Praxis II scores raw/scaled?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Football fan, Jun 21, 2014.

1. LisaAnne

LisaAnne Rookie

Mar 5, 2017

Hello,

A raw score of 33=159. I recently failed praxis 5005 also, all of the material that I studied was not on the test. I purchased the interactive praxis 5005 test from the praxis website after my first attempt and the questions were very similar to my 1st test. Have you retaken yours yet? If so what study material did you use and was the second test similar to your first one? Good luck!!

2. Adam cooper

Adam cooper New Member

Mar 13, 2017

Did this end up a passing score? I just got a raw score of 83 today and am kind of concerned if I passed or not

3. CoachWest1

CoachWest1 New Member

Mar 21, 2017

Has anyone recently received their score for the 5857 Health and PE Exam? I am trying to figure out if my raw score computes to a passing score. According to a chart I found, in order to receive a passing score of 160, your raw score has to be 74. Does anyone know if that is correct?

4. acsesl3456

acsesl3456 New Member

Mar 26, 2017

I recently took the esol praxis. After clicking report scores, I saw a score of 200 on the screen. There were 120 questions on the test. How is this possible? There must be an error. Any ideas?

5. Tim C

Tim C Rookie

Mar 26, 2017

6. Tim C

Tim C Rookie

Mar 26, 2017

A 200 is a perfect score. Congratulations! The scoring system goes from 100 to 200. Google "understanding your praxis scores" to get an ETS document providing more info (look at the bottom)

7. kellybook53

kellybook53 New Member

Apr 22, 2017

Hi I'm new to this and I'm curious about my PRAXIS 5038 scores. I took the test and received a 182 raw score with a total of 90 questions correct out of 130. However I need a 167 scaled score to pass . Anyone have any idea if I came close to passing? I'm very anxious and want to begin seeking employment for next year but I don't want to do so with out my certification completed.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2017

Let me see if I can explain, kellybook53.

A raw score is the number of points one actually earns on the test; if the test is a standard multiple-choice test, the raw score will be less than or equal to the number of questions available, although if the test includes matching questions or drag-and-drop questions, some questions will be associated with more than one raw point, and any constructed responses are typically graded on a scale from 0 to 3, 0 to 4, or 0 to 6. It is possible for a raw score to be less than 100.

Any given teacher test exists in more than one version or edition. The versions inevitably differ both in specific topics that they cover and in difficulty - try writing two or three questions that are exactly equivalent in difficulty - so a raw score of 90 on the test version that you took can't always be compared to a raw score of 90 on a different version of the same test.

A scaled score takes the raw score as input and generates a number on a scale from 100 to 200. The algorithm that converts raw scores to scaled scores takes into account the comparative difficulty of the version of the test that one took, and the point of scaling is to produce scores that can reasonably be compared.

Your 182 isn't a raw score, it's an unofficial scaled score. Let me offer unofficial congratulations, though I'd recommend waiting to celebrate fully until you receive your official score report.

kellybook53 likes this.
  9. kellybook53

kellybook53 New Member

Apr 23, 2017

Thank so much! I appreciate it! I will keep my fingers crossed till I get my official report.

10. David.usmc

David.usmc New Member

May 15, 2017

Hello, this is my first time posting. I have taken 3 praxis exams (elementary content knowledge, elementary plt, and elementary curriculum and instruction) and have passed them all. I am taking my final praxis, reading 5203 in two days and was curious if anybody has taken it before, I am trying to get an idea of how many raw points are needed to pass. Thanks in advance

CoolJT likes this.
  11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 16, 2017

Welcome to A to Z, David.usmc. You'll find discussions of various states' reading-instruction tests in the Other Tests subforum: while formats differ, there's considerable parallelism in underlying content.

David.usmc likes this.
  12. CoolJT

CoolJT New Member

May 20, 2017

Hello Everyone,
    I'm looking for some positive insight on the 5038 Praxis. I'm planning to take the exam soon and would like some study resources and tips so I can really get my head in the game and pass. Any info is greatly appreciated

13. erickamichelle

erickamichelle Rookie

Jun 16, 2017

I just finished taking praxis 5857. My unofficial score was 158 and my raw score is 72/130. I need a 160 in Louisiana to pass. Any ideals will my score change from the 158 or is that my final score.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 17, 2017

Hugs, erickamichelle. While official scores can theoretically go up or down between the test date and the official score report, it's rare that they do. 158 is likely to be your official scaled score.

15. Charmin2U

Charmin2U New Member

Jun 19, 2017

5435 Praxis-- my raw score is 129. There were 135 questions how do I calculate my scale score.. The raw score is number that pops up correct?

16. David DiCaprio

David DiCaprio Rookie

Jun 19, 2017

When I did it my overall score was high enough that I didn't need to meet each specific section. But just double check.
    -David

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 19, 2017

Praxis calculates scaled scores from raw scores; the goal is to ensure that a scaled score of (say) 160 on version X of that test will reflect the same level of performance as a scaled score of 160 on version Y of that test.

If you saw scores by section and added them up to get 129, all of those - the section scores and the sum - are raw scores (that is, one point per correct answer); since 5435 contains only 135 questions, a raw score of 129 overall would correspond to a scaled score near or at the maximum of 200. But the chances are very good that 5435 also contains what Praxis sometimes calls "pre-test" questions, or questions that aren't counted either for or against the test taker because they're being field-tested for inclusion in later versions of the test. Given 135 questions overall, I would expect at least 15 to have been "pre-test" questions"; this makes me fear that your 129 is in fact a scaled score.

18. haley913

haley913 New Member

Jun 22, 2017

I just got done taking the Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications (5354) Praxis test. When it was over I got a score of 186. It didn't say raw or unofficial. I asked the administer how do I know if I passed and he said the score I saw was the score I earned. So this means I passed right?

19. whizkid

whizkid Rookie

Jun 22, 2017

I just looked at the passing scores on the ETS site for this. It seems you passed for every single state. Congrats!:)

20. Charmin2U

Charmin2U New Member

Jun 25, 2017

Yes that is what I am afraid of. It just read raw score: 129. After taking the Praxis 5857 it read UnOfficial Score 153 and I failed. I am praying my raw score of 129 has to be converted to a scale score.