Praxis-FACS-5122

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by teacher16, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Liz Honore

Liz Honore Rookie

Jun 1, 2019

Thanks #MsMar! since reading your reply, I've been focusing on Foods/nutrition, Developmental theories, Resource Management and the FCCLA/AAFACS Standards. These are the sections that have 20+ questions on the Praxis and then a little less time on the sections like sewing. Hopefully that will help also. Some of the focus has changed in recent years, so although they are in the books the FACS teacher I spoke to said they don't really cover sewing as much so it gets tricky.

Hattie Taylor likes this.
  2. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 1, 2019

Yeah, in my state (PA) there are no longer any sewing related standards in the FCS standards. I know many schools still teach it as part of FCS, but you kind of have to stretch the standards a bit to apply any type of sewing to them. At my school for example the kids learn to sew on a button and then they sew buttons on a sock for a sock puppet skit. The skit itself ties into child development, so that's how we're able to keep this project even though the actual button sewing isn't really part of the PA FCS standards any more.

Anyways, back to the test, your plan to study the areas that have the greatest focus is smart. I remember there being many resource management, developmental theories, food prep/safety and nutrition questions for sure. For the textiles, if you get some general overview on what different fabrics are made from and used for, that will hopefully cover that area pretty well.

Liz Honore likes this.
  3. Liz Honore

Liz Honore Rookie

Jun 1, 2019

So glad you think that I'm on the right track as far as studying goes. I'm teaching at a High School in VA and attempting a move from ESOL to FACS so this is all new-ish for me. I have a degree in Chemistry and have taught Health & Fitness in private schools eons ago so the words are familiar but definitions - really foggy! The more I study the more excited I get about being able to teach FACS but then the more anxious I get about passing! It's a vicious cycle that I was able to take control of by making those focal points my priority. I like the sock puppet skit as a way to keep the sewing in the curriculum. There are still times when knowing how to sew is helpful. Thanks for the textiles tip, I'm currently studying natural vs synthetic along with their main attributes like; strength - elasticity and stuff like that. Some of the other study sites include things like where they originate from but I'll cut my losses there!

In any case, you've been so helpful and have calmed me down tremendously. I'll keep you posted.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 1, 2019

I got my FCS cert as an add on as well. I went to school for elementary ed but decided I'd rather do FCS. I decided that rather late in my course work so it made more sense to finish up my el ed and then do the Praxis for FCS. It's been good though that I have my K-6 cert as twice I've lost my FCS job due to budget cuts and have had my job switched. After 4 years in 6th grade at my current school I am finally switching back to FCS due to a retirement. Middle school FCS is definitely my favorite. I did high school for 3 years teaching a variety of foods classes as well as nutrition. Got bumped out for budget cuts and spent three years in 5th grade at that district. Then switched districts and had only one year as middle school FCS before I got bumped.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

5. Liz Honore

Liz Honore Rookie

Jun 3, 2019

OMG! I passed - got 166... there were some detailed questions for which I simply guessed based on my knowledge of latin roots, suffixes and prefixes. But overall, I think my focused review of the sections with a higher percent of questions really helped me. Now I definitely have to look for some type of professional development this summer to get me in shape for next school year.

The HS that I teach in is the opposite of what you described in your county. FACS is growing in our county at least and they have a shortage of qualified teachers. The position I applied for was a newly created full-time FACS load due to a high student demand for those courses. That position is gone but there are still 3 classes available that I can teach and will then supplement with ESOL courses. Thanks so much for your help! It was nice to talk to someone about it in the last days before taking the test.

Now I can go back to normalcy without having to panic about making extra time to study after work!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2019

Congratulations, Liz Honore, and especially for taking advantage of the tools you had at hand!

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 3, 2019

Congrats! Best of luck to you! Glad to hear FCS is alive and well where you are.

8. Hattie Taylor

Hattie Taylor New Member

Jun 3, 2019

Congratulations! I am taking advantage of your study method and have been emphasizing those areas for the past 2 days. This will also be an add-on certification for me to teach an Early Childhood Education class. It was a blessing to find this site and actually have people who responded to the post in a timely manner. My test is tomorrow and I pray that I have the same results.

9. Liz Honore

Liz Honore Rookie

Jun 3, 2019

Good luck to you.... I hope that you have good results also. Feel free to write again if you have any questions.

10. Hattie Taylor

Hattie Taylor New Member

Jun 5, 2019

I made a 159. I passed!

11. Liz Honore

Liz Honore Rookie

Jun 6, 2019

Oh AWESOME.... it's a good feeling isn't it :) so happy for you - keep in touch because I expect that we'll both have similar growing pains :/

12. Jody

Jody New Member

Jun 18, 2019 at 2:38 PM

Ok so i took my exam a week ago and received a score of 149. A passing score for me is 153. From my understanding selected response questions with 3 possible answers changes that unofficial score. I had like 10 questions that was stated select 3 answers out of 5 possibilities. My question is could I possible make a 153? It was the 5122 fcs exam. Also had a lot of questions that were teaching related like classroom settings. I believe those questions were pre test questions for a new edition.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019 at 2:48 PM
  13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 19, 2019 at 4:10 AM

That sounds like an unofficial scaled score, Jody - and if that's what it is, it is unlikely to change, I'm afraid.