Praxis II scores raw/scaled?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Football fan, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Football fan

Football fan Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

Praxis II scores raw/scaled? Confused, Did I pass?

I recently took the SPED Praxis II I have to have a 151 ( I am guessing this is a scaled score) to pass in my state - AR. It was 120 multiple choice questions. When the test was over on the screen it showed a total raw score 180. How do I know if I passed or not?

Anderson36108? likes this.
  3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 21, 2014

The raw score is the number of points earned, and for multiple choice questions that's usually one point per question. Since this test has 120 multiple choice questions, I find myself suspecting that that 180 is a scaled score. (I'll add that most Praxis and Pearson multiple-choice teacher tests and subtests include between two and ten multiple choice questions that are "non-scoring": they don't count, because they're being tested for inclusion in future tests.)

If 180 is a raw score based on two points per question, that would mean 90 questions correct out of that 120, which is still 75% correct and probably enough to pass.

But please don't pop the corks on your celebratory bubbly till you receive the official score report.

4. Emmittsk22

Emmittsk22 Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

Raw score

If I need a minimum of 161 to pass my praxis 5038 what would be the minimum raw score I could get to pass? I take my test next week, and am really nervous. Seems like it's really tough to pass this. I've studied all summer

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2014

Welcome to A to Z, Emmittsk22. Ready for a complicated answer?

Scaled scores exist because any given Praxis test exists in multiple versions, and these versions inevitably vary in difficulty. (Why "inevitably"? Try writing even two test questions that are EXACTLY equivalent in difficulty.) Rather than trying to make the test versions equivalent in difficulty, the test makers use scaled scores, so that each score of 161 on any version of a specific test represents the same level of achievement. But that level of achievement can require a different number of questions correct, depending on whether the questions involved are easy or difficult.

You're still probably feeling daunted. Let me point out that that score of 161 is on a scale that runs from 100 to 200. Draw yourself a number line and plot 161 on it, and you'll see that that comes nowhere near acing the test. It's generally the case for teacher tests that getting 2/3 of questions correct will suffice.

For 5038, you might do well to look at the threads here for other states' tests of English language and literature, plus the thread "Elmer's English resources", in which you'll find a couple of glossaries that might be useful.

6. Emmittsk22

Emmittsk22 Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

Raw Scores/comments

Ok. This helped, and thank you for the additional resources!

So when I see my raw score flash on my screen once I complete my test, how do I determine whether or not I've passed? Is there a specific "formula" or a way to get a general idea?

I'm just not feeling good about my chances after reading so many different posts from folks who haven't passed. I just don't understand why this has to be such a hard test-I'm thinking there are some valuable teaching candidates out there being held back by inability to pass these tests. I've taught for 27 years, and am taking this to get certification outside of special education. Studying has left me feeling so inadequate, yet I know that I'm an excellent teacher.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 9, 2014

Hugs, Emmittsk22. Do bear in mind that one tends to hear horrible things about these tests from precisely those who struggle with them. If you were a decent test taker Back In The Day, you're probably in better shape than you think.

I'll also point out that a test like this is very much less about how good you are as a teacher overall than it is about your grasp of the subject matter in question - and this is true even if the questions are framed in terms of teaching scenarios. If you haven't been teaching the subject matter so much, you have some work to do, sure... but that is not at all the same thing as being inadequate as a teacher, so please redirect your mind when it tries to drag you there.

8. Emmittsk22

Emmittsk22 Rookie

Jul 9, 2014

Thank you

Thank you for your kind words. Part of my problem is I am an "overthinker" and usually don't do as well as I should on standardized tests. Even "back in the day", I was not a good test taker. :help:
    When taking the practice tests, due to my over analyzing and lack of self confidence at this point, I find myself missing a few questions that I should've known. Now, there are also questions that really throw me for a loop-and so for those types, I'm hoping I am a good guesser next week.:)
    I'm just hoping for the best at this point. I don't care whether or not I get in the top percentile. I just want to do well enough to pass!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 9, 2014

More hugs. Don't TAKE the test, then: TEACH it. Imagine that either your favorite student or your favorite colleague is taking the test, this person is truly suffering over this test, and your job is to serve as the guide on the side, ensuring that this poor benighted soul doesn't go off the rails and doesn't miss the stuff that currently has you hitting yourself over the head.

10. Football fan

Football fan Rookie

Jul 11, 2014

I did get my official results today for my praxis II I passed. The 180 was the scaled score. YAY!!! That is a relief.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2014

Congratulations, Football fan!

12. TeachersKid

TeachersKid Rookie

Aug 10, 2014

Hi!

I took the Praxis 5038 test today. It displayed a raw score of 86.

I read online, "ETS provides a recommended passing score from the multistate standard-setting study to help education agencies determine an appropriate operational passing score. For the Praxis English Language Arts: Content Knowledge test, the recommended passing score1 is 79 out of a possible 110 raw-score points. The scaled score associated with a raw score of 79 is 167 on a 100–200 scale."

I would post the source, but since I am new, I cannot post links, yet.

Therefore, is it safe to "assume" I passed?

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 11, 2014

I would say congrats! Nicely done. You should be free and clear.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 11, 2014

Sounds good, TeachersKid.

15. Emmittsk22

Emmittsk22 Rookie

Aug 17, 2014

I passed! When I finished my test, the computer screen flashed a raw score of 176, and I just received my scores from ets and it's official. So I'm now out of special Ed and have moved into my new teaching assignment! Thanks for all the encouragement from this forum!

Megan Rae likes this.
  16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 17, 2014

Congratulations!

17. marissatraer

marissatraer New Member

Nov 13, 2014

Hey! Emmittsk22 I am so glad that you passed! I was just wondering what studying tools that you used? Is there any recourses that you can share with me?

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 13, 2014

Welcome to A to Z, marissatraer.

I'll repeat the advice I gave Emmittsk22 a few posts ago:

"For 5038, you might do well to look at the threads here for other states' tests of English language and literature, plus the thread "Elmer's English resources", in which you'll find a couple of glossaries that might be useful."

What's your background in English literature or language?

19. Emmittsk22

Emmittsk22 Rookie

Nov 13, 2014

Quizlet is really good. Also there is a website, praxis prep.com that is good to help you become familiar with how questions are asked. Ets has some free PDF study guides that are helpful, but stick with free stuff. Don't waste your money on expensive books. The only thing I bought was one of the tests off of praxis prep, but you're allowed one free test. If you're taking the ELA test in content knowledge, know your poetry. Good luck!

20. sclreed

sclreed New Member

Dec 18, 2014

So I just took my NJ theatre praxis II exam (need a 153 to pass)
    At the end of my test it said my raw score was 180... how is this possible when only 120 questions were available. Arent they each 1 point? It should have said Something below 120 right? Did I get an "unofficial" scaled score?

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Dec 18, 2014

Yes. Congratulations.