunk if you're not the world's fastest test taker. Praxis II exams as a class test across the domains all at once and have fixed time frames.

You might want to prowl the Multiple Subject Tests subforum under Examinations for Teachers for more insights.

4. TeacherMaybe

TeacherMaybe New Member

Feb 21, 2007

CSET VS. Praxis ll

Yes, well basically even if one has a credential from another state, one still needs to take the Praxis ll in Idaho. I don't remember the exact number, but it was the elementary part and the other test was some kind of principles of teaching, plus one has to take a computer skills test....so 3 total they told me.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 22, 2007

Did you doublecheck the test requirement with the Idaho state education authorities? Idaho purportedly accepts ABCTE results.

If Idaho is where you're bound, then you'll need the Praxis exams, which means you need to know just which ones and whether you can take them in California. All that information can be found, one way or another, on the Praxis Web site, and this link will get you there: http://www.ets.org.praxis.

6. smiles6543

smiles6543 New Member

Apr 10, 2017

7. smiles6543

smiles6543 New Member

Apr 10, 2017

Hello! I realize that this post is rather old but I think there are still a lot of people with this same question! I tried the praxis II twice and couldn't pass the math section. I live in Nevada, and you can take the cbest/cset in leu of the praxis. I think my issue was the amount of time you get per problem. I cannot do math problems quickly. I decided to go the cbest and cset route because you get a significant amount of time to work out the problems. Guess what? I passed the first try on both the cbest and cset. I have struggled with math my whole life, and I just want to tell everyone out there, don't give up. If I can do it, you can do it. The cbest/cset route worked for me. I hope this gives some hope to those with test/math anxiety.