Praxis II Math 0061 - raw vs. scaled

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by MathManTim, Mar 5, 2009.

1. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 5, 2009

I've been practicing for the Praxis II Math Content exam next Saturday (March 14th). I know that Indiana requires a scaled score of 136 to pass. Does anyone know what kind of raw score is required to get this scaled score? I haven't been able to find jack-squat for info on how the raw score gets converted to a scaled score.

Thanks,

MathManTim

3. sahsjing

sahsjing Rookie

Mar 5, 2009

136/200 = 68%

4. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 5, 2009

Thank you Captain Obvious! :D

From some of what I've read, though, I get the impression that it's not that direct. For example, I thought I read that the minimum score was 100 and the maximum 200. If that's true, then 136 would be only 36% correct, and that seems astonishingly low for a passing score...

Thanks,

MathManTim

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 5, 2009

Wow: I didn't know any teacher test allowed a scaled score that low. (Come to find, though, that some states may allow lower scores than that, or did as of 2006: see http://eduinsights.blogspot.com/2006/07/highly-qualfied-math-teacher.html). The test being in math, though, it's perhaps less surprising: if the pool of qualified candidates is smaller than the number of jobs available, the pressure is on to reduce the qualifications. And I believe the bulk of the scores on teacher tests were set when it was anticipated that there would be a shortage of teachers.

Scaled scores exist so that each version of a given test represents, overall, an equivalent level of effort and proficiency: it's much easier to weight questions differentially than it is to write questions that are exactly equivalent in difficulty.

6. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 5, 2009

I was reading that same blog post earlier today. As I've been reviewing for the test, I've been surprised at how relatively elementary the questions have been. Nothing at all like the Math GRE. Some of the questions have thrown me a bit because I literally haven't seen some of the topics since high school (15 years ago). For the past few years, my math education has been much more proof-oriented than computation-oriented.

In my practice exams, I've been averaging about 42-45 out of 50 on the raw score. If the relation between the scaled score and the raw score is linear, then I should be okay. Otherwise, heck, maybe a scaled score of 136 really is 40 or so out of 50 correct.

That's what I'm hoping for my area. I don't know, though...it seems like my alma mater graduates a fair number of math teachers into the local job pool. Oh, well. I guess I'll find out this Saturday at the job fair.

MathManTim

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 5, 2009

As to the pool of qualified candidates, I'm talking historically, Tim, not presently. And, in partial contradiction of the blog's assertions, some of the other states' tests are rather less heavy on computation: see the sample items at http://www.cset.nesinc.com/CS_testguide_Mathopener.asp.

8. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Mar 21, 2009

Did you take the test? We want details! (Ok, nothing proprietary...)

:reading:

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 21, 2009

He probably won't find out how he did for about a month. I took the middle school math test last March and missed it by 2 points. A passing score for here was 148.

Tim hope you passed!!

10. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 21, 2009

Yep, I took it last Saturday. I'm pretty sure I passed, though I would be floored if I got a perfect score. For the record, the test was harder than the sample exams in the preparation books I bought. In retrospect, I should have spent a little more time reviewing matrix theory.

Oh, and I'm changing my name on this board temporarily. In honor of my officially passing Praxis I, I am changing my name from MathManTim to Math-(Who's The Man! :thumb: )-Tim for the next 24 hours. :cool:

Math-(Who's The Man! :thumb: )-Tim

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 21, 2009

(chuckling)

Cute, Tim.

12. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Mar 22, 2009

Woo Hoo! Go you! Who's the MAN!!!

:thumb::wow:

13. StealYourCarbon

StealYourCarbon Rookie

Mar 13, 2010

Hey MathManTim

I'm studying for the Praxis II Math Content Knowledge exam right now, (0061), and I was wondering what study materials did you use? Mostly old textbooks for questions maybe? I'm taking the test April 24th. If you don't mind me asking, how did you prepare for this exam? Did you ever find any answers elsewhere regarding the raw vs scaled scores? I need 136 to pass, but I don't know what that translates to as far as number correct. When you took it, and felt you did well, was it a high scaled score? Do they tell you how many you missed to get that score? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions where to find practice exams? Thank you.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 13, 2010

As was noted earlier, Praxis exams' scales run from 100 to 200. Functionally, 100 is zero; there's no scenario under which I can imagine that 136 amounting to more than 40% correct.

15. LAteacher10

LAteacher10 Rookie

Mar 15, 2010

I took the test in Jan, for the first time and I got 17/50 right 34% and I only need 130 to pass the test. My score was only 110, so the raw-to-scale score is very confusing. I thought with that many correct I should have at least got a 125-130.....puzzled!

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 15, 2010

Hmmm... Well, one of the reasons that scaled scores are used is to try to ensure that any score of 130 represents the same level of achievement, no matter which version (form) of the test is given. Since, however, it's very difficult to write test questions that are of exactly equivalent difficulty, the algorithm that converts raw scores to scaled scores contains "fudge factors" (so to speak) that weight harder questions more heavily and easier ones more lightly. The difference in weighting could account for the variance you see.

Did the official score report give any insight into specific areas to work on?

17. LAteacher10

LAteacher10 Rookie

Mar 15, 2010

Yes it did, I took the test over this past Saturday so my fingers are crossed.

18. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Apr 6, 2010

I took this test in March for the first time and passed although the score wasn't that great but who cares, at least I don't have to take it again. I thought the exam was pretty hard and I didn't have enough time to finish and just ended up guessing on a lot of questions. My score was weird and I don't even think was reflective of how well I know the subjects because I scored really low on algebra, which I think is the easiest subject for me or at least the one I remember most from high school, long time ago. I used the Cliffnotes book although many people say that the practice tests in that book are a lot easier than the actual test and I concur. I also purchased some practice tests from a website for I think $30 at the last minute but that was kind of a waste of money as the tests wasn't even reflective of the actual test I took so it really threw me off because I got totally different questions. I also used a math website to review my math. And let's just say I think all that time spent studying was pretty pointless and wish I wouldn't have spent so much time on it as I don't think much of what I studied helped all that much. I would say the best review is the Cliffnotes book even though the practice tests are easier than the actual exam, the book gives a pretty good overview of what is covered and you can use that as a study guide.

The exam scale is from 100-200. There are 50 questions. Based on my score, seems like to get at least 136, you need to get less than 30 questions correct although I'm not sure how many less but based on LaTeacher10's post, more than 17 so maybe 25 or around there?

19. LAteacher10

LAteacher10 Rookie

Apr 13, 2010

how many did you get right? If you dont mind what was your score?

20. LeatherNeck

LeatherNeck New Member

Apr 20, 2010

Im taking it this saturday. Im so excited. I just got honorably discharged from the Marines, My bachelors is in economics and political science. I am new to teaching but I am very excited about teaching math.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 21, 2010

Hello, hero! Let me give you a huge TeacherGroupie welcome to A to Z!

May nothing befall you during Saturday's testing that you can't shrug off or laugh at in less than a week.