Praxis II biology 5235

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by heba, May 9, 2014.

1. heba

heba Rookie

May 9, 2014

I'm taking the bio praxis soon. Can anyone give me tips on how to study? I brought the college textbook but is it enough? I'm really nervous.

3. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

May 16, 2014

Make sure it's the actual Praxis book. It follows along pretty closely with what they test on. Do the practice questions so you can get an idea of how the questions are worded. It's learning scenario based so not every question will be straightorward: Evolution can be explained as a) b) or c). Some questions are but a lot of them present classroom or lab scenarios. I believe I was also able to Google practice tests too. It's been a few years.

The Cliff Note Biology book is helpful to suppliment some info too.

4. heba

heba Rookie

May 17, 2014

Thank you. I heard mixed reviews that the praxis books were way easier than the actual test. That's why I was worried to study from them

5. redbee

redbee Rookie

May 20, 2014

I just passed my exam in December. I used the praxis study guide to see what topics were covered on the exam. What really helped me was SAT Subject exam by Barron study guide. It explains the topics very well. I didn't have time to read through the entire textbook, so Barron was a good substitute. I also bought the practice test by Praxis online. I would say the real test was harder than the practice test though. But if you go through Barron, you should be ok. I passed it with 178 first time. Good luck.

6. heba

heba Rookie

May 20, 2014

Thank you redbee. Do you think a college textbook would be helpful to review from?

7. redbee

redbee Rookie

May 21, 2014

I think it depends on how much time you have. High school Biology textbook is sufficient. But, I only used it as a reference. YouTube has lots of videos that are helpful. I said the real test was harder for me only because I hadn't taken a test in a very long while. I had never taken any exam on the computer before, so that played a big part too. By the way, only study the topics that are mentioned on the ETS site, otherwise you will be wasting time studying something that won't be on the test.

8. redbee

redbee Rookie

May 21, 2014

oh, one more thing. You can't use calculator, so make sure you can do math without it. I didn't know, found out when I walked in the exam center. Yikes!!

9. heba

heba Rookie

May 21, 2014

Yeah that makes sense. I don't want to waste time studying topics that aren't on the test. Did u study the practice tests to find the right topics? Or I mean how did you know what topics to cover? What did u use from the ets site? I bought a retired test from the website if that helps.

10. heba

heba Rookie

May 21, 2014

What type of math related questions were on there? :-(

11. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

May 21, 2014

The only math I remember was a genetics problem. Easy enough without a calculator.

Just get the ETS study guide for the test- it will tell you exactly what to study. Biology is too broad of a field to try to just do it on your own. There is stuff in there that's obvious and some stuff you might not think to study. You can order the book through ETS.

I thought the actual test ran pretty consistent with the practice exams. It was the same difficulty level, IMO.

I also listened to the Khan Academy videos. Doing so helped with repetition and memory of things. He's a really great instuctor!

12. heba

heba Rookie

May 21, 2014

Thanks MonicaWinter. For biology, I only saw one book on the ETS website and it covers like 4 science praxis exams. Is that the one you're talking about? I also bought the praxis biology book from REA.

13. heba

heba Rookie

May 21, 2014

Thanks again guys for all your help. I appreciate all feedback. I'm just so nervous.

14. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

May 21, 2014

Ill search for the book here tomorrow.

15. heba

heba Rookie

May 21, 2014

Thankyou :)

16. redbee

redbee Rookie

May 22, 2014

yah, as MonicaWinter said, that's pretty much it. I bought the practice exam from ETS website too. The ETS study guide also gives you a short version of the test, 75 questions. Only complaint I had with it was that it doesn't give you the conversion table so you really don't know where you stand.

17. heba

heba Rookie

May 22, 2014

I can't find the ETS study guide. Do you know what's the ISBN number or what's it called? I only saw one book for biology and I'm not sure if that's it.

18. redbee

redbee Rookie

May 22, 2014

19. heba

heba Rookie

May 22, 2014

Oh ok. Yah that's the one I saw too. Ok I'll look into getting this one. Thanks again :)

20. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

May 23, 2014

I swear I had one just for biology. I'll hunt around for it. I forgot (sorry).

Here it is: Praxis II Biology Content Knowledge by Laurie Ann Calliha. And Rebekah Warner. Published by REA.

21. heba

heba Rookie

May 23, 2014

Yes!! I have that one from REA but I heard the practice exams were too easy in this book. And weren't very similar to the real test. Did u find that to be true, MonicaWinter?