Praxis II scores raw/scaled?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Football fan, Jun 21, 2014.

1. erickamichelle

erickamichelle Rookie

Jun 29, 2017

Can you please let me know what your scaled score was and raw score was Praxis 5857? I was offered a teaching position, but have to have a passing score on this test and don't get results until another 2 weeks.

2. erickamichelle

erickamichelle Rookie

Jul 11, 2017

Praxis 5857 Physical and Health education.

My Raw score was 72 out 130 questions and my official score was 158

Hope this helps someone.

3. destin4success2

destin4success2 Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

I recently took Praxis 5354. There were 120 questions on the test and the score on the screen was 162. It did show scores for the individual areas but I do not remember them. I need a 151 to pass. Is it likely that my unofficial score of 162 will change. I hope not as I have already applied for jobs that require me to have passed this test. Thanks

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2017

Unofficial Praxis scores sometimes go up by a few points, but they don't seem to go down in the absence of some kind of testing irregularity. Let me offer you unofficial congratulations.

destin4success2 likes this.
  5. erickamichelle

erickamichelle Rookie

Jul 17, 2017

I took mine last month and the unofficial score was 158 and received my official score last week and it was exactly the same. So most likely you passed!

destin4success2 likes this.
  6. destin4success2

destin4success2 Rookie

Jul 17, 2017

How long did it take to get your official score report?

7. erickamichelle

erickamichelle Rookie

Jul 18, 2017

I received it 10 business days after my testing window ended. For multiple choice only it states 10-16 business days after testing window ends. And my test was all Multiple choice

8. Changing Gears

Changing Gears New Member

Jul 21, 2017

Hi there, I took the Earth and Space Science exam this morning and got an unofficial/raw score of 188. I need to score a 156 to pass in my state. How should I be feeling right now? Thanks in advance.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 21, 2017

Changing Gears, your 188 is certainly an unofficial score, because you saw it on the day of testing and because it wasn't reported on the official score report - but it's unlikely to be a raw score.

A raw score, on a test that's strictly selected response, is simply the number of responses that you got right. If all the questions are multiple choice, there's one correct response per question; other question types (matching, choose all that are correct, fill-in with more than one slot to fill in) can have more than one correct response and thus count for more than one raw point. A total raw score ranges from zero (nothing right) to however many responses are in the test, minus the number of responses that are not counted because the questions to which they pertain are "pre-test" or experimental questions.

A raw score counts every response equally. The problem is that it's darned hard to write even two questions that are exactly equivalent in difficulty, let alone several tests' worth of them - and that means that one raw score of 85 on the test version that you took may not reflect the same level of performance as a raw 85 on a different version of the same test. The solution to this is to use scaled scores: an algorithm converts each raw score of 85 to a scaled score that, for Praxis, begins at 100 and generally tops out at 200, and in the process adjusts for the relatively difficulty of the test versions. While raw scores from different versions really can't be compared one-to-one, the scaled scores can. (Statistics for the win!)

Let me offer you unofficial congratulations.

Changing Gears likes this.
  10. benjwilliams782

benjwilliams782 New Member

Aug 14, 2017

Greetings everyone!

I just walked out of my Praxis II 5038 with a total score of 170. How would that translate to whether I passed or not once the official score comes out in a few weeks?

11. Alicia Buda

Alicia Buda New Member

Aug 14, 2017

Hello,
    I just took my Praxis 5005 Science test and received a raw score of 33. I needed an overall score of 159 to pass... I think I barely made it but wanted to reach out to see if anyone knew for sure? Waiting 30 days isn't going to be fun.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 16, 2017

I can't think of a case (well, barring testing irregularities) in which an official scaled score has been lower than an unofficial one.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 16, 2017

You faced 50 questions, though (as page 5 of the Study Companion indicates) not all 50 get counted because they're being field-tested for inclusion in future versions of the exam. As nearly as I can tell, the unofficial raw score is based on only the questions that count. I make no guarantees, but your chances look good.

14. Brethren

Brethren New Member

Nov 17, 2017

Hello everybody. I just took a 120 question Praxis 2 Physical Education Content Knowledge 5091 test. A score popped up at the end of the test saying I scored a 144. How is this possible out of 120 questions? Is this good? I've been hearing about raw scores and scaled scores. What does all this mean. Will my official score be different? If so, lower or higher?

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 17, 2017

Let me see if I can help, Brethren.

First, be aware that pretty much every teacher test out there, and most other high-stakes tests, exists in more than one version or edition. One reason for this is to try to thwart cheating; another is to ensure that people who are retaking a test are neither at an advantage or at a disadvantage compared to those who are seeing the test for the first time. If you have a favorite sport and you found yourself thinking that 5091 didn't have enough questions about that sport compared to some others, you've encountered a third reason: that any one test can't really cover everything worth asking about a teacher licensure area's subject matter.

The result is that any three people taking 5091 at the same time may very well be seeing different versions of 5091; because they weren't taking exactly the same version, their raw scores really can't be compared directly. And if you are ever in the position of writing quizzes or tests, you will discover a third issue quickly and painfully: how darned hard it is to write even two questions that are exactly equivalent in difficulty, let alone 120 questions times whatever number of versions of 5091 exist minus questions that are used in more than one version. The solution adopted by most test companies is to convert raw scores to scaled scores by factoring in the relative difficulty of the versions and/or questions, so that, across versions of the same test, the same score represents the same level of performance. For 5091 and most of its tests, Praxis reports its scaled scores on a scale from 100 to 200, so your scaled score is 144 on a scale from 100 to 200.

16. JVJ

JVJ New Member

Nov 20, 2017

Hello, I just finished the interactive Business Education 5101 practice test and got a raw score of 79. Does anyone one know if that would be a passing score? I need a scaled sore of 154 to pass. I'm taking the the actual test next month, so any study tips are greatly appreciated.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 20, 2017

Predicting actual results from practice tests is a a chancy exercise, partly because test questions differ among themselves in difficulty but also because differences in how the actual test approaches some content can throw off a test taker. In addition, some of Praxis's newer question types allow multiple responses - question 17 may have two drag-and-drop responses and thus count for two raw points rather than one - which means that the old one-raw-point-per-question rule doesn't apply.

With all that said, tell me how many total points the interactive test offers - that is, 79 out of what? - and I may be able to give you a very approximate, very hedged idea.

18. dutchindo

dutchindo Rookie

Nov 20, 2017

Thanks. It was 79 out of 120.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 20, 2017

79 out of 120 is just under 2/3 correct. I'd say you have a bit more work to do, either on your grasp of the content or perhaps on your test-taking skills.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  20. Mansa

Mansa New Member

Dec 14, 2017

Hi . I took my praxis 5235 today (biology: content knowledge). If the state requirement is 152 and the score appeared on screen after test is 153, what would my official score approximately be? Total number of questions were 150. Pls explain