Praxis II biology 5235

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by heba, May 9, 2014.

1. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

May 25, 2014

I think the test had more classroom and or lab based questions and scenarios. But I think the book tests were pretty close to the actual test except for those questions. The test wasn't hard but it was tedious, as it took several hours and you're pretty fried by the time you're done.

You do mean Biology 0235, correct?

2. heba

heba Rookie

May 25, 2014

Oh really? Lab based questions? Uh-oh. Did they cover topics discussed in the book? And yes, I'm taking 0235 except the computer version.

Thanks for your feedback :)

3. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

May 27, 2014

They would present a scenario- your class did such and such lab. There would be a brief description and maybe 3 questions on that. There were maybe 10 questions like this. As long as you understand the base material and how labs work, you should be fine.

It's been a few years since I've taken the test...

4. heba

heba Rookie

May 27, 2014

Ok. Thankyou so much. Would you say that it's better to teach just biology or go for a general science certification too to higher your chances of getting a job?

5. suwun7

suwun7 Rookie

May 28, 2014

Hi there I'm scheduled to take the test in a few wks. Can you tell me round about where you would estimate a 150 would be for the test? Would you say that it's 60% of the test?

6. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

May 29, 2014

I'm not familiar with general science certification. I'm looking into HS so I would just be certified in biology and, depending on how that goes, maybe adding chemistry down the line.

I also had to take a General Science Praxis for the MAT program I applied to. That was trickier, because there is everything on there, from physics to Earth science, and when I took it, there wasn't a study guide. (I don;t know if there is one now, this was 2011-12.) I used the Cliff Notes books for each subject, the Khan Academy lectures and old textbooks. I didn't do as good on that one as I did on the biology one.

I got a 179 on the biology one and they rounded it up to a 90%. So I'm assuming they use a traditional grading scale for it.

7. heba

heba Rookie

May 29, 2014

Oh really? Yeah the general science praxis is harder b/c you have to know all middle school sciences pretty well. Not sure yet if I wanna take it somewhere down the road.

I thought the score is computated differently. I bought a retired test rom ETS and they tell u what you would get based on how many questions u got right. Like u can pass w/ 60%. It's weird. What year did u take the bio praxis?

8. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

May 29, 2014

Late 2011, or early 2012? I took so many tests that year I lost count!

I do know that to get the 90% "award" or recognition, you had to be at a 179 or higher. Maybe they grade differently for people below that cutoff? I don't know...

9. heba

heba Rookie

May 29, 2014

Ok. I see what you mean. I'm just looking to pass. Not sure if I'll get 90% :(

10. heba

heba Rookie

May 29, 2014

Would you say that the questions on the biology praxis were all covered in the topics that are in the study guides? Anything that wasn't?

11. redbee

redbee Rookie

Jun 6, 2014

i don't remember feeling "i haven't studied this topic." so I guess the study guide is pretty good. When are you taking the test?

12. redbee

redbee Rookie

Jun 6, 2014

@suwun7, I don't know how many questions you have to answer correctly to get 150 because there's a raw score and then converted to scale score. If you get the practice test from Praxis, there's a conversion table at the end of the test, it should tell you what you need to pass.

13. heba

heba Rookie

Jun 7, 2014

I'm taking it in mid August

14. suwun7

suwun7 Rookie

Jun 13, 2014

Tks for your input. I appreciate it.

15. suwun7

suwun7 Rookie

Jun 13, 2014

If anyone has a practice test they would like to share with me...I would greatly appreciate it. I'm taking the test in a few days. I just recently had surgery and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

16. suwun7

suwun7 Rookie

Jun 16, 2014

If there is anyone who's been in this situation before please let me know. I just took my Biology Praxis and to my dismay the computer software did not give me the option to review the 10+ questions that I had marked. When I got to to the last questions, the only option I was given was to click NEXT. Upon clicking the button, it brought me to a screen prompting me to choose to submit or to cancel scores. Upon seeing this, I tried to talk to the testing administrators to see whether it would allow me to back up. Sadly, help desk said all I could do was submit. I was able to see my score which was one score away from what I needed it to be. Upon leaving the testing site, I immediately called praxis and informed them the situation. They informed me all I could do was email praxis and inform them the situation. They'll look into it and decide. I'm so upset and frustrated. I was just one point away from a passing score. Had I been able to review those marked questions I'm sure I would've passed.

17. heba

heba Rookie

Jun 20, 2014

Sorry to hear that. I'm taking the computer version in August. I'll keep that in mind. How did you find the test? Was it similar to the practice questions?

18. suwun7

suwun7 Rookie

Jun 27, 2014

Hi Reba I thought it was pretty straight forward. Nothing too difficult having that I really just spent 1 week on it. Definitely go with what they tell you ...you need to review as per their study guide on ets website. I felt pretty comfortable with the exam.

Update, regarding my situation, they opted to let me re-take without a re-charging me again. Whew!

19. heba

heba Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

thats awesome. good to know. glad things worked out. :)

20. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2014

I just took the computer version last week. It was fairly close to the practice test you can buy from ETS (for $13). The biggest difference that I could tell is that the real test was much wordier. My practice test score and actual score shown at the end of the test were nearly identical.

My background in biology is not fabulous (I've just had the basics plus a lot of chemistry, environmental science and oceanography) and I only had a week lead time to prepare, but it was still pretty doable. My score wasn't great, but I passed easily enough. The only parts that I found challenging were some of the lab questions. I would recommend studying some of that material and watching some you tube lab videos or simulations. I found a few gel electrophoresis videos to watch since I knew I remembered very little from my analytical chem classes, and was very glad I did. One five minute video = 2 correctly answered questions! Every bit helps.

For what it's worth, my thoughts on the test:

You can pass if you are weaker on biology specifics if you have great reading comprehension skills and a solid general science background. Many questions can be teased out simply with those skills. I've always been fortunate to be a good test taker and I'm a fast reader. I think that this test would be difficult for a slower reader. I can easily see how someone solid with the content might struggle. Some of the questions were very obscurely (and unneccessarily) worded. I am sure that some questions put a non native speaker at a disadvantage.

If you do not have the best reading comprehension skills, particularly under pressure when speed is required, I think you can compensate by nailing the less involved questions by really knowing the vocabulary and concepts.

Of course, if you can do both, you are golden.

(If I actually do need to teach a section of bio, I will definitely be doing a great deal more rigorous study. For now, I just needed a pass.)